Thursday, April 21, 2011

5 Thoughts on "Glee's" Night of Neglect

1. The neglected cast – Pretty much the only “good” thing that came out of this episode is that we get to see some more from the so-called “neglected” cast members of the Glee club (like Tina, Mike & Mercedes) - the combined talent of these 3 leaves me speechless. Harry Shum Jr. was absolutely fantastic dancing to ‘Bubble Toes’. The choreography was mind blowing - I agree with others that sometimes his moves seem a little repetitive (and "mime-ish") but it still impresses the hell out of me (I could have done without the mop...). I was disappointed that they cut Tina off by the hecklers (can’t the poor girl catch a break?) she sounded really good – I liked that it was a different song for Glee. And Mercedes well what can I say….she is just Amazing. She looked great too – can she please dress a little more glamorous like this (instead of the usual neon, ill-fitting clothes they put her in)? Of course, I loved that Rachel considers herself “neglected” and that she wanted to sing 'My Heart Will Go On' (this is the second time this season that they teased me with this song - that is not very nice Glee).

2. The league of doom – The only consistently funny aspect to the episode was Sue's creation of The League of Doom. I would have preferred more from Terri (AKA "The Honey Badger") than Sandy Ryerson(AKA "The Pink Dagger") but at least they hint that there will be more from her in future episodes. I absolutely loved that Sue's plan was to bring hecklers to their event – hilarious. Also hilarious was the Vocal Adrenaline coach blending in as a student by standing in the hallway with a notebook that had “student” written on it. His hitting on Holly was quite perfect – “I’m handsome, I’m good looking and I’m easy on the eyes.” I almost died when Sandy was wearing all pink (with a matching pink cape and a hat with a dagger on it). Sue’s response to the outfit “How do you manage to enter a building without setting off all of the fire alarms?” The absolute best catchphrase ever - “You just got poked…poked by the dagger”.

3. The point – I guess my biggest problem with the episode was that it felt very jumbled and pointless. It was extremely plot heavy (which I usually prefer) but it had too many different plots going on - and none of them were very exciting. It was almost like the writers were trying to clean up their mess before moving on to Nationals. Here is a break down of the plots: 1st: we have the Glee club raising money to go to Nationals but then they decide to raise money for The Decathlon team instead by staging a talent show for “neglected artists”. (but they are unsuccessful – apparently they can’t even get their own parents to support them…). 2nd: Kurt and Blaine are there and have a run in with Karofsky but he gets shut down by Santana and her hidden razor blades. 3rd: The League of Doom is trying to destroy the Glee club (and Will) because apparently they have nothing better to do with their existence. 4th: Mercedes is told by Lauren that she is too nice and that she needs to start making demands like a true diva – this is the most ridiculous plot of the episode since her “demands” seem to cost more than the actual event would make. And I am pretty sure Mercedes has acted like a “diva” since the very first episode. 5th: Will has a very sweet moment with Emma (Carl has asked for an annulment) – which makes his new commitment-phobic GF, Holly, upset and wanting to flee. 6th: Sunshine was brought back (remember her from the season 2 premiere) but just to belt out one song then disappear again. So, there you have it - 6 different plots in a one hour show - and the best part was that it was all pointless!! The only plots that pushed the story forward were – Will and Holly breaking up (bringing back the fan favorite - “Wemma”) and getting Santana involved with the whole bullying storyline (I have a feeling this story will turn epic). Everything else was "filler".

4. The highlights – Even though I found most of the episode pretty boring I did enjoy a few smaller moments like: Brittany in “The Brainiacs” – apparently she is an expert in cat diseases. She had one of the only lines that made me laugh – after Mr. Shue decides that they will be selling Salt Water Taffy – Brittany declares “I love salt water”. The Mercedes/Rachel scene where Rachel tells her if she wants to be a star and have the closing number then she has to go in and take it from her. That was actually really great advice and I just adore Rachel’s unapologetic attitude about being a star. Finn looking at his hands after Holly announces that everyone thought Wallis Simpson was a hermaphrodite because she had giant hands (yes, I notice those little things). While I didn’t like the "Mercedes is a diva" plot line – I did enjoy her demands (a small barrel of green m&m’s, a team of humidifiers and a fresh puppy to dry her hands). Finn’s reactions to the demands were priceless. Can I just take a moment to point out something that baffles me - How is it that Cory Monteith is soooo much hotter than Finn Hudson? Don't get me wrong - Finn is my favorite character and he is totally adorable, but Cory is um....how do I say this nicely - totally fuckable. Case in point: this is him at Coachella - http://cory-monteith.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=425&pid=27505#top_display_media - aside from the fact that I have a thing for hot guys in white t-shirts (and a thing for drummers..) what is it that makes him so much hotter? The scruff? The hair? or is it that he is just that good of an actor that he instinctively can hide his sexiness in order to play a 16 year old boy? It's like magic. O.k - sorry for my rant...moving on. The biggest highlight was definitely Mike Chang though – not only his amazing performance but he also had actual lines (funny ones!). His screeching brakes noise he made when Rachel said she was performing ‘My Heart Will Go On’ was perfection.

5. The lowlights – I think the general consensus of this episode is that it sucked (but nothing can be worse than Comeback right?). I have to admit that I was definitely disappointed...especially after waiting 5 whole weeks for a new episode! Besides the already mentioned jumbled and pointless plot – there were a few other things I hated in this episode like…..Quinn’s hair (seriously who thinks that the feathered look is flattering?). Plus, it's official: I don’t like Holly Holiday anymore (I knew that was going to happen since they insisted on shoving her down our throats). 3 reasons: 1. Her whole “deathly allergic to commitment” shtick was seriously annoying. 2. Her voice is not nearly good enough to sing an Adele song (that was just embarrassing) and since now I feel bad for anonymously criticising someone on the Internet - I will say that she looked fantastic. 3. Speaking of... her whole speech to the hecklers was seriously hard to watch (really do we need a speech about how hard it is for celebrities to get bullied by anonymous people on the Internet? What the F does that have to do with Glee club?). Side note: did she actually use the term “amaze-balls”? Also, Charice can’t act which is probably why we haven't seem much of her (I did it again! My apologies to Charice...I must just be jealous). While she did sound fantastic singing 'All By Myself' – It was a little awkward to have a teenage girl singing it. I could have done without this performance - it served zero purpose (I am loving Puck’s audience reactions though).

No comments:

Post a Comment