Monday, September 20, 2021

4 Thoughts on The Emmys

1. The Host - Wow, I didn't think it could get any worse than the miserable guys from SNL from a few years back (Colin something and Michael Che? That sounds right?), but Cedric the Entertainer was...horrible. First, I don't think many people in the audience got what he was even talking about for most of it because everything was very dated. A Tom Brady Super Bowl joke? An "all flies matter" joke about Pence? Those things happened AGES ago. And he kept bringing up his own shows that, maybe, the CBS audience might know about, but certainly not a wide audience. I mean, I laughed at his Martin joke, but then I was like, really? A joke about Martin in 2021? Everything just landed with a big thud, which is definitely disappointing because the opening was cute with everyone in the audience singing "Just a Friend", which is such an infectious song - I'm sure it will now be stuck in my head for weeks. I also didn't mind the "Where's my f-ing Emmy" skit, only because Fred Savage appeared. 

2. The Show - Unfortunately, I had a triple whammy of having had too much to drink just hours before, getting my period (TMI, I don't care) and then, about 30 minutes in, getting a migraine in my left eye so bad that I usually would have locked myself away in a very dark, soundless room, but I made it through the show with one eye trying to focus on the disaster before me. But, it was more disappointing for me because I actually enjoy scrolling twitter during awards shows for hilarious commentary, but when I get migraines I literally can't look at a phone screen (I'll never understand people who tweet "I have such a migraine!". I often don't believe them because why are you essentially making things worse for yourself by tweeting? To gain sympathy from strangers, I guess? I mean, I tweet random crap too - it's nice to just vent sometimes, but the migraine thing is weird to me). Anyway, the experience was not fun, and I contemplated going to bed several times, but then I kept telling myself that it was almost over - except it never was. It lasted for-fucking-ever. And other than the host being a complete disaster, there wasn't much else to it. The presenters all did...fine? Nothing too memorable. I think the problem was mostly with the speeches - everyone just took so fucking long, and some completely ignored the music playing them off multiple times. Sometimes this works, and comes off as endearing, but also the production team is trying to stick to a schedules, so, like, say thank you and then shut the fuck up! Also, how did I not realize that Debbie Allen from Grey's Anatomy is the Debbie Allen? My brain never put that together at all, which is weird because she looks the same. I never realized how much she did behind the scenes, and from that montage of all that she has accomplished, it's refreshing to see someone who deserves the praise actually win such a big honor (unlike someone...like...*cough* Tyler Perry *cough). 

3. The Winners - I expected Ted Lasso and The Crown to completely dominate the awards this year, and I think they are both absolutely deserving of it. I'm fully on board the Ted Lasso train. Choo-fucking-choo!! If you told me two years ago that I would be rooting for Jason Sudeikis (the most boring, mediocre comedian around) to win an award, I would have laughed at you. But when things like this happen, I actually applaud myself for my ability to be open-minded about performances. I truly do watch everything with a blank slate and will fully admit when someone that I may have never liked before turns in a performance of a lifetime. Sudeikis is absolute perfection in this role - his positivity is infectious, his comedic timing is perfect, and more recently he has driven a really emotionally resonating storyline with such a natural ease. As for the supporting cast - Hannah Waddingham is spectacular, and I was rooting for Brendan Hunt over Brett Goldstein (Coach Beard is my favorite), but people love Roy Kent (for good reason), so I'm not complaining about his win. And also, speaking of actors I don't usually like, Juno Temple is winning me over with this role too (it's slow, but it's definitely happening). The Crown is a more established show that the Emmys have been awarding since the beginning, and I still maintain that it is deserving of every one of them (but I'm so glad Emma Corrin didn't win - I think if they went for Supporting, they might have won). The winners for the Limited Series categories were pretty split between Mare of Easttown and The Queen's Gambit, with Mare winning the performance categories and The Queen's Gambit winning production and series. I think that was a bit expected, but I do think Anya should have won over Kate (Winslet's performance was very uneven for me). And I actually wasn't expecting Evan Peters to take the win, but I'm pretty happy with that result. Julianne Nicholson has been in the game for years and has been severely underrated, so it's really nice to see her get some recognition. 

4. The Fashion - I think one of the reasons that I was looking forward to this is because I was hoping it felt "normal". Last year's Emmys were literally called the "pandemmys" and they had people in fucking hazmat suits giving out awards. Like, just think about that for a second. The past 20 months have just been so fucking wild and unbelievable, but I know so many people who are at their limit (including myself) and I'm worried about what's going to happen if people don't start feeling that normalcy soon. There's still a part of me that wonders if throwing a big awards celebration and having celebrities wear overly expensive dresses and jewels during a pandemic is wildly inappropriate, but a bigger part of me longs for it. Plus, I fully believe how you look effects how you feel about yourself - and so many people found themselves working from home wearing sweat pants every day, and I just went in the complete opposite direction. I wore a dress almost every day to work - the brightest and boldest I could find in my closet because I knew it would lift my mood even ever so slightly. So, with that being said, I love the fashion at awards shows. The bright colors trend definitely dominated with stunning looks from Kaley Cuoco and Michaela Coel. Keri Russell also looked stunning (and I saw her on a few worst lists...what?!). I also really loved Samira Wiley's suit - even though it was black, it had this really amazing sparkle to it and she just glowed in it. Also, on the men's side - I love men in velvet suits, so Sudeikis was perfect, but also I died when I saw Brendan Hunt's top hat and cane (it's hilariously perfect for him). As for the worst, I don't like to do it, but sometimes I can't help myself (and this has no correlation to the person, just the dress), but what was Aidy Bryant wearing?? It looked like she was going to a high school renaissance fair. I know a lot of people liked Anya's dress, but it looked far too prom like for me (it was mostly the combo of that dress with that hair that did it). And why was Annie Murphy wearing a bathrobe??? But truly the worst - Emma Corrin - the unflattering color, fit, matching gloves with those claw-like nails, topped (literally) with a bonnet. I can't even look at them with a straight face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment