Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Holiday Movie Preview: 11 Films I'm Excited About

1. West Side Story - There are a lot of reasons to not be excited about this (for one, what's the point?), but also...it's Spielberg. And it's one of the greatest musicals of all-time. So...I'm hesitantly excited and we'll just leave it at that for now. (Also: reviews have been fairly good so far...so...maybe it is????)

2. Spider-Man: No Way Home - The hype for this is extensive, and ultimately I'm very nervous for a huge letdown, but the trailer is pretty exciting. I've liked the first two (they are adorable! Holland is adorable!). But I'm also a HUGE fan of the Maguire Spider-Man era so I think it's super cool that they are doing the whole multi-verse by using the previous films. I do think that both Maguire and Garfield make an appearance in this, and it sucks that it's so speculated because it would have been a mind-blowing surprise. But it's impossible to keeps something like that under the radar nowadays. 

3. Parallel Mothers - It's Almodovar, and I've loved every film of his that I've seen - I think the one I like the least is the most recent one, Pain and Glory, but even that is still a good film. Plus, Penelope Cruz is always at her best in Almodovar movies. 

4. Sing 2 - I think it's pretty obvious why I am excited about this movie. It's for one reason, and ONE reason only: Taron Egerton SINGING. I love his voice so much - it's so soothing and warm. I wish he would take some time off from acting and record an album. Or even better, do more musicals like Rocketman. I watched the first Sing because I got trapped in a Youtube hole for hours watching interviews of Egerton singing. His version of "I'm Still Standing" from the original is THE BEST (I actually prefer it to the Rocketman version - but I love both. How weird is it that he has two completely different covers of the same song for two different movies??). The actual movie is kind of cute. I didn't think it would be something I would remember, but I (embarrassingly) have watched this multiple times just to hear Egerton's voice, so I remember it all. The sequel looks like more of the same, but honestly I'll be super excited when the soundtrack drops so I can listen to Taron's version of "There's Nothing Holding Me Back" on repeat. 

5. Don't Look Up - Okay, I fully admit that this looks like a total disaster, but I've liked Adam McKay's films (especially The Big Short, which seems to be very uncool nowadays among film twitter, but I still love it). And that cast is just incredible - especially with Leo and Meryl in a movie together again. But as I said, especially after watching the horrendous clip released a few months ago, this does look like a total disaster. Jus smug, poorly acted and unfunny. But, I guess we'll see!

6. The Unforgivable - Sandra Bullock is back!!! I love her so much! I hate when she disappears for years at a time, but I totally respect that she tries to live a normal life in-between movies. I watched the trailer and it totally seems like a Lifetime movie but I don't even care. I can't wait. 

7. Nightmare Alley - I don't know much about this, but it's Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, and Toni Collette (i.e three of my favorite actors) in a Guillermo del Toro film. Although, I've been a little disappointed by his recent films (Crimson Peak, The Shape of Water), I'm still hopeful. 

8. The King's Man - Honestly, I think Kingsman: The Secret Service is my most rewatched movie of the last decade. It's getting to the point where I can recite every line. It's genuinely entertaining, but obviously I watch it for Taron. I have watched The Golden Circle multiple times as well - but at least I can admit that it's not a good movie (parts of it are: the cast, the action sequences, Taron, etc., but structurally it's in deep need of some editing and the plot is mind-boggling). I have so much love for this franchise, though, so even though this prequel is obviously missing a huge part of my key enjoyment (TARON! And LOL at people who are genuinely mad that him and Colin aren't in this...it's A PREQUEL...how could they be in it?? I swear, I'm surrounded by idiots on the internet), I'm still invested in the mythology of it all. I also think it's kind of funny that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is in this one (he turned down the role of Eggsy - thank God!). 

9. The Lost Daughter - Olivia Colman is in my Top 10 best (living) actresses list (I don't actually have a list but if I had to list it out without putting too much thought into it, it would look like this: Cate Blanchett, Naomi Watts, Colman, Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis, Saoirse Ronan, Meryl Streep, Octavia Spencer, Emma Stone & Toni Colette. Note: this is not a list of my favorite actresses because that would include Sandy B and Margot Robbie). Colman is just incredible, so I'll watch anything with her in it, but I'm also excited for Maggie Gyllenhaal's (another terrific actress!) directorial debut. I watched the trailer and it looks a little unsettling, which is always a welcome feeling for me. 

10. The Tender Bar - I've not been the biggest fan of George Clooney's directorial efforts (I feel like he tries to copy the Coen Brothers too much and his films have been largely boring), but I think I might connect with this film a little (hopefully!). I spent a little bit of my childhood in a bar, as my grandfather owned a fairly well-known Irish pub in the town I grew up in. I have fond (and not so fond) memories of it. Also Ben Affleck is great in small dramas like this. 

11. The Tragedy of Macbeth - I think this was kind of a surprise to most film fans - I remember when the trailer was released and everyone was like - wait what is this? where did it come from? why hasn't it been reported about? It seems like Joel Coen quietly made this HUGELY famous story with HUGE stars - Denzel Washington and Francis McDormand. I've seen some mixed reactions to it, but based on everything I've seen - I think I'm going to love it??? *crosses fingers*


No comments:

Post a Comment