Sunday, January 6, 2019

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Bird Box - I think if this was given a "normal" release, it would not have been successful at all. But a horror/thriller with Sandra Bullock and John Malkovich, released in your home during the Holidays, available to watch at your own convenience? Consider it the buzziest movie of the year. Also, it was incorrectly given comparisons to A Quiet Place, which helped it tremendously. As you may know, I'm a HUGE Sandi B. fan. Like, ginormous. I will stick up for anything she does, so it's weird that I don't have to stick up for this, because critics were so surprisingly kind to it. There's nothing really wrong with the movie, per-say. But it's very mediocre. I can see an argument for originality, but then someone said that it's basically the same plot as The Happening, and that just threw everything out the window. There are two aspects that are great (other than Sandi, obvi) - one is the supporting cast - Sarah Paulson, BD Wong, Jacki Weaver, etc. all fantastic. Second, I think it is interest to show this woman as not very motherly - she takes care of the children out of survival and necessity, but she is never emotional with them because it's not in her nature. It's a refreshing take on a female character that is not often seen. It's a shame that they had to give the movie this absolutely bullshit ending, because it ruins everything.

2. Peppermint - What a waste. We finally get Jennifer Garner back to kicking bad guy ass, and this is the best we could do?? First, it's incredibly racist. Second, the plot is really dumb (when did she steal the money? After she escaped from being admitted into a mental facility, she went to work and stole money? Also, 50 grand would not get you very far) and predictable (of course he's the bad guy!). Third, it could have been interesting - like if they actually showed how she survived and trained for her revenge plan for 5 years, but instead they cut that whole part out and it's just suddenly she's a badass. It's touted as the female Taken (from the same director), but in Taken we are already under the impression that Neeson's character is someone you don't want to fuck with. This woman is just a normal middle-class mom. How did she get all these skills and training? That's the part that I want to see. Otherwise it just feels like a really bad action movie from the 90s. But, the highlight is obviously Garner. I hope she continues to do roles like this because she is one of the rare actresses that can believably be "girl next door" adorable in one scene and vengeful killer in the next. I will continue to watch everything she does (and hope for an Alias reunion....one day...).

3. Roma - This is another win for the new Netflix model of releasing films. It would have taken me months to see this - I never get to the theater anymore, and it's even more rare for me to see independent films (which makes me sad, but it is what it is). I didn't love this film as much as many did, but I can understand why it is so well loved. I just didn't connect with the story, but I always have love for stories that intertwine the history of a particular place with a personal story (it's like a Mexican version of Midnight's Children). There is so much happening in the background of the story, that I have no knowledge of (my knowledge of Mexican history is completely lacking even though I lived in Southern Cali and went to Mexico many times as a kid), but I never really felt like the story was being propelled forward in any way - it was just very "slice of life" story-telling. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it just didn't "wow" me. Although, there are also some stunning shots - I mean, that first shot with the reflection in the water, is just sublime. I could watch that for hours on end.

4. Downsizing - Was this on everyone's Worst of 2017 list? Because it definitely should have been. I'm not sure why Matt Damon keeps picking the "white savior" roles, but someone needs to stop him. The concept for this movie is absolutely brilliant - it's so original, ambitious, fun, and thought-provoking, but what the movie turns it into is surprisingly dull garbage. If the intent is to "teach" the audience a lesson (I'm not sure it needed one other than being grateful for what you have), then it should have been a tale about human loneliness, choosing wealth over living a full life, or even the dangerous impact of over-population and climate control. Instead it was a story about "saving" the poor people. Damon's character is surprised that they exist in the "small" world for some reason. Which is just plain dumb (how did he think he would live with all this wealth - who did he think would be doing all the grunt work? It's like the time someone told me that he wished it was illegal for people to work on Sundays because he wants to be able to go to Brunch. When I asked who would serve him Brunch if working was illegal, he looked at me dumbfounded.). Other than being just plain stupid, the story got really boring - like, painfully boring. And overall, just an embarrassment for all involved.

5.  The Kindergarten Teacher - Another stunning performance from Maggie Gyllenhaal. This is a film that is right up my alley - it's so interesting to watch when you don't quite know where the story is going or how dark it will get. It never quite crosses the line, but it's clear that it could, and it would be just as believable. It does still get pretty fucked up - this woman becomes obsessed with her student (a kindergartner) because she believes that he's a prodigy of poetry. She lets this obsession consume her - and her actions become less and less ethical. It's a tough watch because she's never malicious - I think she truly wants to do what is best but she just doesn't see that it's not her business or responsibility to make these decisions for a child that isn't her own. When I was in my early 20s I worked as a teacher's aide at a pre-school for children with disabilities. It was incredibly emotional work. First, the obvious, these kids had many varying challenges. Second, most of them were not getting what they needed from their home life (not always on purpose - mostly because parents have to work and therefore don't have the time to invest in their children's lives). Third, we only had our minimum amount of time with them and then we were forced to "let go", which practically forces one to have a "this isn't my problem" attitude. I, like all teachers and aids whether they admit it or not, had a "favorite". His name was Jacob and he referred to me as "Ishelle". I saw his potential, that he just needed to feel important, and that he could overcome his learning disabilities with some extra attention that he would likely not get (he was also part of "the system" of Foster Care). It absolutely broke my heart that I had to say good-bye to him when the school year was over. Anyway, teachers are amazing humans (I realized quickly that I was not strong enough for such work). Obviously the one in this story goes too far, but I can still understand her intent.

No comments:

Post a Comment