Monday, January 7, 2019

4 Thoughts on the Golden Globes

1. The Hosts - I've become more and more a fan of Andy Samberg ever since I started watching the hilarious Brooklyn Nine-Nine (although he isn't the funniest one on that show - clearly that's Andre Braugher). I don't really think he's the best option for hosting an awards show because he just isn't funny enough and he doesn't have the stage presence. And as much as I LOVE Sandra Oh, I don't really think she's the best option either. Oh seemed extremely nervous, but she's just such a lovely person so I have nothing negative to say about her. What she has accomplished in her career is such a stunning achievement. Their hosting gig was....fine. There was nothing really memorable about it. It was cute. Which I guess in this current culture is the best we can ask for.

2. The Show - Overall, the show was super boring and it felt really, really long. There seemed to be no particular order to which the awards were announced either, which really bothered me. They went from male television performances and then they gave out best television drama without announcing television drama actress first. Then they went on to movies before finishing the tv awards. It made no sense! The presenters were mostly dull - who would have thought the funniest ones would be Allison Janney and Sam Rockwell (and why didn't they mention that they were both in one of the best coming-of-age movies of the past decade when they were listing their commonalities?). I think the only time I laughed during the whole show was Harrison Ford saying "nobody told me I have to follow Jeff Bridges" (which may be the first time in all of history that I've laughed at something Harrison Ford said!). I love that they added the Carol Burnett award for television. Burnett is such a legend. I saw her live show a few years ago, and it is such a memorable experience.

3. The Winners - Ok, first, the nominations themselves are a joke. Jodie Comer not being nominated is an actual crime. The Globes are known for spotlighting "new" shows as a way to be edgy (I guess), and sometimes that's a good thing (they basically put The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on the map). However, what in the actual fuck is Bodyguard? I've never heard of it, and there is no way that this extremely handsome man is better than Matthew Rhys' performance in The Americans. My blood was absolutely boiling and then this very handsome man began talking and I forgot what I was mad about (I'm such a sucker for accents). I actually have The Kominsky Method on my list of shows to watch (I heard it was good, and I love Alan Arkin), so I'm not that upset over it winning the big awards (I mean, the actual best comedy on television is never going to win it anyway). I was obviously happy that The Americans won because it is one of the best shows of that past decade, but if we were to judge it just based on its final season it would come up short against Killing Eve. I just finished watching Escape at Dannemora yesterday morning, and while some episodes were way better than others, Patricia Arquette absolutely deserves that award. But I'm glad that The Assassination of Gianni Versace won the big one - that's a show that I still think about regularly. The way the story was constructed is just so fascinating, and Criss gives the performance of a lifetime (and he's still so young so I would be surprised and in awe if he ever tops it). As far as the film awards go, I am still far behind on my movie watching, but I have read the criticism of both Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book, and if it's true (I obviously won't know until I watch both), they definitely don't deserve any type of recognition. I do think it's a bit of bullshit that nobody addressed Bryan Singer - like maybe take this time to acknowledge male entitlement and victims of abuse? I was surprised that Glenn Close won (I squealed when she gave a little nod to Michael Douglas. Best moment of the night?!) because I thought for sure they would give it Lady Gaga. Ditto for Cooper in the Directing category. I didn't thing either would translate to an Oscar win, but now an Oscar win is even more distant. Also, are A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody not considered Musicals? What would constitute a Musical then? I feel like if the story is based around music and has several musical numbers, then it should go in that category?

4. The Fashion - How gorgeous did Saoirse Ronan look, you guys?!! Just absolutely stunning. Hands down best dress of the evening. I also loved Keri Russel's sparkly number. And that bright yellow dress on Rachel Brosnahan is beautiful - I feel like women of our coloring (pale with dark brown hair) are told not to wear yellow, but I always think it looks so striking. Darren Criss' blazer was so beautiful. I love that he is a straight man who likes to have fun with his outfits. It wasn't too over the top, but still just different enough to stand out. I have to admit that the worst dress was worn by one of my favorite people, Amber Heard. She looked like she was going to an 80s prom costume party - the dress combined with all that layered gold jewelry was just so tacky. And OH GOD another favorite of mine, Kate Mara, I don't know what she was thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment