Monday, October 25, 2021

Fall Movie Preview: 9 Films I'm Excited About

It's been a long time since I've done a preview post because everything got so fucked up with movie releases during Covid - it seemed pointless to talk about something and then have it pushed back a year. But, somehow, things seem to be getting back to normal and most of the releases seem locked in (*crosses fingers and toes*). So, here is what I'm looking forward to this Fall: 

1. Spencer - I've stated it on here before, but as a reminder, I am super fascinated with Princess Diana. I idolized her, just like a lot of young girls my age did. I've been majorly disappointed in the way she's been portrayed in movies/tv - and I don't think anyone has gotten her essence right. I'm hopeful for this. Kristen Stewart is an inspiring choice, and it seems from the early reviews that she's an Oscar shoo-in. Also, from what I've seen, the costume design is stunning. But, it's from the same director as Jackie and I didn't love that. So, I'm cautiously excited for this. 

2. Last Night in Soho - I've already seen a lot of mixed reviews and many critics have expressed disappointment, but I'm still excited about this. I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright and I love how different this feels from his usual projects. The trailer is absolutely perfect with the haunting version of "Downtown". I love Anya Taylor-Joy, but I've never liked Thomasin McKenzie, though (and actually I've found her to be the worst part of every movie she is in, but I am definitely a minority in this thought. No surprise there, really). It looks like it has the perfect amount of suspense mixed with film noir vibes. 

3. The French Dispatch - I'm not always the biggest Wes Anderson fan (in fact, I've hated a few of his most loved films *ahem* Moonrise Kingdom *cough* The Grand Budapest Hotel *ahem*), but he's got a certain style that I admire and I've enjoyed some of his films (it's been a while, though). The cast of this (as in most of his movies) is incredible, so I'm in whether I like it or not. 

4. Eternals - For the most part, the trailers have been super boring. But the cast is great, and that's hard to ignore. Salma Hayek is stunning, but she's also 55 and Mexican, so not exactly you're typical superhero (the times they are a-changin' and it is GLORIOUS). Barry Keoghan has given some incredible performances, so I'm excited to see him in something more mainstream. And Richard Madden gets to keep his Scottish accent!!! Fucking YES! Plus, Gemma Chan, Angelina Jolie, Brian Tyree Henry- just such a stacked cast (I'm ignoring that Kit Harrington is in it. He can't act for shit, what the fuck? I thought he would disappear after GoT). I probably won't see this in a theater (actually I probably won't go to the theater at all this year, but we'll see), but I'm still somewhat excited about this. 

5. House of Gucci - I'm trying to go in a little blind on this one - I have not watched the trailer, and have only seen a few of the production still images which look great. Plus, it's Ridley Scott. And Lady Gaga really impressed me in A Star is Born (not so much in AHS, though). 

6. Red Notice - While this looks incredibly dumb, it also looks like a fun action movie with three very charismatic lead actors. That's really all I need sometimes. And I appreciate that it's streaming on Netflix right away, so I don't have to wait like I do for most of the others in this post. 

7. Belfast - I don't know much about this, but have seen a few critics say that it's their favorite of the year so far. Jamie Dornan has been acing every role lately (I mean, even the crazy bee guy is memorable). Also, I'm interested in Kenneth Branagh's writing efforts because I think the only films he's written are all adapted from Shakespeare? I'm sure it will still have Shakespearian affection. 

8. Passing - Excited for Rebecca Hall's directorial debut! And Ruth Negga & Tessa Thompson are both incredible actresses. I think the story sounds pretty interesting too, and relevant even though it takes place in the 1920s. 

9. Licorice Pizza - This is another one that I'm going to try to go in blind for - so far I've avoided the trailer (but I did see pretty much everyone raving about it). I think I now consider myself a PTA fan, since I absolutely love 3 out of his last 4 films (and 2 of them I would even consider masterpieces, which is rare for me to say). And obviously, I love Bradley Cooper, but you knew that already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment