Sunday, January 23, 2022

3 Thoughts on The King's Man




1. As a prequel -
I've already written about my love for the Kingsman movies, so it's no surprise that I enjoyed this movie. I think it's super cool to do a prequel and to see the beginning of how this elite group of spies was created. I also think the story can keep going until it catches up with The Secret Service. It's very successful in the way that it feels like it's in the same world as its predecessors, even as it's set over a century ago. One of my biggest disappointments, though, is with (some) of the cast. Ralph Fiennes, Rhys Ifans, and Djimon Hounsou are absolutely perfect for their roles, but mostly everyone else is a big miss. And a big reason I love the other movies is because of the cast. I'm not just talking about Taron, either. Although, I do think casting an unknown actor in the lead role worked out really, really well because they found the perfect person - he's got charisma galore (and he's um...really hot). Harris Dickinson falls completely flat for me. Just so unmemorable. But the casting of both Samuel L. Jackson and Julianne Moore as "the bad guys" is part of what makes the other Kingsman movies work. The "bad guy" in this is...well, it's a surprise, so I won't spoil it. But, it's not an actor comparable to either Jackson or Moore on any level. And, the stunningly fake Scottish accent is...a choice. It makes the casting decision even more odd. Although, I do think I have a sensitivity to accents that others don't - as the "bad guy" started to talk, my boyfriend whispered "oh is the guy you love in this?", I automatically thought he was talking about Taron since it was a Kingsman movie, and I angrily was like "are you stupid? How could he be in this if it's set 100 years ago?" (in my head of course), but then I realized he was talking about James McAvoy. And you know what? That would have been the casting dream right there (but I also don't understand how someone can't tell the difference between an actual Scottish accent and a bad fake one?? *rubs temples*). And Aaron Taylor-Johnson's role in this is so minimal, but clearly set up for the next in the series. I don't mind him (I wasn't really a fan until his brilliant turn in Nocturnal Animals - such a chilling, unforgettable performance), but, once again, I am so happy that he turned down the role of Eggsy. 

2. As Historical Fiction - It's so hilariously ridiculous the way this movie merges all of these historical events in with the creation of the Kingsman. I mean, I just laughed my ass off for most of it. But the even funnier part is that a lot of it...actually happened. It's the craziest history lesson that I've ever experienced, but also made for a fairly interesting plot device. Obviously some of it is exaggerated for effect, but Archduke Ferdinand did coincidentally drive past the man who *just* tried to assassinate him and Rasputin was one fucking crazy man that the Romanovs inexplicably trusted with their lives. And WWI basically happened because of three cousins trying to outdo each other. It seems legitimately made-up. Although, I think this is what made the movie feel a little more serious than the present day movies that are actually made up (although brain implants and a world held hostage by a weaponized pandemic seem more and more likely every day). It was hard to be lightly entertained, but still a brilliant use of history. 

3. As a Matthew Vaughn film - As much as I love Matthew Vaughn, one thing that can be said is that he does not know how and when to scale it back. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because it's very clearly his movie and I can always appreciate that. But just like with The Golden Circle, it should have been edited down by 30 minutes (at the very least). Some scenes just go on too long, and they aren't important or interesting enough to warrant it. There are also a lot of inconsistencies in tone and characters. However, in Vaughn's defense (and I will always defend his movies), I bet you never imagined watching Rasputin in a Russian dance/kung fu combination fight with Ralph Fiennes to the tune of the "1812 Overture"?? His creativity around action sequences, honestly, blows my mind sometimes. I wasn't as impressed with The Golden Circle because I wanted a scene like the church scene in TSS, and that didn't happen (and I concede that nothing will ever match it), but after watching it multiple times, I see the genius in both the first action scene in the car, as well as the end scene in the diner with all of the lasso work. I think if I rewatched this, I would most certainly find more value in some of the action and fight scenes. Vaughn clearly thinks outside the box and puts sequences together that no one else could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment