Thursday, December 24, 2020

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. A Teacher - There are some things I really like about this limited series  - first, I absolutely adore Kate Mara. I think she deserves so much more credit than she gets, and she's excellent here in a very unlikeable role. Second, I appreciate that they take a very "icky" subject and give it depth and layers - nothing in life is black and white. I'm not referring to her actions - which are very clearly disturbing. Instead, I'm impressed with the way they are showing his side of the story and how his life is effected (vs how people assume his life was effected). And I do think they do a good job of showing her side, as well - even if it doesn't change the fact that she's a terrible person (being bored with your life is no excuse for her actions, but I think it's this innate sense of needing/causing "drama" to stimulate one's world that isn't often explored in a realistic way like this is). And third, I'm not finished with the series yet (I think I have 3 episodes left), but I love how quickly it's paced. The episodes are short and concise with very little filler, there are time-jumps that push the story forward, and it never really ends the way you expect. I'm interested to see if they end the series in the way that I think they will (which would be very controversial, but also realistic and explores more of the "grey" of life). There are also a few things I don't care for - a big one is the over-use of 90s/00s hip-hop songs (17 year old kids definitely don't listen to "Big Pimpin'" - a song that is 20 years old). It feels so forced, which contradicts everything else about the show. I'm also not the biggest fan of Nick Robinson; he reminds me of Ansel Egort, minus the charisma. He also needs a haircut, stat. 

2. Truth Seekers - This is a big disappointment for me. I just have really high hopes for something created by Nick Frost and Simon Pegg - and this is just sort of blah. I was entertained for some of it, but I kept getting sidetracked by other things while watching it. The plot is actually great (they are paranormal investigators - as a comedy that should work really well). And I adore the cast - especially when my favorite, Kelly Macdonald, shows up! Where has she been? I haven't seen her in much lately. Anyway, overall, it's cute - I would watch more. I think I was just hoping for more of a laugh out loud comedy. Although, every scene with Malcolm McDowell is hilarious. What a legend. 

3. Big Sky - I'm very angry with this show. And I'm about to write about a *MAJOR Spoiler/plot twist* within the first episode - so stop reading if you want to be surprised. The show is advertised as a new show STARRING "the sexiest man on the planet, Ryan Phillippe" (I may have added the sexiest man on the planet part, but it's true), and then he gets shot in the fucking head at the end of the pilot. And like, really shot in the head, no way is he coming back from that - he's dead, no question. That's some bullshit, right there. He has shown up in the next few episodes in very short flashback scenes (and credited as "guest starring"), but the stars of the show are definitely a bunch of no-names, so I really feel like they tricked a lot of people into watching it (i.e every girl who was obsessed with Ryan since 1997). Actually, I obviously recognize many of the other actors (especially the two teenage girls - one from Little Fires Everywhere and the other from Gotham &The Goldbergs). But, it's some damn fine false advertising and it really upsets me. I've watched another 3 or 4 episodes and so far it's been really boring (and actually the "twist" in the pilot about the sheriff is obvious even from the commercials and literally nothing else about it has surprised me - it is really disappointing). I'll keep watching this season, but if it doesn't actually DO something, then I won't be watching anymore (unless they do a prequel? with Ryan's character alive and solving a previous mystery?). 

4. Your Honor - I've watched the first two episodes so far, and it is GOOD. I couldn't really figure out how they were going to take this story and make us sympathize with this father/son - if you don't know what the story is about: the kid kills someone in a hit & run and his father, a judge, uses his power to cover it up. Absolutely vile. BUT, they actually make it work (I won't spoil how, but basically he isn't saving his son from being rightfully charged with murder, he's saving him from being murdered....intriguing...right? WATCH IT.). The second episode makes everything even messier by introducing a fairly innocent individual who gets caught up in this crime - bringing even more depth to the story. Bryan Cranston is spectacular (as per usual). I'm so excited to see where this story goes (and hopeful that everyone gets what's coming to them). 

5. Small Axe - I'm not sure if this is considered a bunch of short films or a limited series? I've looked into it and is seems like people are in two very different camps. I guess we'll find out once it starts getting submitted for awards (will it be submitted for Oscars or Emmys???). To me, it's a limited series/anthology, similar to Monsterland. I feel like there is a superiority complex with people insisting it's a film, as if being seen as tv is lesser than, but tv has surpassed films in so many ways, so that's a weird take, in my opinion. So far, I've watched the first 3 "episodes" and I loved one, liked one, and was indifferent on one (Lovers Rock > Red, White and Blue > Mangrove). I think this might be a controversial take because I've seen a LOT of love for Mangrove and I don't understand - it's a standard boring courtroom drama. The acting is great, but ultimately that's all I remember about it. Red, White and Blue felt more essential to me, with current world events - I like the dichotomy of wanting to be a police officer while also wanting to change everything about what the title represents. I also loved the story with the father demanding his day in court. It's just a much stronger story - and again, the acting is great (John Boyega is finally in a role that he seems passionate about). But, Lovers Rock is like nothing I've ever seen. It's basically just a filmed house party but there is so much happening in the small moments. It feels raw, genuine, and sensual. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. And I'll never forget it. I do feel a bit disappointed as a whole, though, simply because I haven't been absolutely stunned by any particular scene yet (which is essential with a Steve McQueen project - even with a film I didn't care for like Widows, there is still a scene that I was stunned by). But there's still two more episodes to go, so here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment