Sunday, March 28, 2021

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Ammonite - This feels like the Hollywood version of Portrait of a Lady on Fire - queer historical romance, but in English and with more well-known actors. I wasn't the biggest fan of that movie - I know, I know, bad cinephile! I acknowledge that it is a good film, but it's just not something that I connect to and I feel the same way about this. It's just really, really boring. It's most disappointing because Francis Lee's God's Own Country is an unforgettable film, so I was expecting more of the same. I think it's extremely weird that people had a meltdown at the age difference in Malcolm & Marie, but I heard nothing about this? A 20 year age gap is definitely more questionable (to each their own and all that, but when there is a whole adult gap between people, the power structure within the relationship is significant and can be an issue). Anyway, the acting is strong (because OF COURSE IT IS - two of the best actresses from their respective generations), and there are some lovely shots. I'm also impressed at how far they went with the sex scene. 

2. Cherry - *spoilers* This is just, flat-out, a terrible movie. It's really unfortunate. It's kind of crazy because I watched the movie and then a few days later I saw a trailer for it and I was like "ooooh what's this..it looks great..." only to realize it was for this movie. But just like the trailer - it has so many elements that should make it great. So...let's get into it. First, I adore Tom Holland (really, really adore), but I think he's miscast here. I think it's great that he's branching out, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But I will say, he does such a good American accent and his voice is so soothing, which is important to me (seriously, accents and vocals are weirdly important for me to enjoy films/tv). Second, it's about one of my least favorite cliches - an entitled white boy drug addict. Now, I know it can be argued that his drug addiction is a coping mechanism for PTSD as a war veteran (which is NOT what I define as "entitled white boy drug addict" and is actually a far more interesting, but also mildly overdone topic), but he's a druggie before he joins the Army and the only reason he joins is because his girlfriend breaks up with him so she can go to college and become her own person (poor guy...). AND he has parents who are barely mentioned (probably because he'll lose the audience sympathy card), that BUY HIM A HOUSE. Sorry, but I don't feel any sympathy for him. Like, none whatsoever (and I just hummed "Cold Hearted" in my head - "C-c-c-c-cold-hearted...oh ah ah. C-c-c-cold-hearted...ssssnake"). Third, I would love to root for the love story here, because it starts off really sweat ("I think I adore you", so cute!), but then it just moves so quickly and they don't really give any reasons as to why exactly he's so smitten - she's cute and sweet, but it would have been great if she was given some depth (and that bow around her neck is less than subtle...). Fourth, those war scenes are rough. Just cliche after cliche ("I've got you" - I honestly, almost laughed out loud). Fifth, that asshole shot...is...a choice (WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?? Whose idea was that and why didn't anyone talk them out of it?). Sixth, the bank robbing scenes are just really unbelievable and full of other less than subtle anti-capitalism dialogue and imagery ("Capitalist One" and "Bank Fucks America" are the bank names. Seriously). Seventh (I think? I may have lost count), those breaking the 4th wall moments are especially jarring and unnecessary - we already know what is going through his head because the entire movie is Obvious. Okay...I think I'm done now. It's a shame that this is based on a true and probably incredible story - to turn this story into this is just catastrophic. 

3. Promising Young Woman - *also spoilers* I thought that I was going to be disappointed by this - sometimes when things reach a certain critical level, I feel like expectations get too high and then are sadly not met. So I sort of prepared for that with this. I'm so happy to say that I absolutely freaking loved it with all my heart. It's dark but also very funny, and there are so many moments of pure genius. Carey Mulligan is the best she's ever been - and I actually think this is the first role that I really felt like she became a different person. She also felt like a very real person - someone that I (and many women) can connect to. I don't always feel it's necessary for women to direct stories about women, but I think it's interesting how obvious it is that a woman directed this. Most of it is felt in the details - like her multi-colored nail polish. But I think the biggest "detail" is the casting of the male characters. There's this misconception that women should have some sort of instinctual talent in knowing if men are assholes and this movie challenges that idea by having the "nice guys" as not just the traditional movie "nice guys", but guys who are most famous for roles that everyone (men and women) would describe as "harmless". Adam Brody, best known as Seth Cohen from The O.C. (one of the greatest shows ever. Period.), Christopher Mintz-Plasse, who will never overcome his "McLovin" nickname, and Max Greenfield, otherwise known as Schmidt from New Girl are exactly the type of guys women are told to date if they don't want to be treated like shit (I assume Bo Burnham falls into this category as well, but I'm not really familiar with him). The point is that if we can't even trust the "harmless" guys, then who exactly can we trust? And I think it's a direct rebuttal on the "not all men" attitude, because OF COURSE it's NOT ALL MEN, but...um...*whispers* it actually kind of is? This is highlighted again towards the end when she confronts Burnham's character with his past and he replies "you've never done anything you're ashamed of?", which is very telling (as if being ashamed of a mistake is the same as watching someone being raped and not doing anything about it). The complicity aspect is a great angle, too, because I don't think people like to think about their own involvement. And the film includes women in this, which is very important. But the aspect of the film I love the most is that it isn't this woman going full psychopath and assaulting/murdering sexual assaulters (which I know is what some people were expecting and were very disappointed...that this woman isn't a murderer...sorry?). Instead, she's forcing people to take responsibility for their actions, confront their own ugly realities, and maybe become the people they think they are? I find it sort of hopeful, honestly. And that's rare for movies like this. I will say that the only real fault in the film is the ending - the convenience of it all felt really inauthentic compared to the rest of the movie. But, it's also sort of cheeky and sarcastic - so I don't exactly hate it, but it's just not as perfect as everything that comes before it. 

4. The Informer - Predictably terrible - but I had to watch a movie with Ana de Armas and Joel Kinnaman! This is just really dull and I couldn't even follow the plot. I knew what was happening overall, but the character motivations are non-existent. It's a movie that I should like because the plot is right up my alley (It's basically The Departed, which is still in my Top 5 movies of all time). And obviously Joel and Ana are wonderful (and Ana's hair is GLORIOUS), unfortunately the movie also has Common and Rosamund Pike - and they are both awful (not as awful as the girl who plays opposite of Common - wow...that accent...). I don't really have anything else to say, which really tells you everything you need to know. 


5. Another Round - I enjoyed this movie a lot. For a story about four middle-aged men stuck in a rut, it's surprisingly original. I feel like it's a very real, honest discussion about alcohol as they embark on a social experiment to see how daily consumption effects their lives. And it's super rare for stories to admit that sometimes it does...make things better. Everyone has a different relationship with alcohol, but there is something to be said for controlled consumption (for some people). There are a lot of people who are considered "the greatest" of their field (whether its artists, writers, musicians, inventors, etc.) who have admitted that alcohol helps them succeed. I think the problem happens when it is no longer controlled and if you are someone who doesn't have self-discipline or if you have addictive tendencies, then this is when it becomes harmful to you and most likely everyone around you. Anyway, this movie is really sweet but also heartbreaking, has some very thoughtful and complicated dialogue, and Mads is wonderful (of course). However, the last 5 minutes is just a breathtaking piece of cinema - I think the directing nomination is for these 5 minutes alone. The camera-work, Mads dancing along to the perfect song, and the pure emotion being expressed - I could have watched it for hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment