Monday, March 1, 2021

4 Thoughts on The Golden Globes

1. The Host(s) - I was actually a little excited to watch this only because it felt like it might bring a little bit of normalcy to my life. I love watching awards shows, and even though they are not able to do them the "normal" way, I'm glad that they continued the tradition (I was against the idea at first, and thought it should have all just been cancelled/postponed). I love Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, but they have disappointed me with their hosting duties in the past. They did a decent job with this. I mean, they did the best they could, I think, for this situation. I don't like the split screen - I wish they just took turns saying what they had to say. Or had the backgrounds be completely different? Because it made me dizzy looking at it for too long. But I'm glad that they took some necessary digs at the hot garbage that is the Golden Globes. The went from swiping at the nominations for James Corden, Music, and Emily in Paris to downright saying "a lot of flashy garbage was nominated". LOL. The Golden Globes have been a mess for at least a decade - and probably even before that, but I was maybe a bit ignorant to it? But I'm not sure why it took so long for anyone to seriously address it and demand action? It just keeps getting "pointed out" every year that the HFP is made up of mostly old, white men and that they can be easily swayed with swag and such, but...then it's just dropped until the next year until it's "pointed out" again. But maybe now since it's being called out during the actual show, things might change? I'll believe it when I see it. 

2. The Show - Such a chaotic show, and in no way should it have been 3 hours long. I think the biggest takeaway from this is that The Emmys really did such a fantastic job under the same circumstances. Aside from the numerous technical glitches, it felt like no-one had any control in the beginning - and everything was so dragged out because of this, so they had to start playing every single winner off during the last half of the show (which didn't even work. Could the winners even hear the music? I prefer Don Cheadle's solution with his wrap it up hand motions. They should have had someone doing that in every category). I love Maya Rudolph and her muumuus (and her 3 shoes lol), but what was that sketch? I didn't have a clue what was happening and it lasted like 10 whole minutes (I may be exaggerating it). The doctor/celebrity symptoms sketch was really cringe at first, but it ended on a strong note - Glen Close getting offended at being called "over 70" - *gasps* "I'm 45!" and then the nurse's reaction to Andrew Rannell introducing himself *blank stares* "oookay". Overall, it was good, cheesy fun. 

3. The Winners - Okay, so after all the garbage nominations - the actual winners didn't end up being so bad? Not that I actually agree with the winners, but they didn't let James Corden, Music or Emily in Paris actually win anything, so that's, at the very least, a win for the audience. I actually can't think of one category that I agree with the winning pick (out of those nominated) except Supporting Actor going to Daniel Kaluuya. But, I'll also never be mad at The Crown or Schitt's Creek getting wins. I do admit that it's frustrating to see performances that I hate win awards - Rosamund Pike...UGH. Emma Corrin...UGH. Andra Day...UGH. Julia Garner...UGH - oh wait...did Julia Garner NOT WIN?! Thank fuck. Also, this makes it seem like I hate women, but I'm positive that I can probably say the same thing about Sacha Baron Cohen and Jason Sudeikis, but I haven't seen the Borat sequel or Ted Lasso yet. And while we are on the subject of women vs men, when the fuck are awards shows going to stop having gendered acting categories? I've been saying this for decades...but it's even more relevant now? No other profession would separate your job performance by your gender (except in physical sports, which is the only place it makes sense). It's barbaric, really. And going back to my frustration with the winners - I'll never understand the love for Rosamund Pike. She's a terrible actress. And I just watched The United States Vs. Billie Holiday a few hours before the awards, and it is a mess of a film, saved from complete disaster, by a mediocre performance by Day (more on this when I post my thoughts). How that could win over Vanessa Kirby's gut-wrenching performance in Pieces of a Woman? Make it make sense?! Day's win was definitely the shock of the night, but I think we should have seen it coming - the Globes do like to shock with its wins - and remained fairly predictable for the whole night (except for Jodie Foster's win). I haven't written down my thoughts on Nomadland yet, but it's...okay. I'm genuinely baffled as to why it's a frontrunner for winning a director/picture Oscar. 

4. The Fashion - So down to the important stuff, right? RIGHT??? Obviously, I'm kidding, but I genuinely love fashion so, for me, awards shows are always fun to see new trends, gorgeous gowns, and stunning jewelry. But, I honestly kind of wish that the celebrities all followed Jason Sudeikis and Jeff Daniels and said "fuck it". I think it would have been more fun to see them at home, relaxed, makeup off, hair a mess. They always try to pass off as "real people", and this was the perfect time to accentuate that. A few other people pulled this off with a natural, genuine effect - like Jodie Foster (loved her whole vibe), but some decided to go all out - I'm talking to you, Anya Taylor-Joy. She looked absolutely jaw-droppingly stunning, but if felt really unnecessary. Although, I do understand that this is an important moment for them and if they want to dress to the nines, then who are we to judge? I also think that Anya is the only one who had a professional lighting team with her because she is the only one who actually looked good on Zoom (such a feat! Nobody looks good on Zoom). My favorite dress, though, is definitely the one that Gillian Anderson wore because it had a sneaky skull design on it - and  love a good fashionable skull print. And as far as the actual presenters who actually had a reason to dress up - everyone looked fantastic. I love the highlighter green dress that Cynthia Erivo wore, Rosie Perez looked incredible, Tiffany Haddish - stunning. But the real highlight was Jane Fonda, because hot damn. I remember when everyone mocked her for those aerobics videos, but I might have to seek some of them out, because she's definitely in better shape than I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment