Monday, March 15, 2021

Oscar Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

I'll keep this brief since I already said what I had to say in my Golden Globes post, but here are my thoughts on the Oscar nominations: 

The Good

- My two favorite acting performances both received nominations (I think it's been a long while since that's happened!): Riz Ahmed & Vanessa Kirby 

- LaKeith Stanfield getting in a Supporting Actor nod! I was not expecting that, but it's definitely just as deserving as Kaluuya - although, I'm nervous they might cancel each other out when it comes to voting 

- I haven't written down my thoughts for The White Tiger yet (maybe later today), but I really, really liked it. I'm glad to see it got something. But I also wish it wasn't eligible for this year since it's 2021 (this and Judas really messes up my whole system) 

- Emma. for Costume Design. I'm really hoping for a win here. 

The Bad

- Seriously, 10 Oscar nominations for Mank? I take comfort in the fact that it's not really expected to win any of them, but still. 

- Over the Moon is not good - poorly animated, incomprehensible plot points, and just overall...not good

 I didn't hate on Hillbilly Elegy as much as the chorus of critics did, but if anyone is deserving of an award for that, surely it's Amy Adams? Glenn Close is a legend, but her performance is a little too over-done in this, and it's nominated for a Razzie (which is hilarious. Has that been done before? I feel like it has, but I can't remember) 

- Why nominate only 8 films for Best Picture? - there is definitely a ton of other films that deserved the empty 2 slots 

- I'm really mad about Andra Day, you guys. It's another bland biopic performance just like Renee Zellweger last year and Rami Malek the year before. But I'm really just frustrated because one of the reasons given by "experts" for the Academy snubbing Taron Egerton last year is because Rami won for too similar of a role the year before. So, now what's the excuse?? (and no, I will never get over this)

- Sacha Baron Cohen for The Trial of the Chicago 7? Really?...okay then 

The Snubbed

- I think it's odd that The Devil All the Time has been completely overlooked. I know that I liked it more than most, but it still had fairly good reviews (it had far better reviews than Hillbilly Elegy and that still managed an acting nod). 

- One Night in Miami deserved more - King for a directing nomination, and I would have chosen a different performance to nominate (literally any of the other three over Leslie Odom Jr.)

- As many have noted, the biggest, but most expected snub is Delroy Lindo for Da 5 Bloods - I wasn't as in love with the film as some, but this is a performance of a lifetime 

- I was really hoping for a sneaky nomination for Nicole Beharie, but I knew it was very unlikely

No comments:

Post a Comment