Sunday, February 18, 2024

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Priscilla -
I've said it before, but I want to like Sofia Coppola's films, yet I rarely do. I like Marie Antoinette and The Virgin Suicides, but all of her other films I rate 2.5 stars or less (eeek! I know!). I think this might be her best film, though?? I really enjoyed it, although I did have some major issues with a few things. I'll start there - first, Jacob Elordi in this role is a big miss for me. I just don't think he's a good actor, unfortunately. I could feel his thoughts in every second of the film (his thoughts, not Elvis'), I don't think charisma and screen presence come naturally to him. And Elvis is all presence. Also Elvis was tall, sure (6ft), but Elordi is really tall (6'5") and he is lanky, and Elvis definitely wasn't. Just visually it doesn't work. Second, the ending is extremely rushed and it's the most interesting part. The film, thankfully, moves extremely quickly so I certainly think it could have tacked on another 15 or so minutes to show us this new Priscilla. And third, the lighting is a little wonky. She's literally in a shadow for the entire movie - and if this was done on purpose (like if she was literally, as well as figuratively, in Elvis' shadow) that would have been a genius visual element, but she's always really poorly lit from beginning to end (even on the poster!). But otherwise, I really like the story that Coppola tells here. I often say that not everyone is interesting enough to make a movie about, and I think that's the point here - this seemingly glamorous woman who is married to the biggest star in the world and...she's boring. Her isolation and loneliness bleeds into every scene. I think it's interesting that the real Priscilla is a producer in this and had a say in the story, and yet the Presley estate denounced the film. Obviously this film doesn't show Elvis in the best light - he is manipulative, emotionally abusive, and controlling. He wants her to literally just sit in this huge house by herself and wait for him ("when I call you, I need you to be there for me"). There are adult women who don't realize they are in abusive/controlling relationships like this, so it's understandable that a teenager fell for this. It's also bold to show such an icon as a predator (sorry, but he was very aware of her age and may have been physically respectful, but he also knew that because of her age she would be easier to manipulate), and I understand that his family does not want to think of him in this light. However, I think it's been well-documented that this is how their relationship was, and we have to allow women to tell their stories. The very clear highlight of the film is Cailee Spaeny. I know she's been in a few things recently but this is her first starring role (I think?) and she is incredible. I don't quite think it's Oscar-nomination worthy (some included her in the snubs this year), but she is one to watch for sure. There's a quietness to her performance that is quite beautiful - from the pure joy of having the biggest star in the world interested in you, to seeing that joy deflate more and more with every scene. It's a huge success. 

2. Self Reliance -
I liked this movie a lot. I think, mostly, because it's very original and I had no idea how the story was going to play out. I spent the entire film going back and forth in deciding if the whole thing was real or if he's actually a schizophrenic or suffering a mental breakdown. It's like Beau is Afraid, but as a 100 minute comedy. The catalyst to the story is that this man (the loveable Jake Johnson who wrote & directed this), is offered the chance to play a deadly game, but if he wins the game he wins a million dollars. The rule of this game is that he has to survive 30 days being chased by professional assassins. He learns of a "catch" though, that the assassins can't approach him if he is with other people (in order to ensure no innocent people get hurt), so he thinks "easy-peasy" as long as I'm not alone for the next 30 days, I get a million bucks! I would definitely take that deal in a heartbeat. It seems easy enough - I would just rent a hotel (like he does at one point) and just bunker down for 30 days with a friend or family member. The problem, though, in his case, is that he's had previous issues with mental illness so his family don't believe him and because he's a loner, he has no trust-worthy friends. So the film becomes more about him trying to make connections with other people. He hires a homeless man to accompany him everywhere, but that proves to be unreliable, and he meets someone else who may or may not be playing the game too. It's all really well done and interesting. Plus, it's laugh out loud funny more than a few times (the Andy Samberg parts are hilarious, as is his mom calling him Sandy Amberg). *spoilers ahead* The end is left a little open, with him surviving and therefore winning, but we're still left with this feeling that the whole thing was in his head. I think it's meant to be real, though. And the twist is that the "million dollars" is actually in Greenlandic currency which equates to $145k in American dollars (still a nice chunk of change, but not enough to change his whole life - unless he moves to Denmark!). 

3. The Burial -
Jamie Foxx and Tommy Lee Jones starring in a courtroom drama sounds like it's a move from the 1900s (that's what the kids call it!). It definitely has that feel, like A Time to Kill vibes. Although the case at hand, is not that interesting and revolves around contract law (snoozefest). The cast keep it alive, though. I love Jamie Foxx and I'm happy that he's healthy - I respect that he wants to keep his medical issues private, but I'm also super curious as to what happened to him?! Everyone was so worried! I also love Jurnee Smollett (it took me way too long to realize that she was Denise on Full House. Like, an embarrassing amount of time). Foxx and Smollett have great chemistry as adversaries. It's also interesting that something like contract law, that should have absolutely nothing to do with race, still somehow has to do with race. It's crazy that they turn down the settlement offer of 75 million (I would never! I realize that they ended up with a lot more than that by winning the case, but nobody needs 500 million dollars?! 75 and peace would do me just fine). I did enjoy his little "feels good" at the turn down though. And it is satisfying that they won and got so much money from this big corporation that was screwing people over, but it's just very idealistic. And as the "bad" guy states - it's not really going to effect him at all. That's why I find it so weird when all these guys like Trump, Giuliani, Alex Jones, etc. are losing all these cases and ordered to pay millions, everyone cheers as if any of these cases are going to ruin their lives. Literally nothing happens to them. They still have millions, they still are in the media spewing hate and lies, and ultimately they are still going to be successful. I don't even pay attention to any of it anymore because it's all so infuriating. Anyway, this movie is exactly what you might expect. Solid 3 star courtroom drama, with fantastic performances. Can't complain. 

4. You Hurt My Feelings -
This is a cute movie. Completely forgettable, but cute. I love Julia Louis-Dreyfus so much, so it's odd that I hate the show Seinfeld. I'm talking hate. I've tried watching it multiple times and I find it so grating (and I've seen most of the episodes because it used to play on Thursday night "must see tv" along with Friends). The premise of the film is that this woman, an author, overhears her husband (with whom she seems to share a very solid relationship with) talking shit about her latest book behind her back. She feels hurt and betrayed because she cares so much about what he thinks of her and want him to be proud of her. I like that it explores the "truth" within relationships, and also how you don't always have to like everything your partner does, but you can still be proud of them. I don't think I would be upset if my husband didn't like something I worked on creatively (like a painting or something - I paint a lot of flowers & trees and they are simply not his taste), but I would be upset if he was talking about it in a negative way to someone else? Anyway, I like the supporting cast a lot, too. Amber Tamblyn and David Cross (a couple in real life) play a troubled couple seeking therapy to repair their relationship (my take: she's a bitch and they hate each other. Divorce is the only answer. The answer certainly is not spending 33 THOUSAND DOLLARS in TWO YEARS on therapy. Do you know how much you can do with 33k??? Maybe take a nice vacation together? That would repair a relationship more than therapy). Michaela Watkins plays Julia's sister (weird that they are a decade apart, Julia just looks so good for being in her 60s!), which is good casting - they have great comedic chemistry together. But, the guy that plays the son is TERRIBLE. It's so weird that I just watched the new version of The Stand, that came out a few years ago and this guy is one of the main stars and he is unbearable to watch. Just over-acts in every single scene, and he does the same here. I don't even want to look up his name. He also plays just a really annoying, entitled character - he literally gets upset that he's a "third wheel" because his parents are happy and love each other. Can you even imagine feeling like that? What a fucking narcissist. Ugh. Anyway, there are a few cute, funny moments ("I don't have cleavage, why would I wear a v-neck?"). It does feel a little longer than it actually is because there are quite a few unnecessary scenes. Also, it's really dumb when the pot store gets burglarized and the dumb son just hands the box of money over. Sorry, WHAT? My father-in-law owns a recreational marijuana store and that shit is secure because it's an all cash place. The money is in a locked safe and you can't just take the product from the shelves - you order it and they give it to you through a window. I think most places are like that? They couldn't function any other way. 

5. The Marvels -
I like how we keep thinking these comic book movies can't possibly get any worse and then we keep getting worse movies. It feels almost purposeful at this point. I think the biggest issue with this movie is that it's not accessible at all. If you didn't sit through the absolute pain of Ms. Marvel or WandaVision (which was good, but came out 3 years ago and I have a terrible memory), then you'll have no idea who 2 of the main 3 characters are. Plus, obviously you have to watch Captain Marvel as well (at least that's more of an expected ask, though. Asking people to sit through whole tv shows is a little bit much). They do a little quick recap in the beginning, but it feels rushed and just made me realize that I don't care about any of these characters. And then they start switching bodies so quickly and it feels so chaotic I can't even follow what is happening. For the record, I hated Captain Marvel, too. I thought it was so...cheesy and Larson is not made for blockbusters. I can't wait until her run with this character is over because she needs to go back to small quiet dramas like Room and Short Term 12 (she's also great in the Apple show Lessons in Chemistry). I hate her in this role - I think she's supposed to be funny, but she comes off as snarky and mean. But, Iman Vellani as Ms. Marvel is an absolute joy to watch. She's having a ton of fun and that counts for something. I just can't find the fun in anything else. They certainly try - like with the singing planet, but instead of being fun it's just...hard to watch. And it looks terrible! Like when Monica flies - just terrible visual effects. The only part that is sort of funny is the whole cat part, but it also...looks really bad. The idea of it is just so ridiculous that it becomes entertaining. It's kind of weird that Zawe is a villain in this (a very unmemorable, one-note villain) when she's dating another Marvel villain in real life (Loki will always be a villain to me no matter how many times they try to redeem him). It's also weird that Monica is the same age as Captain Marvel because that doesn't make sense, but I looked it up and apparently Captain Marvel ages slower so she's actually like 50 years old??? Did they tell us that and I just wasn't paying attention, or is that something we're just supposed to know? I did like the end though, with the new young team being formed because I like Ms. Marvel, I just didn't like the show or this. And I really like Kate Bishop. They need to appeal to the next generation, so I get why they are going that route. I'm interested to see who else joins them?

No comments:

Post a Comment