Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Spencer -
I like Kristen Stewart in some things (I think her best role is in Still Alice, which is probably an unpopular opinion). She definitely does smaller, quieter roles better than big blockbuster roles. I like what she is trying to do here, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I hate when I can tell that someone is acting. I don't even know how to explain it properly, but it feels like she is overthinking every single action and piece of dialogue (and that fits with the role of Diana, but I don't think she's doing it on purpose). I also don't like the whispered voice because, again, it doesn't feel natural. She's definitely better than Emma Corrin's performance in The Crown, though (and the constant look Corrin does is so cringey. I hate it so much. I'm very much looking forward to Elizabeth Debicki's take on the role). However, there is a lot of good stuff in this movie. The impending sense of doom in every scene is harrowing. It does a great job at showing her loneliness and isolation even while surrounded by dozens of people daily. It's also respectful in the depiction of her bulimia (and associating it more with a mental disorder/paranoia than with actually caring about her weight). There are some stunning shots, particularly the one that's featured in the poster with the white dress. And her dancing around the halls by herself is probably my favorite moment. The whole pearl necklace symbolism is a little too in your face, but overall I like this movie. 

2. No Man's Land -
I have absolutely no idea how this ended up on the top of my "to watch" list? Clearly an error, but I watched it anyway. Maybe because it's about Border Patrol (my late cousin was a Border Patrolman and that job changed him forever...not in a good way)? Or because of Frank Grillo (I typically enjoy him)? I have no idea, but this movie is terrible. Not the worst 2021 film I've seen, but definitely towards the bottom of the list. The plot is actually pretty good, but it's also very melodramatic and poorly acted (and Grillo isn't in it that much. And I can't believe he's old enough to be the father of these two adult men, but he is. He just looks so good for his age.). I don't know who the main guy is, but I looked it up while watching and noticed that his brother is the director of the movie so that explains how he got hired because he is just an awful actor. And he reminds me of Logan Paul, although I'm not sure if I know what Logan Paul looks like, but this is what I imagine he looks like. Anyway, the whole story is basically this white guy from Texas is racist but then he seeks refuge (and forgiveness, I think?) in Mexico and learns not to be racist (again, I think?). That's really all there is to say. 

3. Censor -
I like the authentic 80s representation - it feels incredibly genuine. The story is also fairly interesting - about a person who does film censoring during the time of the "video nasty" era. A film she comes across reminds her of the death of her sister, so she starts to investigate and things get real fucking creepy from there. It's not exactly scary, but there's some good gore. Niamh Algar gives a fantastic performance - among the best of the year! I couldn't figure out how I recognized her, so I looked her up and was stunned that she is the actress from Wrath of Man, not only because she looks so different, but because this is such a different role and she knocked both out of the park. I'm excited to see what she does next. However, I was also stunned by 1992 listed as her birthdate (sorry, but I think she's lyyyyyiiiing. She's way older than 29. So fascinating when actors lie - women about their age and men about their height). Anyway, this is a decent movie. I didn't love it/ didn't hate it, but it's a solid 3 star horror. I'm not sure it will be something I remember in a few years.  

4. Nobody -
Highly entertaining, action-packed, and just a plain fun movie. I thought I saw the best "fight on a city bus" scene of 2021 with Shang-Chi, but this might have it beat? Far grittier and more realistic - it's one of my favorite scenes of the year. And while Pig might be a quieter version of John Wick, this is certainly a more realistic take. Bob Odenkirk is one of the greats, and I love watching him exhaustedly kick ass. Also, Christopher Lloyd is having the time of his fucking life in this movie - and that is very enjoyable to see. And I never thought I would see RZA and Lloyd in a gunfight scene together, but here we are (and RZA is getting old....which makes me feel even older because I met him over 20 years ago!). There are some things that irk me - like the fact that he doesn't just take the garbage out...the night before??? Who takes their garbage out the morning of? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard? Do people do that? I also think the action scenes combined with classic songs by Sinatra etc. have already been done (Kingsman: The Golden Circle did it with "My Way"), so this felt a bit unoriginal. I enjoyed it immensely, nonetheless. 

5. Old -
I really expected to hate this. Aside from the Unbreakable, Split, and Glass trilogy, the only other Shyamalan movie I think is okay is The Sixth Sense. While I think The Happening, The Visit, and After Earth are three of the worst films I've ever seen. But I'm still always super curious by his movies because they usually have super bonkers ideas and I always appreciate that. I think my biggest problem with his movies is that the acting is usually really bad (actually the only exception to this is Split). That being said, this actually really surprised me. I didn't love it per se, but there is something really interesting about it. It's Super Bonkers, but it goes all in on the crazy and doesn't look back. It kind of has a Twilight Zone mixed with Lost kind of vibe. Plus, the ending is actually really great and unexpected. And I hate to say this, but in someone else's hands, this could have been a really, really good movie. I just don't think Shyamalan knows how to direct his actors - because this movie has solidly great actors (Gael Garcia Bernal is among my ALL-TIME favorite actors and he is terrible here. That's a directorial problem, in my opinion). Also, the weird camerawork that is meant to disorient the audience is amateur and frustrating (and the same thing he did in After Earth and was widely criticized for, yet he still does it...). There's a lot of convenient plot devices at work too (the mom just happens to have an extra bathing suit? who brings an extra bathing suit for just a day at the beach?). But, overall, I didn't hate it! So that's a win in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment