Sunday, September 22, 2019

Fall TV Preview: 6 New Shows to Watch

1. Unbelievable - This already premiered on Netflix a few days ago to rave reviews. I want to see it for two reasons, and two reasons only: Merritt Wever and Toni Collette. Just about two of the most interesting actresses around. I've also read great things about Kaitlyn Dever (I haven't seen Booksmart yet, but I recognize her from Justified and a few other bit parts). It's a very relevant (and true) story, but it doesn't really feel like anything I haven't already seen before so I'm interested to see this added "twist" that I've read about.

2. Batwoman - I've watched all of the CW DC shows (although I never got around to Black Lightning, is it any good?). The only one I completely gave up on was Legends of Tomorrow (which wasn't terrible, I just had too many shows to watch and it wasn't doing anything for me). I love Ruby Rose, but I feel like she's already above this show (like these shows should be saved for more newcomers in my opinion). She was a standout among a slew of fabulous actresses in Orange is the New Black. It's just an odd casting decision, in my opinion. But I guess we'll see!

3. Dublin Murders - I think this already came out in the UK because I remember seeing tweets about it months ago. I was intrigued just by the sheer amount of talk about it. It reminds me of The Killing which was hard to watch at points (because of the subject matter and the dreariness of it), but it's a show that has stuck with me far more than I ever expected.

4. Treadstone - I'm a big, big fan of the Bourne films. This is a wonderful idea, but I'm hesitant that it's on the USA network because that tends to be a network for fun summer shows - not serious dramas (yes, I think of Suits as a fun summer show, and yes, they've had ONE exception: Mr. Robot). The commercials have seemed a little expected and a little cheesy, but I'm still going to watch.

5. Watchmen - I literally could not be more excited. I've been trying to stay mostly in the dark, so I have no idea who is in the cast or where they are starting the story from. I don't need to know. I'm just hoping that it's as beautiful as the movie.

6. His Dark Materials - James McAvoy in another television series?! Dreams really do come true. Also, another fave of mine - Ruth Wilson. I don't know the story. I'm not sure if I saw The Golden Compass, but my initial gut is that I haven't. I've never really been a fan of the Science Fantasy genre, but....James McAvoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment