Monday, January 8, 2024

4 Thoughts on The Golden Globes

1. The Host - Wow. Spectacularly bad host. One of the worst in history. I had never even heard of Jo Koy before this - I saw a few people comment that his stand-up is funny, so I'm not sure what happened here. He seemed to realize that it wasn't going well and defensively started blaming the writers and commenting that he didn't write all the jokes, which is just rude?! In a year in which we saw one of the biggest writer's strikes in history, you're going to burn your writers? I can't even really think of any joke that stood out? Maybe the one about Keoghan's penis? But also, making the actors in the audience extremely uncomfortable is not a good look (I feel like only Ricky does that well). You know you did a bad job when Jared Leto upstages you as actually being funny (he pokes fun at himself and method acting). He kind of disappeared from the rest of the show after the monologue, which was a smart choice. 

2. The Show - Luckily, the show wasn't as bad as the opening monologue. Some awkward moments, for sure, but the presenters were mostly funny. The show moved quickly, the speeches were lovely, and everyone seemed to be having a good time. The best bits included The Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse cast doing a bit where the studio execs wrote their banter "I am relatable", Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig proving once again that they should be hosting these things with their silly little jazzy dance, and Keri Russell and Ray Romano telling the "truth". My favorite presenter pairing though was Andra Day and Jon Batiste - they just looked like they were having a ton of fun and their little Mario Brothers music bit made me laugh. Some of the presenter bits didn't work (pairing Kevin Costner with America Ferrara - poor America, she really tried to keep it going), but overall I think there were more good than bad. Most of the speeches seemed really genuine - my favorite is probably Kieran Culkin, first with his "nightmare" declaration (winning an award and having to stand up in front of everyone with millions of people watching is definitely a nightmare to me, too), and then his continuation of being really happy that he won "suck it Pedro, sorry!" made me giggle. I also liked Ayo's speech because she seemed so nervous that her voice was shaking. She's just the best - so sweet and genuine, and thanking her agent's and publicist's ASSISTANTS is the right call ("the people who actually answer my emails"). But perhaps the best part is Jennifer Lawrence mouthing "If I don't win, I'm leaving" as her name was being announced as a nominee. I wish more people had fun with these things, but some just take it so seriously. Also, the Suits reunion!! I loved their little joke about waiting "so long for your show to get recognition". I, for one, watched Suits from the very beginning (I'm a trendsetter, what can I say). 

3. The Winners - I can't complain too much about the winners chosen, most are deserving. But I do think the Globes played it a little safe. On the television side - The Bear and Succession dominated, which is deserved. I know a lot are upset that The Bear is considered a comedy, but this has been happening for YEARS (I can remember all the way back to when Weeds was nominated as a comedy). Yes, it's weird, but I don't think the Globes care. They also put Emma Stone's performance for The Curse in Drama? It's clearly satire, which is a form of comedy. I'm surprised that Elizabeth Debicki won over Meryl Streep, but I do think her Princess Diana was better than most. I'm not the biggest fan of Beef - it's a good mini-series, but definitely not the best (especially if the new season of Fargo is included!). I do think Steven Yeun deserved his win though. And for the movie side, Cillian, Nolan, RDJ and an Oppenheimer win! I think they'll take the Oscars too. I know a lot of people are rooting for Barbie, but it's just a fun movie - not necessarily awards worthy, and I feel like some people don't understand the difference. It did take home the most ridiculous win for "Cinematic and Blockbuster Achievement" or some shit like that (I do think that award was put there to get Taylor Swift to come to their party. I'm surprised she didn't win it). I'm not the biggest fan of The Holdovers - and the performances, but I do like both Giamatti and Randolph, so it is what it is. I haven't seen Poor Things yet, but Emma deserves every award she gets. 

4. The Fashion - On to the important stuff! My favorite of the night is probably Emma Stone - she just looked stunning. I also really liked Elle Fanning's dress (I just bought a dress with a big bow across the chest like that! I was unsure about it, but I guess it's a trend now), Arianna Greenblatt - LOVE the crisp white shirt with the cummerbund and trousers, and Julia Garner's dress with the weird neckline - it almost looks like suspenders. There were some really bad dresses, too, of course. Kate Beckinsale in the Madonna Halloween costume and Sarah Snook's dress was really unflattering. I was disappointed by Florence's dress - very safe and boring (although it was sheer under the stage lights - the cameraman slowly figuring that out and backing up made me laugh really hard). Gillian Anderson looked like she was wearing a wedding dress, but I'll give her credit for the subtle embroidered vagina design (you have to zoom in on the pictures to see it). The headpiece that Rosamund Pike wore looked ridiculous - it's the Golden Globes, not the funeral of your wealthy husband that you just killed. I love that Margot Robbie continued the Barbie looks, but this is one of my least favorite looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment