Friday, July 31, 2009

4 Reasons Why "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is Not as Terrible as the Reviews Claim

I loved "Transformers" and was highly anticipating the sequel but once the reviews came out - I began to dread seeing the film. I didn't want to see a "loud", "incomprehensible" and "overlong" film. I mean, who would? But, like I said before - you have to watch the bad films in order to really appreciate the good ones. So, I finally dragged myself out, expecting the worst - and was really surprised by the outcome. "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is not a great movie by any means - it doesn't even come close to the first film. Yet, it wasn't THAT bad either. Here are my thoughts.

1. Yes, it was long - 2 and 1/2 hours is always too long for a film - unless the film is called Titanic. However, it wasn't painfully long - like Watchmen. I was never bored because the action was fast paced, the special effects were awesome and the actors are hot. So, yes a lot of the film can be edited out (i would cut out all of John Turturro's scenes), but the length doesn't make it a bad film.

2. Yes, it was loud - As should any summer film be that is an action-packed, special effects extravaganza. The louder, the better.

3. No, it was not incomprehensible - I have read several reviews that use this word in describing the film - and several people that I know called it "confusing" and "they couldn't keep track of what was going on". I find this alarming because the film made perfect sense to me - as it should, considering that the story is essentially from a children's cartoon. If you didn't understand it, you weren't paying attention.

4. There are things that could have been done better - The reason the first film worked so well is because of Shia Labeauf and I will even give some credit to Megan Fox. Shia has amazing on-screen charisma while his chemistry with Megan gave the film a human touch. This chemistry is lost in Fallen. They are not given enough scenes and the scenes that they are given are awkward and forced. Michael Bay is obviously too arrogant to believe that people go to see films to see acting, rather than seeing a bunch of pretty people used as props. I also have a major problem with the entire end of the film (yes, I did feel like I was being forced to watch another Indiana Jones film). Lastly, the first film was funny - this one not so much, aside from a few amusing lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment