Thursday, February 10, 2022

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. Invasion - *spoilers* First, I think it's really shitty to advertise a bigger "name" in a series only to have them die in the first episode (another show that did that recently was Big Sky and it really pissed me off). So, if you're watching for the only recognizable face in the preview, then you may be disappointed. Also, the first episode is really, really rough. It probably takes maybe four episodes before it actually seems interesting, and I definitely feel like I had to force myself to get there. I like the international aspect of the alien invasion - it's very reminiscent of World War Z, but with aliens instead of zombies. However, there are four different storylines throughout the first season, and only two of them are interesting. Mitsuki and Hinata's love story is by far the most interesting part (and Rinko Kikuchi! I feel like I haven't seen her in a while). The kids getting deserted, started off really interesting - and I was so hoping for a "Lord of the Flies" mini-plot, but they move through it too quickly (which makes sense with the main kid's "ability", but still disappointing). The other two storylines are really boring - I stopped paying attention for a few episodes and was still able to follow it in the end. 

2. Squid Game - I know I'm a bit late with this, although it only premiered like 6 months ago - people just move so fast through things now. It's like everyone is in a race to watch as much as humanely possible and I have no idea how anyone retains anything? Or absorbs anything? And I watch A LOT of stuff. Anyway, I get why this became so big - it's extremely bingeable (is that a word?) for a few reasons. It's incredibly intense and most episodes feature a "game" in which multiple characters die, and quite a few episodes end with a little bit of a cliffhanger, so it's almost impossible to stop watching. I typically do not binge things, but I watched this entire series in the span of 24 hours. They do an amazing job at developing the characters in a really short timeframe - and the acting is solid. I'm sure I'm not the first one to compare it to Battle Royale, but it also reminds me of that movie with Emma Roberts where they did stunts on social media that became more and more dangerous to try to win a bunch of money (I can't think of the name right now, but I do remember liking it). *major spoilers ahead* I do have a minor issue with it being a little predictable. I'm not sure if others thought the same or if the twist actually was a surprise, but for me, it was so obvious. During the first episode I said (to myself), "I bet the whole point of the game is about being nice to the old man, he's probably in on it". I had my doubts when he's supposedly shot, but there is an old saying in the entertainment industry - "never count them dead unless you see the body". Anyway, still a very entertaining, intense, and satisfying show. I look forward to season 2!

3. The Shrink Next Door - I'm 4 episodes into this series, but I like it a lot so far. It's mostly to do with Paul Rudd, Will Ferrell, and Kathryn Hahn. They fit into this 70s/80s aesthetic really well and their performances feel really genuine. I also think the plot is really interesting - even though it's been a little predictable (so far). It does move a little too slow, but I think it's going to culminate into something much bigger. I'm hoping that the "starts at the end" scene in the beginning of the series is actually the middle, and then it explodes from there. It's a limited series, so it only has another few episodes for all of it to come together, so I'm a little nervous that it's dragged out instead of multiplying (if that makes sense?). It's not exactly funny, either, but there are quite a few scenes that are definitely humorous (like them watching the play when everyone comes out holding candles and torches). 

4. Peacemaker - I'm not fully into this show. I really want it to be funnier - there a few entertaining and humorous moments throughout, but I lose my interest about 1/2 way through each episode and can easily catch up with what's going on by the next episode. And I'm so confused as to why everyone *likes* the opening credits??? I saw so many people call it hilarious and the best part of the show, but I can't even watch them - it's so awkward and cringe-worthy. I actually *skip* them, which is something I don't think I've ever done in the history of my tv viewing. There are a few highlights, though. Particularly, Danielle Brooks. She was one of my favorites on Orange is the New Black and was often overshadowed by other performances (there were A LOT of great performances in that series, to be fair). I don't mind John Cena, either. He's funny and I like that he can make fun of himself and be super silly. My favorite part is obviously....EAGLY! When he wraps his wings around him for a hug - MY HEART. I now would like a pet eagle, please and thank you. 

5. Welcome to Earth - I'm not usually one to watch docu-series type shows, but I saw the trailer for this and there was something really interesting about it. Or so I thought. It's very typical National Geographic nature is beautiful type show. The appeal should be Will Smith because he has a great charismatic personality and charm to him (and they knew what they were doing with that title), but something about this really bothered me. First, it felt like he was talking in slow motion and he just kept repeating what the experts told him, but just rewording it (like dumbing it down...). He's learning things about the planet that most people already know (I hope???), like "everything on earth is making a sound". Um...yeah? That's pretty common knowledge. Also, it's fascinating that someone with that much money has not spent any time exploring the world. I mean, that's pretty much all I would do on my free time. However, I really, really like how they relate the senses to discovering amazing things about our world. Many people are SO focused on the visual aspect of experiencing things (I feel like everything nowadays gets "captured" for Instagram), but I did one of those lava tube tunnel tours in Iceland - and let me tell you what I remember. At the deepest part of the tunnel, the leader asked the group (of 8) to turn off their headlamps and stay as still as possible. It was the darkest, quietest moment of my life - just complete blackness underneath the earth. It was emotional, indescribable and unforgettable. Those are the moments in which you really feel a connection to the planet. And it will never be captured on Instagram. I also like that the show features explorers that have handicaps (Eric Weihenmayer, a blind mountain climber, and Albert Lin, an explorer with a prosthetic leg) because it emphasizes how humans can adapt to our situations/environment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment