Sunday, January 21, 2024

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. Bodies - This is a cool idea for a television show, but I don't think the overall product worked for me. I went into it fairly blind - just a recommendation from someone on twitter that I usually trust with tv stuff. The first episode is a dull, but I love how it ended with going into the future. That definitely peaked my interest. However, overall, I found the rest of the series dull, as well, and also hard to follow. It definitely picks up by the 4th episode - once the whole story is exposed and the audience can finally follow along, but not enough for me. The only timelines I was interested in were the present day and future ones. Both the other past tense ones are booooorrrring. I didn't realize that it was a DC comics story (it's credited at the end as "originally published by DC comics"). I feel like they could have done so much more to make this interesting. It definitely would have benefited from being shorter, too. It could have been a really cool, sci-fi, time travel miniseries with 6 episodes. It's weird because usually shows from the UK are better at keeping the stories concise (at least from what I've been exposed to). For the most part, the acting is okay, but the actor who plays the child version of Elias is really bad, and also hinders my enjoyment of the series. 

2. A Murder at the End of the World - There are elements of this miniseries that are at complete opposites of the spectrum for me. I LOVE Brit Marling so much - she is probably among my favorite current tv/screen writers (along with her writing partner Zal Batmanglij). She has a way of writing sci-fi or spiritual elements that are so grounded in reality and depth of characters. I will watch any and every single thing that she does. However, Emma Corrin and Harris Dickinson are two of my least favorite actors of the "next" generation. Just pure charisma vacuums (and unfortunately Dickinson is one of those actors who is suddenly in everything and everyone loves him. I don't understand!). Corrin is supposed to be like a Gen Z Sherlock Holmes and it just doesn't work at all. And also, there is a 6 year timeline and in the past timelines they are supposed to be a teenager and they definitely look 30. And Dickinson with that haircut?? Is that supposed to be a Gen Z haircut? UGH, anyway. So, as expected, this series definitely has its ups and downs. The first episode is hard to get through - I knew exactly who was going to die, so waiting until the end to expose it is really stupid. The series quickly grows into Glass Onion set in Iceland. It also becomes GLARINGLY obvious who the killer is. Also, *spoilers ahead* the whole twist of the abusive relationship isn't handled very well, in my opinion. But, the setting is absolutely stunning. Iceland is so beautiful - I went there in 2019 and I can't wait to go back! They are obviously in a more secluded atmosphere, but I think the design of this building in the middle of all that snow sets up for a great locale. There's also some haunting music that creates a nice creepy atmosphere. The supporting cast are strong - Marling, Clive Owen, Alice Braga etc. Overall, though, I found most of it really dumb. They clearly don't know how motels work, as they just take over a room of someone who has checked out as if that's a clever way to get a free room (??). They would come clean the room after someone has checked out so they can charge any additional fees right away if necessary. And they would have it on record that they checked out so when they go and ask for a key, the receptionist would have seen that they were lying. It's SO ridiculously dumb, and yet Corrin's character is like "OMG you're so smart" (or whatever Gen Z say nowadays). They're, like, advanced computer hackers and they show that by hacking into garage door openers - but I think that's like hacking 101 (my husband can literally open every garage on our street. He can also hack key fobs and he's certainly not, like, a master hacker or anything. Also, here's a tip because I think it's crazy that people can hack into these things so easily - make sure the door from your garage into your house is *just* as secure as your front door and also don't hit the lock button you your key fob more than once. Sometimes you think you forgot or something so you hit it multiple times, but apparently that's when it becomes easy to hack. Also, generally people are good - my husband can do these things but he doesn't because he's not a psychopath). And, another minor complaint, but the pink color in Corrin's hair kept changing in saturation. Obviously, they didn't film the scenes in order so her hair goes back and forth between being super pink and faded pink, but that's an easy thing to fix (and the script supervisor should have pointed this out???). Some episodes are very boring, too. I fell asleep for a lot of episode 5 and I don't feel like I missed anything, which is kind of a problem. Definitely my least favorite thing that Marling has ever done. 

3. Echo - I'm glad that they do a little recap of Echo's introduction in Hawkeye, because honestly I barely remember it! But some important stuff does happen! I've only watched the first two episodes so far, but I'M IN! It's good! I think Alaqua Cox is brilliant in this role - and I fully believe that she can kick everyone's ass. I read criticism of this character as being the epitome of "woke" - like "oh COME ON she's a Native American AND she's deaf AND she's an amputee", but the thing is...SHE IS! This person exists in our world - a Native American deaf amputee and she's KILLING it in this role! So...what's the problem?! I actually didn't realize that she actually is missing a leg in real life until I started writing this post - and that just makes me love her more. Because actors talk about how rigorous it is to train for fight scenes like this and can you even imagine doing all this training with one leg??? What an inspiration! I love her! Anyway, I'm hopeful that the rest of the series is as strong as the first two episodes. I like that they changed their strategy and kept this as a short 5 episode series and released them all at once. I know some are saying that it's an admission of defeat, but I don't think that was the case? I saw this heavily advertised and it's setting up for bringing back a well-loved character, Daredevil. I don't think they were trying to push it under the rug, I think they're just trying to figure out what's working and what's not. They clearly need to re-strategize. Also, Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin, is perhaps my favorite Marvel villain of all, so I'm excited that he's back. He's genuinely terrifying. Anyway, this is also a disappointing reminder for me that I have yet to conquer sign language. I'm going to try again this year! Also, the burn of Anthropologie is hilarious (something like "you can get your ethnically ambiguous Navajo rug at Anthropologie") because it's true! I was just looking on our website (I work for them) and there is currently a dress that is sooo Native American inspired that I feel like it's cultural appropriation. Sometimes our buyers don't know where that invisible line is and it's troublesome. 

4. Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - I like this show a lot and am hopeful that it gets picked up for another season (I think there's a strong chance. Apple + tends to give their shows a chance and it's fairly well-received). I think the only criticism I read is that there's not enough of the "monsters" fighting, but I like that it's more about the humans only because they did such an incredible job with the casting of this series. First, casting father and son duo, Kurt and Wyatt Russell, as the same character but different timelines is a GENIUS move. Second, I love Kiersey Clemons - I've been a big fan ever since Dope (an incredible film, please watch if you haven't). Third, Holy shit, Anna Sawai is fucking GORGEOUS! And she leads the show really strongly. I think they do a good job with balancing the two different timelines and merging them towards the end. It's all very entertaining, moves quickly, introduces some great twists with certain characters and plots, and has some great visuals. It definitely could have been a solid 8 episodes instead of 10, but other than that I don't really have any negative criticism. The end is fabulous, too, with the glance at King Kong. I thought they would introduce him sooner, but I like that they ended it as sort of a cliffhanger (forcing Apple's hand for a second season, really). 

5. The Curse - I don't know how to properly describe this show, but I think the closest is that it's like Atlanta but it's about white, wealthy, entitled people. The storylines are not even close to being similar, but, like the feel of it is the same - the absurdity, the satire, the uncomfortable moments. In other words, it's absolutely brilliant. It touches on everything from white guilt and the white savior syndrome to gentrification to the ethical dilemma and boundaries of documentaries. I think it's important to note the location is the site of The Manhattan Project. I don't remember if it's quoted in Oppenheimer, but a very famous quote is "A day will come when men and women will curse the name Los Alamos". The fact that they used this location and produced a show in which a white man is more literally "cursed" by a local child is no accident. The show focuses on a couple starring in an HGTV style home renovation type series - in which they build "passive" homes. However, in building these homes, they are relocating the native people. They try to "apologize" for this by creating jobs for the local people and feature their "plight" so-to-speak on the show. I think the more interesting part of this show is that I do believe that these are two people who genuinely are trying to be "good" people. They are just incredibly misguided and the way they expect gratitude and praise from this community that they are taking from is incredible insight into a whole lot of people more interested in being known for good deeds than doing the good deeds themselves. It's performative activism to the 100th degree. And Emma Stone gives the performance of a lifetime - I'm not even being hyperbolic. It's incredible. The best she's ever been (and she's great in everything!). I hope she gets the Emmy for it (crazy that she was already nominated for a Golden Globe for it...under the Drama category, but I think it's going to perform much better with the Emmys because it's getting more and more of a following). She's an actress I can definitely see getting an EGOT in her future (she can sing, too, right??? I think so. How do we get her a Grammy? That's going to be the challenge. She can read an audiobook or something, I'm sure). I admit, I don't really know much about Nathan Fielder. I saw a lot of people hype up his show (I think it was called Nathan for You? Something like that), but I had no interest. But now I might give another one of his projects a chance. Him and Bennie Safdie have incredible comedic chemistry together. I fully thought that episode 8 was the finale - and was even fully satisfied with the ending, only to realize that there were two more episodes yet to air (score!! The first time I felt happy that a series was longer than I expected!). And let me tell you, that finale is one for the ages. It's completely unexpected, hilarious, dark, surreal, and haunting. And that Rachael Ray cameo - with her just completely destroying the idea of a "passive" home is just brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment