Sunday, December 26, 2021

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. Foundation - I thought that this would get better as it went along - sometimes it takes a few episodes to build a new world within a science-fiction premise, but this just really doesn't get better. Even after 8 episodes (out of 10), more than enough time to find the right balance and groove, it's just so dull and, honestly, dumb. I don't even get what it's trying to do aside from being a really bad knock-off of The Expanse. It's based on an Asimov story (so technically The Expanse is a rip-off of it, I do realize this, but from a tv series perspective it's basically The Expanse but not nearly as good). The cast is a big part of the problem - I love Lee Pace, I really do. And I appreciated his villainous role in the MCU, but I like him more as a lovable pie maker (Pushing Daisies is one of the best series ever). He overdoes the villain thing here, and I just simply don't like it. The rest of the cast are mostly unknown actors (at least to me), and none of them are making any sort of impact (oh wait there is the kid from How to Get Away with Murder. He's okay, I guess). Each episode just gets more boring than the next. Then the final two episodes are MUCH better - but it just took so long to get there. 

2. The Problem with Jon Stewart - I used to love The Daily Show when Jon Stewart hosted, but honestly I find it mostly unwatchable now. Stewart had a way of being smarter than everyone in the room, but not making everyone feel like idiots...if that makes sense? I don't like being talked down to, especially when politics are concerned because it's definitely not my area of expertise, but that doesn't make me stupid, ya know? I feel like that's the problem with all these types of shows now - they thrive on feeling superior. And I think it's what is causing an even bigger divide in our country. Stewart just always came across as more level-headed, even when he was completely destroying something, so I'm happy to have him back. He's also done some incredible things for veterans and 9/11 first responders. So far, I really like what he's doing here - he's focusing on the big issues in our country, asking thoughtful questions, and promoting resources that are offering help. He's also just really, really fucking funny (I laughed so hard with his "this is what I look like now" and I practically cried with laughter when he makes fun of performative patriotism and Taylor Swift's heart hands). I haven't watched them all yet, but the gun violence episode is especially hard to watch - by focusing on the victims, which is often women (their domestic partners often being the perpetrator). The women spoke so eloquently about their situation and highlighted the fact that neither of them had been physically abused by their partners before being shot. It's frustrating that Stewart calls this an "unseen, unheard epidemic" because women have been screaming about this for decades, but it's fascinating that someone like Stewart (an often ally to women's causes) is stunned by what these women tell him. So, I guess, we just need to keep screaming? 

3. I Know What You Did Last Summer - What in the actual fuck is going on with this show, and why is it even related to one of my favorite 90s horror movies? It has nothing to do with it except sharing a title? I guess it kind of starts off the same with four teenagers hitting someone with their car, hiding the body, and then going about their lives, but it's not really told in a "horror" style. And there is NO guy with a hook for a hand, which is the ICONIC part of the original movie (that and Ryan Phillippe in a white tank top, and Jennifer Love Hewitt screaming "What do you want from me???", oh and the beginnings of one of my favorite Hollywood couples - Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr. Almost 20 years and they are still going strong! I love them so much.). Instead, this has more similarities to a different SMG project - the one in which she swaps lives with her twin (sorry, I can't for the life of me remember what it's called). It's poorly acted, full of dull dialogue, and there is absolutely nothing scary about it (gore does not equal scary!). AND WORST OF ALL none of the actors are hot?! It doesn't always matter, but it absolutely matters in movies like this - and...I guess that's all I'll say because if I go further I fear it will be a bit mean-spirited. 

4. Yellowjackets - I've only seen the first two episodes, so far, but it is really fucking good and I'm going to try and watch it slowly so I can savor it. It's like Lost and "The Lord of the Flies", set in the 90s and present day. There's a mystery building within, and it's super creepy with a hint of sci-fi elements. It's fascinating that a show starring Juliette Lewis, Christina Ricci and Melanie Lynskey is fairly under the radar, while other shows get endlessly discussed (ahem...Succession). The young cast is really great too - the one girl is from Army of the Dead and I remarked then about how she reminded me of Marion Cotillard, and it's even more so here. I don't have a whole lot to say yet, but I think this series might end up as one of my favorites. 

5. Hawkeye -  I can't decide if I like this yet (I haven't finished it - I think I have two episodes left? It's a pretty short series, right?). From all of the Marvel television projects recently (WandaVision, Loki, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier), this one feels the most Marvel-y. It's very predictable, the dialogue is cheesy, but it's very watchable, fun and entertaining. Hawkeye is probably my favorite of the original Avengers (is that controversial?? I feel like I've never seen anyone else say that), but part of that is because I've always really liked Jeremy Renner. I also really like Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson (not so much in any other project), and she's ok here - I feel like she does her best with the awful dialogue that she's given so any cringey parts aren't necessarily her fault. I think I will always have a problem when a 100lb tiny woman takes down dozens of men unless they have a super power (sure she's trained in martial arts, but...still...as Hawkeye says "she's like 9"). Some other thoughts I have: Rogers: The Musical might be the funniest thing Marvel's ever done. Vera Farmiga is always The Best. And...I'm pretty good at avoiding spoilers for most things, but I think everything Marvel has done has been...predictable. I mean, they are less than subtle, when it comes to how everything is connected. And with all the talk of a multi-verse in the new Spider-Man (I have not seen it, but I know what's in it without being told...because...again...predictable). So as soon as they showed The Hint, I knew it was Kingpin (he either shows up in this or Spider-Man). I also knew that meant that Daredevil would be back (most likely in Spider-Man). I am happy about that - even though the final season of Daredevil was a dud, I still really liked it as a whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment