Monday, September 17, 2018

Thoughts on 5 New Shows

1. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan - I've only seen the first two episodes so far, but I'm in. I enjoy the Jack Ryan character, but I enjoy John Krasinski even more. He's just so charming and earnest and...tall (**swoons dreamily**). I'm also really happy that Wendell Pierce is doing something a little bit better than Suits (yes, I totally watch Suits, I have from the beginning - but it's not a "good" show). Pierce has been a television staple for the past 20 years (most notably known as "Bunk" from The Wire). He seems a bit bored by his role here - but I think that's partially the character description. The first episode was really, really long (and it felt long), and took too long to get to the point, but the second episode was infinitely better.

2. American Woman - I'm actually a little sad that this show was already canceled after its first season. It was pretty strong, but I guess Paramount didn't like their numbers (also, maybe no-one knows what the Paramount network is??). The show was a little bit like the female side of Mad Men, but obviously not as nuanced and a little bit more cute. I think Mena Suvari was the standout for me (I was never a big Suvari fan when she was really popular, but now I think she's great). Alicia Silverstone is a legend - she's just always going to be great (and also ADORABLE - which might be why the show came off as cute instead of serious). I guess writing about this show is now pointless, so moving on...

3. Castle Rock - Seven episodes in and this is one of the most disappointing shows I've watched in a while. The cast is spectacular, but the plot has been boring as Hell. I liked the first episode - leaving it on a cliffhanger was a smart move, and then picking it up in the second episode in a completely unexpected way. That's about the only nice thing I have to say about any of the story. I think it's purposely trying to be weird and that gets tiring really quickly. I keep watching though, because THAT CAST (a highlight for me is Noel Fisher - he was great as Mickey in Shameless too. I'm excited to see what he does next).

4. Take Two - I know this is supposed to be a stupid summer show, but it's like, really, really stupid. I do love me some Rachel Bilson, though. The premise is cute, but it got stale very quickly. I did like the "alien abduction" episode best, because it wasn't as predictable and they made several references to The X-Files. It's weird to me that this show wasn't cancelled yet, but something more substantial like American Woman is (again, I think it's a network problem).

5. Disenchantment - This wasn't on my original list of Summer shows to watch, but I didn't really see any advertisement for it until like a week before it premiered (a huge problem that Netflix must address - their marketing for original content sucks). I wouldn't say I'm the biggest Matt Groening fan, but I'm not NOT a fan. I enjoy The Simpsons very much, but I LOVE Futurama. This show doesn't feel like it's in the same league as either of them. It's actually quite boring and not funny. There's too much plot (and repetitive plot, at that), not enough humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment