Monday, May 27, 2019

The 10 Best & Worst TV Shows of the 2018-2019 Season

Best 

1. Counterpart - You Guys!!! I am so upset that this show got cancelled, but even more upset that no-one watched it. First, J.K. Simmons is fucking fantastic as two separate versions of the same character (it's a sci-fi series about parallel worlds - I guess I should have led with that...). It's such an interesting character, and fascinating to theorize about what makes up ones "self". What events led to someone "being" the way that they are? The parallel world story has been done plenty of times, but never like this. It was so original, and intense, and the acting was phenomenal. You all missed out.

2. Killing Eve - Season 1 was the best show on television last year. Season 2 has been more of the same - and almost better in some ways (which seemed so impossible). Jodie Comer is my favorite person in the world right now. The little grins she gives, and the loneliness that she exudes in these really subtle ways is just absolutely brilliant. The relationship between Villanelle and Eve is really unexpected and beautiful (a little reminiscent of Luther, but still beautiful).

3. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - This show is consistently among the best sitcoms ever year for the past 11 years! However, they just blew up the entire sitcom genre with their game-changing season finale. Most described the finale as "jaw-dropping", which is completely accurate. I saw a lot of people talking about it after it aired, and I assumed that they did something non-PC, which is kinda what they are known for. I was so shocked with what they actually did - something extraordinary beautiful- a STUNNING dance performance that represents the internal struggle of Mac's religious beliefs and his sexuality. It will go down in history as one of the best moments in television - and it deserves all of the Emmys.

4. Shameless - The rise and fall of Fiona is the soul of this show, while the heart of the show is Lip's constant strive to do what is right. This past season, with Fiona's heartbreaking "rock bottom" and Lip's quest to take in an abandoned child really just struck all the right cords with me. This is the only show that I watch with a lump in my throat because it always hits me so hard. Ugh, then they had to end Ian's story in *just* the right way (although, I heard Ian is coming back??!). This just might be my favorite season yet (and to be clear it still doesn't hold a candle to the first season the UK version - which is among my favorite seasons of television ever).

5. Better Things - I've written about this show many times, and nothing has changed. Still one of the best comedies on television. Pamela Adlon deserves all of the Emmys. I love her approach to motherhood and friendship. This season feels really confident and natural, and it continues with these really small moments that feel genuine and subtle. It's funny, but not really in a laugh-out-loud way.

6. Dirty John - For a trashy Lifetime series, I really enjoyed this. I liked the way they framed the story - in a more non-linear way. I bought the book that it's based on (which is based on a podcast, which is based on a real-life "Dirty John". I will never get into podcasts...just not going to happen. I have a hard time listening to people talk. I tend to get headaches. I'm more of a visual person.). I think Connie Britton does a great job of being naive, but not stupid - she truly wants to see the best in people, but unfortunately, there are very bad people in the world that take advantage of that. I have to admit, though, her daughters are played by two of my least favorite young actresses (Juno Temple and Julia Garner - and they are both truly terrible in this). It's odd that the series was picked up for season 2, because this had a very clear ending.

7. The Romanoffs - I'm really only adding this because of a single episode - episode 7 titled "End of the Line". It's top-five episode of the year material. Overall, the series is good, not great. I like that they are all stand-alone stories with one, sometimes very minor, connection. But, man, this episode really hit me hard and I'm not exactly sure why. I don't have any personal connection to the story line, but I was so emotionally invested while watching this. It turns into one of these debates in which you can understand both sides, even though both sides are heartbreaking. Also, this is a really striking turn for the usually very funny Kathryn Hahn.

8. A Million Reasons Why - Okay, it's not like Emmy-worthy or anything, but as a sappy Drama, it has me hooked. They've done a really good job of making the audience fall in love with the characters. I have mixed feelings about the finale, as I understand that utilizing a certain event might be sensitive for some people, but I also think it's a big part of *recent* American history, and the effects have trickled down for the past 18 years. It's a part of our story. We can't keep side-stepping it.

9. The Man in the High Castle - I recently caught up with this series, and the most recent season has really hit its stride. I think it took a little too long to get here, but now that it's here...it's really fascinating. I'm glad that they are ending it after season 4, because otherwise they would have dragged it out even more. The cast is great - I mean, Rufus Sewell as a Nazi?! You would think it wouldn't work, but it does. Alexa Davalos (who I'm in love with) and relative newcomer, Luke Kleintank make a great team, and DJ Qualls is added for mostly comedic effect. It's a fun series about history and time-travel with a little romance and drama added in. (and no, I haven't read the book, but it's on my growing list!).

10. The Good Place - Just a ball of joy. I really hesitated watching this, because I'm not the biggest fan of Kristen Bell (I'm not not a fan, but I tried watching Veronica Mars once, and I wanted to die - the acting is painful). She's great in this, though. As is the rest of the cast. I would say that this is probably my favorite ensemble on tv right now. I can't decide who my favorite is, but most likely Jason Mendoza. Although D'Arcy Carden absolutely killed it in the episode titled "Janet(s)". And Chidi is hilarious in a more subtle way. Ugh, they're all just so good.

*Bonus* 11. Schitt's Creek - While this most recent season was not my favorite, the series as a whole is just wonderful so I'm adding it to list to encourage everyone to watch it. Dan Levy deserves some awards.

Worst 

1. Manifest - Apparently this series has been renewed for season 2, which blows my mind because that means it still has an audience. I just couldn't handle it anymore - I think I made it through 10 episodes and this was only because of the main star. She is memorizing, but the rest of the cast is dull. The story just kept getting more and more ridiculous. It was unbearable.

2. Iron Fist and Luke Cage - I know people are getting upset at Netflix cancelling all of their shows (to make way for new ones!), but this was definitely needed. Both of these shows were so absolutely boring. I would put on an episode, and then fight myself from falling asleep within 20 minutes. I felt like I had to watch it in case there were connections to the other Defenders shows (btw, I'm about 1/2 way through Daredevil S3 and if it doesn't start to pick up, I would definitely include it in the worst shows - what the Hell did they do to Fisk? He used to be such a fascinating villain!). I think these shows started off poorly just because of the terrible casting. And some really terrible acting (what the fuck was with Alice Eve's split personality character? The acting made my brain hurt).

3. The Walking Dead - Oh man, I can't believe I still watch this crap. But, I've already invested so much time. I feel like I have to follow through. I did love the addition of Samantha Morton because she is a fantastic under-rated actress. I like her character, not as strong of a villain as Negan, but I doubt anyone will be. I was really happy that they finally killed off the main (weak!) characters. But, the whole let's live in peace crap is really boring. Like they wouldn't just kill Negan?! How fucking dumb. Also they skipped forward so the kids are teenagers, and we are supposed to care about them. I think.

4. The CW DC Shows - I'm so glad that Arrow is ending next year because it's so bad now. I can't even keep up with the side characters - Black Siren should have stayed dead, but then she keeps fucking coming back and we're supposed to care if she's good or evil or both or neither. I don't give a fuck. Then The Flash doesn't make any bit of sense with the whole daughter story-line. So dull. But the worst offense is Supergirl because I really enjoyed it, until now. For some reason these shows seem to have such strong beginning seasons, but drag out to chores to sit through. I'm not looking forward to Batwoman because I love Ruby Rose, and she is way too good for this.

5. Riverdale - I was all in with how ridiculous this show was in its first season, but it's jumped the shark at some point, and it's never going to come back. I adored that the show featured actors from my generation as a teenager - Molly Ringwald, Skeet Ulrich, and the late Luke Perry. I was stunned with the news of his death. I don't know why it hit me so hard, I was never a big fan of 90210 (I was more of a Melrose Place kind of girl), but I did enjoy Perry in other things (Pike!). I think I just had all of these visions of my friends having his poster on their wall and it's surreal to think that he's not here anymore. Anyway, this show blows now. It's laughable - in one scene they are talking about normal high school stuff, the next Veronica is running an underground nightclub, and then the next they are trying to stop a murderous cult. Also, the musical episodes need to stop - none of them can sing.

6. The Sinner - How do you go from Jessica Beil to Carrie Coon and make the show somehow worse? It doesn't make any sense. The biggest problem is just the storyline itself. I'm not sure I even understood the whole thing because I stopped paying attention - I think the kid killed his parents because they were kidnapping him and planning on killing him, but somehow his real mom is involved but in a cult? I don't know. It was just really dumb. And boring.

7. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - I mean, I guess I should have just listed all of The CW shows together, because honestly they are all terrible. Started out great, but multiple seasons in and they are all at the bottom of the barrel. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend really lost my support probably somewhere around last year, when she actually becomes a terrible, horrible, unkind, narcissistic asshole and we are supposed to just forgive her because she's diagnosed with a mental disorder? The whole idea of the show was to subverse the idea of the "crazy ex-girlfriend", but instead they just succumb to the same old cliches. I did enjoy the live show that aired after the finale. It shows how hard this cast works - and even though I hate what it turned into, I hope the cast succeed in their future endeavors because they are all awesome.

8. Project Blue Book - I was disappointed with this show, partly because it's from the History channel so I expected something a little more serious, and partly because I love Aidan Gillen, but man is he terrible on this show. It's super cheesy and the acting is so awkward. I only lasted 3 episodes and I had to stop watching. Nothing happened in those 3 episodes! Nothing!

9. How to Get Away with Murder - I'm not really sure where this show went wrong, but it's really fallen off a cliff. I used to like all of the characters, because they were caught up in drama that wasn't necessarily their fault, but now they are all very, very, very awful people - and I no longer want any of them to get away with murder. I hope they all end up in jail, and quickly so that I can move on.

10. Suits - I miss Meghan Markle! And Patrick J. Adams! They were the heart of the show. What the fuck?! I mean, I guess I understand why Meghan can't be a part of the show (whatever!) and I guess Mike and Rachel belong together so they "moved", but the show just isn't the same without them. It was never really a good show, but it was always a fun summer drama. Now it's dull - and they are trying to do Harvey and Donna thing, but NO THANK YOU. And I was never a big fan of Katherine Heigl (she was good on Grey's Anatomy, but the weakest of that cast), and she's terrible on this show.


No comments:

Post a Comment