Wednesday, January 11, 2023

4 Thoughts on The Golden Globes

1. The Host - I don't know much about Jerrod Carmichael, but he started off the show very strong. It felt very real & honest, and discussed the controversy surrounding the Globes and the HFPA upfront without holding back. "I'm here because I'm black" is probably the line of the night. I had such high hopes for the rest of the show, but it felt a little like Carmichael got lost along the way and seemed annoyed that he had to continue telling jokes. Most of his jokes towards the end fell flat (like really, really flat). However, I am a fan for life due to his Scientology quip. It was a ballsy move - joking about Tom Cruise returning his Golden Globes and offering to use them as collateral for the return of Shelly Miscavige. There have been a few hosts who dared to make fun of Scientology (Ricky Gervais definitely never held back), but I can't think of anyone who said something so direct and accusatory. And he did it right before introducing Cruise's Top Gun: Maverick co-stars, which is even more ballsy (the complicity angle is always interesting - we're all complicit. Tom Cruise continues to make blockbuster films and people will trip over themselves to work with him, and we continue to watch! Just one big cycle of what-the-fuck!). Anyway, I just thought he lost his steam and the whole show took a deep dive. I also think the piano elevator music was so weird. I appreciated how much Jerrod kept trying to hype her up - she's definitely talented but it just didn't work for an awards show. 

2. The Show - So the show was kind of awkward, as I expected it to be. There's this weird line that nobody wants to cross, but most did. I saw so many people on "film twitter" absolutely refusing to support this awards show, only to have them give-in and ultimately support the show. I get it. I was always going to watch it, to be honest. Not only am I an awards show junkie, but I love the Golden Globes, in particular. I love that they honor both film and television, and I love that they separate comedy from drama (if only they actually awarded things in the proper category though!). The celebrities tend to get drunk and it feels a little more like a party than the Oscar telecast. I'm a fan. But I was expecting this year to be fairly low-key and a quiet event. I was surprised at how many celebrities actually showed up! They got Brad Pitt and RIHANNA?? And they didn't even win?? That's kind of hilarious (I was at least expecting them to present something? But...nope). And the people who did win took it very seriously. The speeches were so, so long! After the first two wins, I was like "oh fuck this is going to be one long-ass award show". I think it was hilarious that they kept trying to play off the winners and it just...didn't work at all. The speeches were all fine. People love to cry about some sappy speech (seems to be Ke Huy Quan this year), but I like more of a Colin Farrell type speech - he just seems far more genuine than most actors of his caliber (and he's a Blonde fan! He gets it.). Don't even get me started on Austin Butler. I rolled my eyes hard when he started talking in his Elvis voice and I thought okay...enough of the bit, but he just kept going. And then he had the audacity to pretend like he didn't know he was doing it. Fuck off with that nonsense. Actors are so fucking weird and pretentious, but he is far too new to the game to get away with it. I thought it was weird to give Ryan Murphy a lifetime achievement award for 25 years of television (sorry...I feel like lifetime awards should be for like 40+ years of achievements), but it felt fitting given the trouble that the HFPA have been in, to award it to someone who actively finds diverse talent and projects to support. And there is no denying that Murphy has changed the television landscape (in a mostly good way) even if some of his latest projects have felt empty. Eddie Murphy is definitely deserving of a lifetime award, so that was nice to see as well. The presenters were mostly dull. The only one I remember is Regina Hall accepting the award on Kevin Costner's behalf - initially making fun of the dumb teleprompter telling her what to say but then realizing that he was effected by the deadly floods in California and had to shelter in place. The look on her face as she read it was so priceless. I've watched it like a dozen times because it's that perfect and just so fucking funny. 

3. The Winners (& Losers) - There are a lot of talented people that won this year. I think my favorite wins are: 1. Jeremy Allen White - who was incredible for the better part of a decade on Shameless and was always completely ignored. He is so good in The Bear. He brings the same vulnerability and authenticity to the role, and I'm so glad that he is getting recognized now. 2. Colin Farrell for The Banshees of Inisherin. I'm crossing all my fingers & toes that this translates to an Oscar. I think he'll for sure get the nomination, but if Austin Butler beats him I'm going to bang my head against a wall. Farrell has given us 20+ years of wonderful performances. He's due. (also Butler & Farrell should switch their categories? Isn't Elvis considered a musical? Or close enough, at least? That's the part of Elvis that Butler excelled in - he blew those performances away, it's the rest of the film in which he's bland. And Banshees is definitely a dark comedy, but I feel like, in terms of acting, it's a dramatic performance). 3. Paul Walter Hauser for Black Bird. Obviously I wanted Taron to win (UGH and I knew Evan Peters was going to be a threat as soon as I started Dahmer, but I truly think Taron is better - there is no way you can watch ep 5 of Black Bird and tell me that any of those actors are better), but PWH is the more consistent performance in the series. I can't believe that I just listed out my fave winners and they are three straight white men (I AM PART OF THE PROBLEM). There are some other great wins of course - Angela Bassett (Queen! Someone please save her from that 911 show!). "Naatu Naatu" is an incredible song - just full of joy, and I so hope it's performed live at the Oscars. I've written about my love of Amanda Seyfriend's performance in The Dropout already, but I'm glad she got another award for it. Michelle Yeoh deserves the award for her entire body of work (although the more I think about that movie, the more I don't love it - the only awards I would give it are for Stephanie Hsu and for Costume Design). The line in her speech "It was a dream come true until I got here", cuts really deep, though. But there are also, as always, some really what-the-fuck wins. Like House of the Dragon OVER Better Call Saul, Severance and The Crown??? Get the fuck out of here. I like Jennifer Coolidge a lot, but she plays herself on The White Lotus (Niecy Nash is incredible in Dahmer and definitely should have won. Without question.), and the show is not award-worthy good (although the second season is better than the first. And I'm saying this as someone who enjoyed the show!). I don't really have any comment on all the Abbott Elementary wins. I have it on my list, but I keep seeing commercials for it that are not funny, so it keeps moving down the list (although my bff watches it and tells me every day that it's hilarious). 

4. The Fashion - My favorite look of the night is, hands down, Salma Hayek. HOLY FUCK. I don't even really like the dress, but she just looks incredible. My other favorite, of course, is Lily James. The dress is gorgeous and the red is jaw-dropping, but it needed a good steaming (I'm sure it was steamed but then sitting in the limo wrinkled it). I also appreciated that she was sitting next to Taron's table because when they would pan to the audience her dress stood out, so I could immediately find my husband (super convenient). And speaking of my husband, can I also say that his mom looked stunning!! I know it doesn't count, but I'm counting it because she looked better than most of the celebrities. I also liked Jenna Ortega's dress, but her haircut made her look a little matronly. Niecy Nash wore a very flattering dress - it just hugged her perfectly even though it's not exactly my style. Oh and Hannah Einbinder looked wonderful in that retro black and white dress. Super cute. I always like when the guys wear something other than a black tux, but some went a little too far (Andrew Garfield looked like a literal pumpkin). The worst is pretty obvious - Heidi Klum can usually look great in a garbage bag, but this looks was horrendous - it was like a figure skater ran over a muppett. I also did not like Anya Taylor-Joy's two-piece - I expected something more impactful and it didn't even look like it fit her (the skirt had too much material in the waist). 

No comments:

Post a Comment