Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Oscar Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good: 

-Uhhh...I'm struggling here. While I haven't seen a majority of the nominated films, I have seen some pretty wonderful films and performances that were left out. In general, though, there are some strong people in many of the categories - Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actress categories are just FILLED to the brim with talent (p.s - the words "first time Oscar nominee for Directing, Spike Lee" absolutely boggles my mind. How is that even possible?).

-First Man for the technical awards (Visual Effects and the sound categories)

-Roma for Cinematography

The Bad: 

-The entire Best Picture category. I probably shouldn't even be writing this post since I've only seen 2 of the nominated films - Black Panther and Roma. While both of those movies are good, I've definitely seen 8 films from 2018 that are better.

-Incredibles 2 is one of the worst animated films I've ever seen

-I have not seen Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book, but I've read some of the criticism of both. I've also heard from many people that they loved both movies. So....*shrugs shoulders*


The Snubbed: 

-OH SO MANY. The most egregious one is First Man for Best Picture, Cinematography, and Supporting Actress for Claire Foy (who should have been in the running for Best Actress for Unsane as well)

-There were so many insanely great female performances last year - Charlize Theron for Tully, Emily Blunt for A Quiet Place, Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy in Thoroughbreds, Maggie Gyllenhaal for The Kindergarten Teacher, Rachel McAdams in Game Night, Toni Collette for Hereditary, the list goes on, and you will never convince me that Melissa McCarthy gave a better performance than any of them (I have not seen Can You Ever Forgive Me, but there is just no way.).

-I didn't think he would win, but I really wanted to see my Bradley Cooper get a Directing nomination. Ditto for John Krasinski.

-The more I think about Tully, the more I love it - surely it deserves some screenwriting love?

No comments:

Post a Comment