Friday, July 15, 2022

Emmy Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good

- There's quite a lot of good television from last year and I think overall the Emmy nominations reflect that. Some great Dramas included - Better Call Saul, Yellowjackets, Severance, Squid Game, and Comedies such as Ted Lasso, Only Murders in the Building, and What we do in the Shadows (!!!)

- Rhea Seehorn has been notably snubbed in the past, so it's nice that they've made up for it here - and she should definitely get the win. 

- I think my favorite Limited Series from this year is The Dropout, which I wasn't expecting. And my favorite performance of the year is definitely Amanda Seyfried. If Garner wins over her I will riot (quietly on my couch). Also love the two Directing nods - there's just something about it that is so unexpected and memorable. 

- I sort of love that some big names were ignored - Julia Roberts, Viola Davis, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, etc. And not because they aren't great (I haven't seen First Lady, Gaslit or We Crashed because they all look terrible, but I did see Scenes from a Marriage and Chastain was fantastic and the better performance), but because I feel like the Emmys are on autopilot and automatically nominate big "movie stars". I like that this is shifting - and that television has become just as prestigious as movies. You don't get nominated just because you're a big name. 

- Is Bridgerton not critically loved?? Thank fuck for that! Literally everyone I know loves it and raves about it, so I'm super glad it was ignored because I was expecting it to rack up a ton of undeserving awards nominations (I haven't seen the second season, but even if it's 100% better than the first, it's still trash). 

The Bad

- The supporting actor/actress categories across the board are crazy - and some new rules need to be implemented so that 1 or 2 shows can't dominate a whole category (ahem The White Lotus - which is a perfectly fun trashy show but in NO WAY should be in any Emmy discussions. Just ludicrous! And that's coming from someone who is a HUGE fan of several of the actors, specifically Alexandra Daddario, but when I saw her name listed as an Emmy nominee, my eyes bulged out of my head). Also, some of the "supporting" performances are clearly "lead" performances and since the actors can submit themselves in either category - it kind makes the race a bit murky. Specifically I think Sarah Snook and Kieran Culkin should move to the lead categories. And possibly even Julia Garner because the final season of Ozark was largely focused on her character. 

- The second season of The Morning Show was God awful. I'm glad it was largely ignored, but how did Reese Witherspoon pull off a nomination? 

- I know I shouldn't comment if I haven't seen it, but the love for Pam & Tommy is just...ugh for so many different reasons. I have no interest in watching it - most importantly because of the complete disrespect and disregard for Pamela Anderson. It's not new to take someone's life story and capitalize on it without their involvement, but due to the nature of this particular story it's just really gross. The line is there and it has definitely been crossed. But also, I think it relies heavily on hair & makeup and that most likely overshadows the performances (again...I'm a big fan of Lily James. Like HUGE. I even named my cat after her. But she's not an Emmy level actress, though. Let's be real, guys). 

- Super weird that Donald Glover snagged a lead actor nomination when he's only in a handful of episodes?? Give him all the writing, directing, producing awards you want (Atlanta is one of the most creative shows in the past decade - no doubt about it), but the acting one is a stretch. 


The Snubbed 

- There's always going to be a lot of snubs with award nominations - but I think the one that really hurts this year is for Better Things. It's received some nominations over the course of the series for various things (acting, writing, etc.), but that final season was absolutely beautiful. This can also be said about the final season of Insecure, but at least Issa Rae got something. 

- It seems everyone is talking about the biggest snubs being Selena Gomez, Mandy Moore and Sadie Sink, and while I'm a fan of all three - I don't think they deserve an Emmy nomination. They are all good, but...that's it? (I can sort of see Sadie Sink, but only because she's so young - and she definitely excels in a show where other performances are rough - some of those kids can't act and we need to admit it). But, for me, the real snubs are more underrated performances like Rose Byrne in Physical, Maura Tierney in Rust, Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell for The Shrink Next Door, and Danielle Macdonald for The Tourist

- I knew it was a longshot, but Heartstopper is so lovely and the lead performances are so strong - if the Emmys wanted to gain a younger audience, this was their opportunity and they blew it.

- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is perpetually ignored but is the best comedy on television. The second is Mythic Quest - also ignored. 

- I'm glad that Elle Fanning (and Nicolaus Hoult) got nominated for The Great, but I'm really surprised Fanning was ignored for The Girl from Plainville. She was incredible and it really showcases her versatility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment