Monday, September 24, 2018

4 Thoughts on the Emmy Awards

1. The Host(s) - I have seen some terrible awards show hosts in my day, but these guys might take the cake. First, I have no idea who they are. I don't watch SNL anymore and based on this, I can see that I've made the right decision. Second, that's the guy that Scarlett Johansson (aka one of the most beautiful women in the world) is with??? REALLY? THAT GUY? He looks like a boy band reject and has no personality whatsoever. Third, I don't get it. Was the fact that they looked bored and annoyed the whole time supposed to be funny? Because I think it's rude. And last, they did get something right - the "Reparation Emmy" skit was hilarious, but not because of Michael Che, only because they got absolute legends to go along with it.

2. The Winners & Losers - I'm going to say it. Fuck Game of Thrones. There is no way in Hell that it was the best Drama on television this year, last year, or any other fucking year it's been on. I enjoy the show, but a lot of it is very dull and repetitive, and some of the acting is questionable. Out of the nominated Dramas - The Americans should have won (I got my hopes up when Matthew Rhys won, but Kerri Russell dominated that show, such a shame she wasn't showered with awards). I would have even been happy with The Crown. But, no, Game of Fucking Thrones took home the big award. UGH. Other than that, I wasn't terribly upset about any other wins or losses. Some exceptional talent was nominated, it just keeps getting tougher and tougher to decide what's "best". I still haven't seen The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel yet (on the list! The massive never-ending list.), but Amy Sherman-Palladino is a joy of a person and Gilmore Girls was brilliantly written, so I have no doubt that she deserves a win. I also have not seen Godless or Barry, but I definitely need to. Speaking of Godless, I had no idea Merritt Wever is in it (moving it up the massive never-ending list now). I was so excited when they called her name because she gave my favorite awards show speech ever ("Thank you so much! I gotta go, bye"), and I was really hoping for something golden (she didn't deliver, but I still love her). My favorite win of the night was definitely Darren Criss. This performance was the most memorable of the year for me (along with Jodie Comer, who wasn't even nominated! UGH).

3. The Show - Just, so, so bad. If it weren't for the proposal, no-one would have talked about it the next day. The opening monologue was way too long and I didn't laugh at all. The "we solved it" skit that opened the show kind of seemed a little demeaning. Plus, it became even more awkward when ONLY WHITE people were winning awards. I think it's much funnier to be honest about how fucked up the entertainment industry is (like with the "Reparation Emmy" skit) than to do a meta skit that basically pats itself on the back (like look how diverse we are, but NOT REALLY, but REALLY). Thandie Newton (love!) had my favorite line of the night "I don't even believe in God, but I'm going to thank her tonight". And I think the only time I laughed out loud was with the Patton Oswald clip (I can't seem to find it, but basically he says something terrible and then says something like "I hope this doesn't get quoted out of context" - hilariously used out of context). Overall, though, this is one of the worst Emmys I've ever seen.

4. The Fashion - UGH, my biggest pet peeve trend for awards show dresses appeared way too many times - how many times do I have to say it, people, big white dresses are not flattering on anyone (not even on your wedding day). I would have loved Jessica Biel's dress if it was in another color. I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Mandy Moore's, just because it's pretty, looks different than everyone else's and it's extremely flattering on her. My least favorite dress, though, was definitely Tracee Ellis Ross. It looked like she wrapped herself in cotton candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment