Saturday, January 29, 2022

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. The Hand of God -
I'm a bit intrigued by Paolo Sorrentino. I've never seen anything of his until this past year when I watched The Young Pope & The New Pope television series. And I honestly only watched that for Jude Law (he's so pretty). While I can't really say that I liked it, there is something fascinating about the style - it's very modern and a bit silly, but visually stunning with surprising music that somehow makes it irresistible. There are certain scenes that I could just watch on a loop because they are so beautiful. However, the story is practically non-existent and it moves at a snail's pace - both series could have been done in two episodes total. I read that this was a bit of an autobiographical story for him, and that seems more exciting because, theoretically, if you take that same passion he shows for style and combine it with a personal story, then that should be a perfect combination. Unfortunately, this is another frustrating experience. There are a few stunning shots, but nothing that will be burned into my memory, and it's quite funny in some parts, but other than that, it's very forgettable (and that's the worst thing a film can be in my opinion). I did like the end, though, with him pursuing his cinematic interests with the feeling of not wanting to live in reality anymore (definitely know that feeling well). And the filmmaker asking him "do you have a story to tell or are you just another asshole?", I feel like a lot of filmmakers/writers really should ask themselves that question more often. 

2. The Last Duel -
Okay, first things first, I have to discuss the accents. It's absolutely bonkers to me that anyone would think it's acceptable to create a film that takes place in France in the 1300s, but not have the actors have a French accent (and really for authenticity, it should just be in French, but that's a whole other discussion and at least I understand the financial reason for this). And even worse, they all have different accents so it's not even consistent. I briefly read about the decision behind this and it seems they thought it would feel more "authentic" to just have their natural accent instead of distracting the audience with fake accents. I'm sorry, but, to me, that sounds like you're making an excuse for not being able to do an inherent part of your job as an actor. If you can't do the accent then maybe you're not right for the role? Plus, they don't actually use their "natural" accent - instead they do some weird vague American accent. I get that this was a bit of a passion project for Damon and Affleck, but casting themselves in roles they can't do is such an elitist, narcissistic move. Their instinct is right in the fact that they would feel inauthentic with these accents, but they also feel inauthentic in this world - the really bad hair style and fake facial hair is far more distracting than an attempt at a French accent, in my opinion (seriously, when I first saw the trailer and spotted Affleck, I laughed and laughed and laughed, which is not an appropriate reaction to this story). So, obviously, the casting is just a complete and utter disaster. And aside from Damon and Affleck, as you already know, I'm not the biggest fan of Adam Driver but he, oddly, fits into this world. There is nothing special about his performance, though. The saving grace is Jodie Comer (who apparently was supposed to sound French? I didn't get that at all. It was definitely more English to my ears). So, not that I've gotten that out - I actually really loved this movie! I didn't expect to, but it's really stunning in a lot of ways. I knew that the story was told in a very Rashomon, different "truths", kind of way about a rape, but I think what I find the most interesting is that their versions don't actually defer that much and that this idea that "she made the customary protest, she is a lady" so it can't be rape, has been passed down for centuries and says a lot more about "perspectives" rather than "memory". Comer is a revelation in her subtleties, but I loved how obvious her emotions are in certain scenes (and the absolute hatred she has for her husband in the later scenes are glorious). The three versions all merge into this brutal "last duel" in a spectacular fashion. Just gripping. 

3. The Tragedy of Macbeth -
There's always going to be the question whether another cinematic version of Macbeth is necessary, and my answer (as a self-identified Shakespeare junkie) will always be yes, as long as it offers something new and/or extraordinary. And I think this film does both successfully. The cast is already intriguing - and unexpected. We know Denzel can deliver a monologue, and he excels in this. Same for McDormand. However, the interpretation of the three witches is sublime/spectacular/brilliant/genius and any other word for one of the best things I've ever seen on film. The way Kathryn Hunter contorts her body is so disturbing and creepy, and I could not take my eyes off of her. I'm not usually a fan of black & white used in modern films, but this is definitely more than acceptable. The use of light and shadows really accents the story in such an innovative way. Plus, some of the shots are just so stunning! I really loved all the scenes with the archways - the illusion of depth within the shadows is chill-inducing. But, the best part is that I can't stop thinking of this movie. At first, I thought "okay that was good!" and rated it 3 & 1/2 stars, but the more I think about it, it might be among my favorites of 2021. There's just something so satisfying about it. (also, yes I realize that I just went on and on about accents in The Last Duel, and this movie does exactly the same thing with having all the actors just use their natural accents instead of having a traditional Scottish accent, but this works because it is an interpretation - it's not set in any sort of realism. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE!)

4. Encounter -
I really, really like this movie, and I'm sad that I've barely heard anyone mention it? Maybe because it's on Amazon and hasn't really been promoted properly, or maybe people were disappointed with the genre tricking (it's...not sci-fi), but I suggest people seek it out, especially if you're a fan of Riz Ahmed. He turns in another incredible performance (Oscar-worthy). It's fairly obvious as to what is going on in this movie right away, so I'm glad that they don't keep it as a "twist" for very long. Although, I did find myself wondering if there still was a "twist" and maybe things still aren't what they seem. *some slight spoilers ahead* I don't think the issue of "Family Annihilators" is a topic that is often explored with this much empathy and I appreciate that. Especially showing him as a loving and caring father - it forces the audience to consider his backstory of foster care, PTSD, and incarceration more thoroughly. His situation is the perfect storm of causing a psychological breakdown and basically, without help, this man is a ticking time bomb. The ending gets a little over-dramatic compared to the rest of the movie. I definitely would have preferred a quieter more thought-provoking ending, but overall this is an excellent movie. 

5. The Dry -
This is a solid adult mystery/thriller film. First, Eric Bana with his Australian accent is a thousand times sexier than Eric Bana without his Australian accent. I don't usually find him this hot, but the accent combined with that tight grey t-shirt is quite something. And, he's also excellent in this (as he usually is). I like the slowly building mystery with the past intertwined with the present day story - it's interesting to figure out how the past effects the present, and I wasn't really sure how it was all going to play out. It's very smartly constructed. There's also a lot of psychological drama involved that quietly deals with guilt that this man feels about the past unsolved murder - it's what drives him to solve the present day case (to absolve him of his guilt...maybe?). The weird thing, though, is that I watched The Kid Detective shortly after this and they are oddly structured the exact same way - so much so that when I started thinking about this movie, I realized that I was totally confusing who the killer is in this. I would get more specific, but I don't want to spoil either film, but I just wanted to give you insight into how terrible my memory is. Anyway, I definitely recommend this movie, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment