Monday, March 15, 2021

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Supernova - I honestly can not think of two straight men who make a better couple than Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci?. They are just perfect together. Firth is so good in movies like this - it is really reminiscent of his performance in A Single Man, which is one of my favorite performances of all-time (and also the subject matter is sort of similar). This performance is heavy and emotional, but never over-dramatic. But it's Tucci that really stands out, for me. The scene in which Firth reads the speech that he wrote, how he sits there and quietly shakes - it just broke my heart. Dementia is just the worst - and I've said this before, but I feel exactly the way Tucci's character does. I would want to die before the dementia fully set in. Anyway, I like this movie a lot, but I would have preferred some more scenes between our main couple over all of the shots of them driving. I understand that the location they are in is very beautiful (apparently the Lake District in England - I looked it up because it felt like a third main character), but it just became too repetitive - just shot after shot of the RV driving down a tiny road. I also wish the ending had a stronger impact. I am surprised that this movie didn't receive more attention, though, because it seems like something that critics would love. 

2. The United States Vs. Billie Holiday - I know I shouldn't be surprised that the Golden Globes gave an award for this performance, but it's still sort of stunning. If she gets the Oscar, I may just be done with award shows for a while (probably not though, I'm an award show addict). I think Andra Day was obviously a great casting choice, and from what I've read, she really gave it her all and really immersed herself in becoming Billie Holiday. However, the movie is an absolute mess. It's far too long, repetitive, the editing is so atrocious (what are those awkward black & white scenes that are shoehorned in??), and the dialogue is so...stale? It felt like I knew what everyone was going to say before they said it. Day does a wonderful job with the songs & performances, but when it comes to the actual acting part...I'm not so sure. But I think most of that is a dialogue and director issue - especially since Day is new to acting; I think it is definitely someone else's fault that most of it feels really inauthentic. It's always disappointing when a biopic offers absolutely nothing of value (neither educational or entertaining). I admittedly don't know much about Billie Holiday - so I should, in theory, be fascinated by this whole story because it is such an incredible story - and I would happily watch a different movie about her (maybe someone will make a good one? Or has there already been? I feel like I may have read about Diana Ross playing Holiday at some point? Will look into it). This film severely lacks depth and direction, and overall is everything I hate about biopics. 

3. Antebellum - I'm not really sure how I feel about this movie. I read some truly scathing reviews for it that I can nod my head in agreement with, but I watched this 10 days ago and something about it has stuck with me. So, it's not a complete failure, for me. I think part of that is that I didn't know anything about the movie - I really thought I was watching a movie about the horrors of slavery. So, when the modern day twist happens, I perked up with an appreciation for something different. But then, something about it just doesn't work. I think partly because the whole thing feels exploitative, partly a little too heavy-handed, and ultimately, because Get Out does the same thing in a much more interesting way. It fails in balancing being a provocative social commentary and a horror film. The idea is there, though, and it could have been great if it chose one direction or the other. The cast is great - Janelle Monae, Jena Malone, Jack Huston, and one of my favorite young actresses - Kiersey Clemons. I will say that I absolutely hated her friends - especially the one played by Gabourey Sidibe. I don't understand why she was so obnoxiously rude to everyone? Is it supposed to be funny? But even though I hated them, I wish they showed more of what was happening on the "outside". Maybe that's what was missing? On a slightly spoilery side note - I don't understand the appeal of Civil War reenactments. Acknowledging history is important, but this tradition is weird and unnecessary. 

4. The White Tiger - I like this movie - it's like a combination of The Great Gatsby and Slumdog Millionaire, and it works really well. I wasn't the biggest fan of Slumdog Millionaire, as I felt that it was really contrived and inauthentic. This, however, feels a little more real to me. I went to India a little over 4 years ago and I think the best way to describe it is overwhelming. It's pure sensory overload. And, as this film shows, the class distinction is palpable. I was there for a very extravagant wedding thrown by a wealthy family. We had a driver to bring us anywhere we wanted to go, and while it was overall a lovely experience, it also felt very strange to just have someone waiting at our beck and call. This movie follows the story of a driver trying to break through his life circumstance and find success (a very typical "rags to riches" story). So much of it is done so well, but perhaps my favorite part is the scenes with Priyanka Chopra (and not just because I love her and she is gorgeous. I seriously sat through all of Quantico for her. And the other hot people on that show, of course). The way this character thinks that she's being helpful and empathetic by calling out the unfairness of the situation, and the mistreatment of the workers, but in reality she's just as condescending and entitled - it's fascinating to watch (and very smart commentary on people who think they are "woke"). The first hour is really exciting, layered, gorgeous, and darkly funny. Unfortunately, the second hour doesn't live up to the beginning - it's not bad or anything, it just goes nowhere and starts to feel repetitive until the very end. Adarsh Gourav is perfect in the leading role - as someone who you really want to root for. He has a very sinister charm to him that is very engaging. 

5. Coming 2 America - This is exactly what I was expecting - which wasn't much. I giggled at a few jokes, I groaned at a few jokes, and I cried with laughter at two jokes: (1) the soldiers working out with the shake weights. I can't stop thinking about it. It's just so funny. And (2) "Zamunda, Wakanda, Connecticut" (this one was just more of the way he said it). I know people are upset about the transgender joke "they can turn a penis into a vagina now...that's science!", but in terms of trans jokes...that's not really that bad?? I get that people feel like there are just certain things that we, as an advanced society, should not joke about, but it's just not realistic. There's always going to be trans jokes, just like there will always be rape jokes, and they'll probably never be funny. Although, I also thought joking about 9/11 is something only an insane person would attempt but Kumail Nanjiani proved me wrong in The Big Sick. I don't know what my point is or if I even have one - I guess, I just don't see the point in getting so offended over jokes; it seems exhausting. Anyway, I expected some non PC jokes in this, and for the most part, I thought it was pretty tame. I loved the guest stars - especially the musical acts (I won't spoil it). But, after a while (I'm not sure the exact pinpoint) it got really, really boring. Still a solid 3 star movie, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment