Tuesday, September 24, 2019

4 Thoughts on The Emmys

1. The Host - OH WAIT...there was no host. What a terrible concept. I didn't read about this being a host-less event, so I'm not really sure why they decided to go that route, but it just makes no sense. You need someone to make the show move along and ENTERTAIN. There are only two reasons that people watch award shows: one, because they LOVE movies/television/pop culture and actually care about who wins, and/or two, because they love the host and want to be entertained. If one of those is missing, then there goes at least a third of the audience. This flat-lined from the second Homer Simpson appeared (oh Fox, never change).

2. The Winners & Losers - I don't have much to say about the winners - lots of talented people. I recently watched the first season of Fleabag and it's great (wouldn't have been my pick for so many awards, but it's still definitely deserving). I am, however, SUPER ecstatic about Jodie Comer (obvi!) and for Michelle Williams for Fosse/Verdon. I don't think Game of Thrones is the Best Drama of last year (or any year that it's been on), but I was expecting the win and I've come to terms with it. It's a good show, and it's very successful in a lot of ways. An Emmy send-off is appropriate. The only wins that really pissed me off were for Julia Garner for Ozark because she is the worst actress, in my opinion, and this will only make her appear in more things and I really just need for her to go away. And Ozark for directing. I mean, really Ozark shouldn't have even been nominated for anything considering the shows that are more worthy. It's even more absurd for it to win, but in both cases, I think it was a split vote with Game of Thrones (with multiple nominations within both categories), so it had to go to either Ozark or Killing Eve and voters clearly made the wrong choice.

3. The Show - The whole show was just a boring disaster. The presenters were boring, which made not having a host even worse. And don't get me started on Thomas Lennon as the "Emmy Commentator" - what the fuck were those random facts he was spewing out? Half of them didn't even make sense and none of them were interesting. The speeches were really, really boring. I know Michelle Williams is getting a lot of praise, but it was a super weird speech, to me. She basically makes a case for being difficult on-set (like see I was difficult, but people listened and now I have an award so you should listen to difficult women because they know what they are doing). That's just plain weird, right?! But at least she gave a memorable speech and I guess that's all people can hope for nowadays. I couldn't even tell you what anyone else even said. The whole show just felt like a really long ad for Fox tv shows (and FX and FXX).

4. The Fashion - This was the only success of the whole night! I don't think anyone looked like they belonged on the top of a wedding cake! There were still some questionable choices, like anyone wearing that God-awful red and pink combo (seriously?! There were like 5 people wearing this! This is always a fashion "no".) and whichever Kardashian was wearing the latex turtleneck. But, there were also some gorgeous gowns - my favorite is a tie between Michelle William's paisley embroidered Louis Vuitton number and Kristen Bell's beaded Dior dress (that would look so good on me! Someone buy it for me please!). I also thought Emilia Clarke looked stunning.


No comments:

Post a Comment