Tuesday, January 16, 2024

4 Thoughts on The Emmys

1. The Host - I don't know much about Anthony Anderson - I've never seen Blackish, but I think I've seen some things with him in it and I don't mind him. I don't think he's, like, hilarious or anything, but certainly not as bad as some of the previous Emmy hosts have been. I think he had a good sense of what his job was - and that is to celebrate television. This is the best way to stay "safe" with an overly critical audience, while also still being entertaining. I think that having his mom as the playoff band is actually really funny "you can't ignore my momma". The bit got a bit awkward when she actually started telling people to wrap it up, but overall it addressed the subject in a lighthearted manner (and realistically, the winners can't just talk forever! They have to keep the show moving!). I also laughed at him in the AHS latex bodysuit. Overall, I think he did an excellent job - he didn't tell any offensive jokes, kept it simple, and shared his love of television and its stars! That's how you do it. 

2. The Show - It's super weird to air the Emmys in January, after The Golden Globes. A postponement due to the writer's strike, caused shows from 2022 to win awards in 2024. Like, The Bear wins are for season 1! Even though they've already won GGs for season 2! But other than that, Wow. What a great show! One of the best awards shows in recent memory. I hope everyone behind these things takes extensive notes and continues to do The Emmys exactly like this going forward. I do think that building those replicated sets is a little much for how little screentime they actually had. I almost would have preferred less sets with the cast reunions having more time (they give out multiple awards and banter in between). But kudos to the production team for pulling all that off! I loved seeing all the cast reunions too - Martin, Ally McBeal, All in the Family, Cheers  - LOVE IT. I also liked that they gave time for shows that feel like legacies even though they are still going like Grey's Anatomy and It's Always Sunny. And they invited television LEGENDS to present (like Carol Burnett, Joan Collins, Marla Gibbs, etc.). The show started off super emotional with Christina Applegate being the first presenter. She did a fantastic job of trying to keep it funny and lighthearted ("body not by Ozempic"), but, sorry, we're all still going to be devastated with her MS diagnosis and we ARE going to clap for every single thing she says and does! Then the In Memoriam section KILLED ME. I was thinking the whole time, it's weird they are celebrating all these tv shows with no mention of Friends, but I think it would just be too soon for any of the cast members right now. And then when they started the In Memoriam, I knew they were going to end it with Matthew Perry, but I didn't expect them to change the song to the Friends theme *cries forever*. It's insane at how many tv legends we've lost in the last 15 months (Andre Braugher, Angela Lansbury, Suzanne Somers, Kirstie Alley, Norman Lear, Bob Barker, Paul Reubans, Leslie Jordan, Alan Arkin, Lance Riddick...the list just keeps going!). 

3. The Winners - Elton John is in the EGOT club!!!! That's probably my favorite thing that happened at this years Emmys. I wish he was there to accept it! My other favorite win is probably Niecy Nash-Betts. While Dahmer felt like it came out a million years ago, her performance has stuck with me. And I love that she shouted out all the "black and brown women who go unheard and over-policed" and that she also said "I wanna thank...me!" because she should be extremely proud of herself. She's been constantly told that she should stay in her lane (comedy) but she persisted and she gave a performance of a lifetime. I'm happy for the other winners - everyone from Succession and The Bear, all super talented, but it did make for a boring list of winners. Kieran has been my favorite among the cast since the first season, so I'm happy that he overtook his co-workers for the final season. I don't think Beef should have won so many awards. I would be fine with Steven Yeun, but that's it (but obviously I wanted Taron to win that. However, Yeun does give a fantastic performance I can't deny that. I think Taron's role was far more complicated, and he's just consistently snubbed. It would have been a nice surprise win). And Dominique Fishback should have won over Ali. The biggest miss, though, as far as the wins - is not giving Rhea Seehorn the award this year. Better Call Saul hasn't won a single Emmy and that is egregious! I thought for sure they would see the error of their ways and give it to Seehorn. I'm glad that Paul Walter Hauser won because he was incredible in Black Bird - his speech was weird with the slam poetry, but it was perfectly him (also, WHY wasn't Taron there?? I feel like he knew he wasn't going to win, but it's not like him to not support his co-stars? PWH was the favorite to win and has won a lot of the precursors. What's more important than THE EMMYS, Taron? THE EMMYS IN WHICH YOU ARE A NOMINEE?? His next project isn't filming until March. WHAT THE FUCK?! I'm kidding, though, he probably has a good reason. I hope everything is ok!). 

4. The Fashion - The clear winner of best dressed is Ayo Edebiri. That dress is fucking perfect and it fit her like a glove. It's simple, but the shape gives it a modernity. She looked glamourous but still comfortable and really cool. Other looks I loved: Camila Morrone - HOLY SMOKES! Just gorgeous (and again, simple but glamourous). Rachel Brosnahan - that deep wine color with her pale skin is STUNNING (I wish her hair were different though). The worst dresses weren't even that bad, which is nice, most were just boring. Quinta Brunson's dress is a pretty color, but those wrinkles??? And it looks like it's supposed to be that way, too. EW. Sorry, I hate wrinkles (I literally steam every single thing I wear). Merritt Wever and Kirsten Dunst both looked like they were going to work at Ann Taylor instead of The Emmys. And Suki Waterhouse - eeeek. I love pregnant women in fancy gowns, but this was awful with the bow below her belly and the open sides? I can't look directly at it! Also, it's weird that Ellen Pompeo and Kathryn Hahn were practically wearing the same thing (stylists are supposed to prevent that!) and one of them looks a million times better than the other - goes to show you how important fit and styling are! 

No comments:

Post a Comment