Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Oscar Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good 

- Some incredible films spread throughout the categories - Anatomy of a Fall, May December, Past Lives, Oppenheimer! It's been an incredible year! I haven't seen a few of the nominees yet (American Fiction, Poor Things), but overall I don't have too many complaints. 

- I think it's wild that so many Oscar pundits didn't have Annette Bening and/or Jodie Foster as nominees. They seem to be the "villains" of the nominees this year, but they both give incredible award-worthy performances in Nyad and they are well-loved by their fellow actors and audiences. OF COURSE they were going to be nominated, I don't care how many pre-cursers they missed (but both got in SAG nominations, which is usually the most telling for the acting categories) - if you didn't have them in your predictions, I'm going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about. 

- There are a lot of proposed "snubs" that I totally agree with: Leo DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, Greta Lee. Sorry, these were not the best performances of the year. 

- How random is it that El Conde got in for Cinematography and absolutely nothing else??? So wild, but I love it!

- Society of the Snow is SO GOOD (thoughts coming soon)! I would love for it to win International Feature, but I think that's going to The Zone of Interest since it's nominated for Picture too (no complaints - I haven't seen it yet, and from what I've read, I'm going to love it) 

- Some categories that I think Barbie should have succeeded in and did (and should win) - Costume (how is it even a competition at this point?). And Production Design. 

The Bad

- Excuse me, but Barbie over Killers of the Flower Moon for Adapted Screenplay is hilarious to me. I didn't love Killers (thoughts will be posted soon), but it's an incredibly difficult source to adapt from. I get that a lot of people love Barbie, but objectively it's a really dumb movie! Entertaining but dumb. 

- And while we're talking about Barbie, I do love a bit of chaos when it comes to nominations, but America Ferrera??? Because of that one monologue? Excuse me, that one stupid monologue??  It's so fucking stupid it made my brain hurt. And Ryan Gosling? These are not award-worthy performances! 

- The whole Supporting Actress category is the most unexpected, which I appreciate, but - the actual nominees are wild to me. Again, America, but also...Emily Blunt - she gets completely lost in the film surrounded by better performances. And, the favored to win - Da'Vine Joy Randolph with one of the most horrendous Boston accents put on film. I do love Danielle Brooks, though (I haven't seen The Color Purple yet, but I think I have to root for her by default?? Jodie has enough awards for now).

- Well, I guess I'll say it - Lily Gladstone is extremely one-note in Killers of the Flower Moon (again, thoughts will be posted soon). I think this is a case of everyone jumping on a bandwagon and Hollywood wanting to pat themselves on the back for nominating a Native American (finally!!). I know it's extremely uncool to say among film twitter (which is why I'm not really a part of the community, I just follow along), but she did nothing for me in that film. 

- While I really loved Past Lives, how does it get in Best Picture with only ONE other nomination?? I'm happy for the Screenplay nom (the one nomination I would have chosen for it, as well. Although I could see a case for Lead & Supporting Actor), but if it misses every other category then it shouldn't be in Best Picture. Obvi. 

- Maestro is a bad movie. It's well-made, sure. But the acting (from both Bradley Cooper & Carey Mulligan) is atrocious. And the story is boring and pointless. I hated it. The fact that it's nominated in any category shows you just how important the whole "campaigning" process is. I hope it walks away from the ceremony with zip. 

The Snubbed 

- Charles Melton is incredible in May December, as is Natalie Portman. Overall, May December didn't perform as well as I would have wanted (Yay for the Screenplay nomination), but I think I expected that. I know a lot were rooting for Melton, but the good news is that he got a ton of buzz for this performance and I'm sure we'll see a lot more from him in the future. 

- I do think that Greta Gerwig should have been nominated! As stupid as the movie is, it's INCREDIBLY made - and you can tell that Gerwig put so much thought and detail into every single moment. She also made the highest grossing film of the year! As a female director with a female lead about being female! I'm not always a fan, but I give credit where it's due, and she is DUE. 

- Again, I love the chaos of the Supporting Actress category, but I would have loved if Rachel McAdams made it in (especially if you compare her mini-monologue to Ferrera's. McAdams made me cry IN PUBLIC!). And if they wanted chaos why not pick Pattie LuPone for Beau is Afraid?? 

- How does a film like Asteroid City get snubbed for Production Design??? I think Barbie should win, but this should have at least garnered a nomination, surely?? 

- There are A LOT of incredible performances that were never part of the Oscar conversations this year like Florence Pugh for A Good Person, Joaquin Phoenix for Beau is Afraid, Gael Garcia Bernal for Cassandro, Taron Egerton for Tetris, Mia Goth for Infinity Pool. I could go on and on, which just goes to show how much of a game this whole thing is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment