Sunday, September 15, 2019

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot - Gus Van Sant has made some of my favorite films (Good Will Hunting, Milk), so I was really looking forward to this - especially since it stars Joaquin Phoenix. I didn't actually know what the movie was about (the director, star and title were enough to peak my interest), so I was pleasantly surprised that it's a Biographical film about the life of John Callahan (based on his book). Callahan's cartoons are hilariously inappropriate (my kind of humor!). Phoenix does a superb job, as usual, but the standout is (not) surprisingly Jonah Hill. I honestly didn't even recognize him until about 20 minutes into the movie and when I finally did I exclaimed out-loud "HOLY SHIT THAT'S JONAH HILL!" (I knew he was in the movie, but totally forgot when I went to watch it). It's a very typical "hippie-dippy" kind of character, but it's just so unexpected to cast Hill in that role. Overall, it's a forgettable movie which is a shame because it has a great cast, great characters and a great story arc, but it's missing something. I think it needed to decide what it wanted to be - whether it was this feel-good motivational story, or this eccentric tale of an eccentric man. It just played it too safe in my opinion.

2. High Life - My first Claire Denis film, and guess what? I absolutely hated it. It's just a mess of a movie, really. The plot is really dumb, the Sci-Fi aspect doesn't hold up at all, it's extremely slow moving and not in a good slow-burn sort of way, and worst of all - the critics just ate this shit up. The reviews I read are laughable (words like "masterpiece" are being thrown around so carelessly nowadays). The only positive thing I have to say about this movie, is that it is visually beautiful. There are a few shots that are stunning (one shot in the beginning actually made me gasp). However, this doesn't forgive the rest of the film for being complete and utter crap. I will also say that the acting is decent (that's a given with the cast involved - except Andre 3000. What the fuck is he doing in this movie?). The story would be good if they just focused on the main story instead of this weird psycho-sexual story they keep trying to enforce. I felt like that was thrown in to make it interesting, or dark, or something but it fails miserably.

3. BlacKkKlansman - Really great story - based on real events - that obviously resonates in today's climate. I don't think John David Washington really looks like his father (Denzel), but he sounds exactly like him and it is freaky! I became a big fan after that interview he did in which he praises his mother's achievements after being asked about his famous dad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wOu4_XVMA). It's just so wonderful. I think Spike Lee did a great job in showing the similarities among the "opposite sides", and really made a strong statement in dedicating the film to Heather Heyer. I read that he received a lot of criticism among black activists for dedicating a film about racism and hatred to a white girl, but I think it works in relation to the movie. If you didn't receive that message, that both sides are inciting violence, then you weren't watching closely enough. Lee's point is that we need to start listening to each other, and inviting conversation instead of assuming things based on race (or occupation - as the main character is constantly being criticized for being a police officer, as if he is a "traitor" to his race). I appreciate that Lee is trying to create a dialogue that brings us together instead of creating a larger gap. I don't think the film is very memorable (compared to Lee's previous work - like Malcolm X and Do the Right Thing), but overall I enjoyed it. I'll concede that Adam Driver is getting stronger as an actor. I also really thought that was Steve Buscemi for a good half-hour, until I realized it was his brother. The only huge mistake that Lee made was casting Topher Grace as David Duke. I just can't take Topher seriously, ever, and this is a very serious role (one of the most dangerous men still inciting violence in our country).

4. Aquaman - Not good, but certainly not a bad movie. It's well made for what it is. Aquaman is probably my least favorite DC superhero, and having Jason Momoa in the role certainly doesn't help. I know a lot of women who love him, but I've never been into the muscle-y type men. However, I do LOVE Amber Heard (super huge girl-crush alert, and she looks soooo good with the red hair), and Nicole Kidman is such an unexpected choice. And then, to top it off - Patrick Wilson! What a great cast. Kidman's opening scene is probably the best scene in the whole movie. I loved watching her kick ass. The rest of the movie is just so-so. It does exactly what it sets out to do, so I can't really fault it. It's a very predictable superhero tale, although I was confused about the timeline (is is supposed to be before Justice League? I don't really remember that movie. I probably blacked it out.). I wish the visuals were better - I heard that this was "colorful" compared to other DC movies, but I found it incredibly bland visually. Some color would have been nice, especially for underwater scenes.

5. Widows - There's nothing wrong with this movie, but considering it's directed by Steve McQueen, I was incredibly disappointed. It just feels like Lifetime female revenge territory, so I wasn't surprised that it was co-written by Gillian Flynn (of Gone Girl fame - don't even get me started on that atrocity). Stunning cast, which is probably the only reason my interest was held - Viola Davis, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson, Michelle Rodriguez, Carrie Coon, and my favorite up-and-coming super-star, Elizabeth Debicki (who basically steals the whole movie). As with every McQueen movie, there is an absolutely STUNNING shot (the one that got me was the rap scene - the circular tracking is just sublime). I also was surprised by two different plot points (no, not the obvious "twist" - if that surprised you, then you weren't paying attention). The movie is far too long, and far too dull for my liking. Also, I think there were too many storylines at play, so all of the supporting characters weren't fleshed out enough - or could have been cut altogether without effecting the main story at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment