Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Happiest Season - This movie is super cute. I appreciate that it keeps to being a "traditional" family holiday movie, while also focusing the story on a gay couple. There's just a lot to like - First, I adore Clea DuVall. I'm so happy that she's writing/directing now. And the Josh Hartnett poster in Harper's room is the perfect nod to Clea's beginnings. I think she did a great job creating characters that are layered, flawed, charming, and genuine. Second, this is where Kristen Stewart excels - she is very adorable in this because her awkwardness works with the story. I'm a big fan of the rest of the cast - Mackenzie Davis is wonderful (even when her character turns into a bitch, I still had sympathy for her). Dan Levy is hilarious (him pretending to be straight is probably my favorite part of the movie. Plus he nails my feelings about marriage as one of the most "archaic institutions of the human race". Hear fucking hear!). Plus, you can't go wrong with Alison Brie AND Aubrey Plaza (who is actually decent in this - I've questioned her acting in pretty much everything aside from Parks and Rec). Third, I think it's wildly hypocritical that people are criticizing the ending of this movie, because historically there is so much valid criticism of gay representation in films as being that of tragic nature (as in, most gay characters in mainstream movies aren't given happy endings). This movie sticks with a very classic happy ending for our main couple in a traditional rom-com Holiday movie. Isn't that what we want? 

2. The Hunt - *spoilers* I expected this to be insane; I just wasn't sure how insane. It's basically a Goddamn shit-show, really. It's a literal fight between the "Deplorables" and the "Snowflakes" except the "Snowflakes" have turned into the "Deplorables" because the "Deplorables" accused them of something heinous in a wacky conspiracy theory so they decided to make the conspiracy theory a reality. Truly a shit-show. However, it's also a little bit fun - the dark humor works really well, there are some great kill scenes (and also extremely surprising - Just as I thought "ooooh I didn't know they were in this!" Boom *dead*. And on a side-note - it's obvious who the brunette is in the beginning because her name is listed in the opening credits and she's THE MOST FAMOUS ONE. Why did they bother trying to make it a surprise?). Betty Gilpin leads the whole movie, and she is great (as always), but it's hard to root for her (or anyone, really), so the twist at the end is definitely necessary. It's all beyond ridiculous and stupid, but entertainingly so. And I think that's what they set out to do, so ultimately it is a successful movie. 

3. Nocturne - *spoilers* Another Blumhouse Production on Amazon. While I liked it better than The Lie, it still feels like it's in the same universe as it, and of movies that are trying to be deeper than they actually are. It's like an amateur version of Black Swan and Whiplash. I like the idea of jealousy and greed destroying you (mentally and physically), and I think it's even more complicated when the person that you are seen as "lesser than" is your twin sister. It's sibling rivalry taken to the extreme. There are a few really great scenes - like the "coming at me" scene - the music is haunting and the beats hit just right. The ending is also very stunning (and makes the already beautiful poster downright chilling). But ultimately it feels immature, and a little bit like a soap opera (sleeping with her sister's barely ex-boyfriend instantly makes her unlikable. And ugh, what a shitty first time - with someone who is clearly an asshole, on the floor, for 30 seconds. I truly feel bad for this girl). I'm pretty disappointed with these movies, so far, but I'll give one more a go (I'm thinking Black Box?). 

4. Hillbilly Elegy - The discourse around this movie is a little bit embarrassing, to be honest. I don't read full reviews of movies until after I watch the movie - but I saw snippets of some incredibly harsh reviews for this, so my expectations were managed. Overall, I think this movie is ok - a three star movie (which is how I feel about most movies - a majority of them range between 2.5 and 3 stars). Amy Adams gives another stellar performance, and ultimately carries the movie. It's a little cheesy, predictable, and it doesn't really have anything new to offer. However, as far as the reviews and discussions about this movie, I have some concerns. So, a big one that went around is that this movie "throws all its women under the bus to save one man", which is true, but the story is a "true story" based on this "one man's" memoir - so what's the problem, exactly? He very clearly shows all the sacrifices the women around him make in order for him to be successful. And that HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE. Like, what the fuck world do people live in? Women, especially mothers, sacrifice their lives all the time for their sons (or husbands) because men have a BETTER CHANCE at being successful. It's so weird to me that people are upset that a movie is showcasing sexism...that exists, arguing that it's sexist? But....but...that's the POINT. Another criticism is that this story would have been seen differently if the family weren't white. Which, again, is true. But the story is again a "true story" about a poor, white family. Were they supposed to somehow include commentary on race? (The answer is no.) And the third discussion I saw is that the scene showing his credit card declining is inaccurate and a misconception because poor people know exactly how much money they have. I agree with that sentiment (poor people are actually better at knowing their finances than rich people, for the most part), but I also think that the point is that he's using credit cards as his means of survival because he has no money (even with scholarships and loans, he has an overwhelming amount of expenses). And credit cards are essential to poor people, but they are also what keeps poor people...poor. Couldn't the discourse be around that? Something that is actually an important discussion? Also, there are levels of poor - and I don't think it's ever implied that this family is living in poverty (I saw some suggest The Florida Project for a more accurate depiction of poor, but while it's great, it's definitely about a different level of poor). Anyway, I'm done I think (and I didn't even get into the whole judgement based on politics part! It's just all too much). 

5. Sound of Metal - I really loved this movie. First, Riz Ahmed is incredible. Second, ditto for Olivia Cooke (but whyyyyy the bleached eyebrows...whyyyyy???). Third, it's just a really great story of losing something that feels like an essential part of who you are, and having to learn how to live without it. It's applied to this story as the main character, a heavy-metal drummer, suffers from sudden hearing loss and it's recommended that he avoid loud noises - causing him to give up one of his biggest passions (and career). But, I think the story can be applied to literally any situation and is therefore very relatable. Both Ahmed and Cooke create fully fleshed out characters, suffering from heartbreak and fear of this inevitable conclusion to this part of their lives. As it ended, I noticed Derek Cianfrance's name as one of the writers and executive producers and said to myself "yeah, that tracks" (if you've seen his movies, you'll understand). There are also some stunning shots and exceptional use of sound (or lack thereof). Also, on a slightly related note - it has been on my list for a long time, but I think this next year I'm going to learn sign language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment