Monday, January 30, 2023

Oscar Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

I know I'm a little late on this post (trip to Thailand has delayed some posts - not complaining!), but here are my thoughts on this years Oscar nominations.

The Good

- My two favorite supporting performances: Stephanie Hsu & Barry Keoghan. I really hope they take the win too - both would be surprising and both are more than deserving.

- Colin Farrell (he's deserved way more accolades than he usually receives)

- Triangle of Sadness getting a Best Picture nod?? I was not expecting that! Love it!

- All of the first time nominees! Sometimes I'm hesitant about this because it could end up being disastrous (see: Rami Malek), but Paul Mescal, Barry Keoghan, Ana de Armas, Brian Tyree Henry, and Andrea Riseborough have proven their talent in multiple projects already. It does get weird though when people like Colin Farrell, Michelle Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis are also "first time nominees". Timing really is everything. 

- Speaking of Andrea Riseborough - I'm going to put this in the "good" section for two reasons: (1) She's an incredible actress - I think I first noticed her in Welcome to the Punch and I've followed her career ever since. I have not seen To Leslie yet, but I'm pretty sure the nomination is deserving and (2) She is usually in independent movies, and because of this, she is often ignored as 90% of indie movies are. This "grassroots" campaign felt like more of a support for underseen, undermarketed films and performances, as opposed to this cynical anger about her "stealing" a nomination. The only reason it's being investigated is because nobody made money (that's the truth, if you don't believe it then you have a really warped sense of what Hollywood and awards shows are about). 

- Best Costume for Everything Everywhere (it's not even a competition)

The Bad

- LOL at Top Gun: Maverick. I don't even have words to describe the mediocrity of every aspect of this movie

- The love for Elvis - a nomination for Austin is fine (although I like him even less after his Elvis accent at the Globes), but the rest of the movie is...meh. 

- Andrea Riseborough - yes, I realize that I listed this as "good", but it's also bad for two reasons: (1) While I don't think it was intentional, her nomination did push out one of the expected nominees which would have likely been Viola Davis or Danielle Deadwyler. It's a bit icky when you think about the implications of all these white actors/actresses pushing this performance at the last minute - and having the tactic work. It sets a precedent that could lead to disastrous results for diversity (something that the Oscars already has a problem with) and (2) It kind of sucks that this whole controversy is taking away from Riseborough's talent. I've seen a lot of hate towards her because most people can't find nuance in situations like this. If I were her, this is not how I would want my first Oscar nomination to go down. I almost think that she should voluntarily drop out of the race? Is that something that could happen? 

The Snubbed 

- Thuso Mbedu is incredible in The Woman King and should be the snub that everyone is upset about (I'm not sure if it should be considered a lead or supporting performance, but she outshined her also incredible costars)

- My favorite performance of the year was Rebecca Hall for Resurrection - it was largely ignored, so I wasn't expecting her to sneak in, but there is definitely something to be said about the horror/psychological thriller genre getting ignored every. single. year. 

- How did After Yang get zero nominations? Seriously zip? Cinematography? Directing? 

- I'm not the biggest supporter of Nope, but it has incredible Cinematography and stunning Sound Design. Technically speaking, it's far better than some of those nominated (Elvis, Top Gun)

- Bardo should have received a Screenplay nomination

No comments:

Post a Comment