Sunday, April 17, 2011

Summer Film Preview: 18 Films That I am Excited to See!!




Wooofreeakkinnhooo! Things are finally starting to look up in the movie industry - Summer films are right around the corner and there are some pretty good choices of films to see (unlike last year - I didn't even write a post because I only wanted to see 2 films!!). This year, there are a whopping 18 films that I plan on seeing in the theater:






1. The Hangover Part II - I. Can't. Wait. The fact that it has been 2 years already since the first film is quite disturbing, but I am ecstatic about seeing more from The Wolf-Pack. I am hoping Justin Bartha has a bigger part in this one - maybe he can actually join in on the extreme hi jinks this time? Other things that excite me: Ken Jeong is listed as part of the cast, Ed Helms has a Tyson like face tattoo, a monkey is involved, the stakes are raised - it takes place in Thailand . It is sure to be EPIC. 5/26



2. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides – ok, I am not really excited by the 4th installment of this franchise, but I will see it anyway. I was at a loss for words when I heard that Orlando and Kiera were out - they are the whole heart of the franchise. I'm not sure that a film focusing solely on Jack Sparrow will interest me (he is definitely enjoyable in smaller doses - but a whole film...I'm not so sure). I loved the first film, the next two were enjoyable but hardly memorable. I am not expecting much from this one either...but you never know, maybe I will be surprised. 5/20



3. Midnight in Paris – Woody Allen is quoted in EW as saying "the less you know the more enjoyable it is". True story. I feel like I get so excited by previews and clips that by the time I see the film it is a disappointment. I am happy that we know nothing about this film other than it stars Owen Wilson & Rachel McAdams (who proved their comedic and romantic chemistry already in Wedding Crashers) and I am guessing it takes place in Paris....at midnight? 5/20



4. Tree of Life – The trailer is astounding and beautiful. Plus, Terrance Malick directing a film starring Brad Pitt is sure to be at the very least... interesting. 5/27



5. Hesher – Oh JGL - you never cease to amaze me. He finally makes it into mainstream films like Inception, without "selling out" - he is at a career high point but still chooses to do an independent film where he grows his hair (to extremely unappealing lengths) to portray a stoner. The film doesn't look very good, but I love him so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. 5/13



6. Super 8 - I will be seeing this film for one reason and one reason only: JJ Abrams. 6/10



7. Bad Teacher – Cameron Diaz is an amazing comedian - I don't really like her as a serious actress. Jason Segel is so awkward and hilarious. Justin Timberlake is...well...he is pretty much amazing at everything he does, however most of his films suck (Alpha Dog, Edison, Black Snake Moan....I could go on, but that would just be rude). I am hoping he is now on a winning streak with The Social Network. 6/24



8. X-Men: First Class – I was so over the X-Men films, but then they announced this pre-quel starring one of my all time favorite actors - James McAvoy!!! What a way to renew my interest!! Throw in January Jones and you can officially call me excited. 6/3



9. Crazy, Stupid, Love -Ryan Gosling is an interesting choice for a romantic comedy - I am intrigued to see if he can pull it off. Especially alongside the amazingly hilarious Emma Stone (and of course Steve Carell). Plus, it has the best title of all the summer films - isn't that reason enough to see it? or are you just enticed by the fact that Ryan gets naked? 7/29



10. Transformers: Dark of the Moon –I still to this day argue that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was not an awful film - it didn't hold a candle to the first one but it is not often that sequels do. I am excited for this film because I know it will have kick ass action, the charm of Shia LaBeouf and a ridiculous but entertaining plot (ala any Michael Bay film) - so count me in. I am disappointed that Megan Fox is not in it - that Rosie girl is not nearly as hot. And let's be honest the only point of having a female in this film is to run around in a low cut top looking hot. 7/1



11. Friends With Benefits – Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis would make the absolute perfect couple - since the rumors of them dating in real life seem to be mere gossip, at least we get to see them do it on screen. I refused to see the sure to be painful to sit through film No Strings Attached, but I will sit through this similar film just for them. I hope it doesn't make me hat them... 7/22



12. Horrible Bosses –The horrible bosses are: Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell & Jennifer Aniston. How genius is that? I am hoping that Jen finally breaks free from her awful romantic comedy territory and plays against type and an evil bitch. It is definitely a "dark" comedy - the premise is that 3 guys set out to murder their bosses. HILARIOUS! right? 7/8



13. Monte Carlo – Nope...not a joke. Cory Monteith on the big screen saying "hi" is all I need in my life. I mean, if I can sit through Hybrid and Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep just for him, then surely I can make it through this...right? I already warned my friend that I am making him sit through this (hey...he made me sit through 17 Again....which turned out to be totally cute). Maybe this film will surprise me as well? Selena Gomez is totally adorable and I love Leighton Meester.... 7/1



14. The Help – A friend of mine recommended this book to me a while ago, but I never got the chance to read it yet....so now I can just watch the movie, which is much more appealing to me! Plus it is the 3rd film this summer featuring Emma Stone and I adore her. This film has "Oscar material" written all over it. 8/12



15. 30 Minutes or Less – 2 of my favorite comedians - Aziz Ansari & Nick Swardson in one film!!! It is sure to be hilarious. And it even has Jesse Eisenberg who is sure to bring his always entertaining awkwardness to the film. 8/12



16. Our Idiot Brother – Adam Scott! I love you! Why oh why did they cancel Party Down?! It still makes my heart hurt to think about it. This film is sort of described as an early Woody Allen film, which means that in theory - I should like it. 8/26



17. Higher Ground – The always amazing Vera Farmiga's directorial debut. Enough said. 8/12



18. Fright Night – I actually don't remember the original, maybe I will watch it soon. But I love that Colin Farrell is thinking outside the box and participating in films that are completely different for him (he is one of my favorite actors - see Tigerland and you will understand why). I know vampires are completely over (they are soooo 2009) but I always enjoy a good slaying so who cares! 8/19






and just for fun...here are some films I will not be seeing:



1. Something Borrowed – I know that my mother will likely drag me to some chick flick this summer, but I will choose the film Bridesmaids over this one – at least it has funny women like Maya Rudolph and Melissa McCarthy. I think my mom will prefer it as well (at least she will when I tell her Jon Hamm is in it). This film has the combined awfulness of Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin - that is just all kinds of unappealing.



2. Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America: The First Avenger – I have had my fill of superhero films thankyouverymuch. I think the biggest problem with these three films is their casting choices - Thor: Chris Hemsworth is not hot (but they do get a bonus for casting Natalie Portman and Jamie Alexander). Green Lantern: Should have been Bradley Cooper. Captain America: Chris Evans is way too stiff in these type of roles (like the Fantastic Four films) - he is better at quirkier roles (like The Losers).



3. Cowboys & Aliens - Seriously guys, that is the title you are going with? I can't even.



4. The Smurfs – Why would NPH and Jayma Mays be a part of something so ridiculous? The Smurfs have not been relevant for a good 25 years....why can't we keep it that way?



5. Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Did we not learn our lesson from the disastrous 2001 remake? I don't understand why this film was necessary to make or why James Franco would be a part of it (although his career choices are usually baffling to me).






6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - Actually, I might go see this just to rejoice in the fact that it is finally OVER!!! I am beyond thrilled. Can Twilight be over now too? or is that asking too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment