Tuesday, August 31, 2010

5 Best Emmy Moments; 3 Worst Emmy Moments

Best Moments:


1. Best Emmy opening ever!!! - Seriously, how could it get any better than seeing Joel Mchale sing and dance? And watching Jon Hamm "back that mother up" into Betty White as she says "I like that..I like that"? One of the funniest things I have ever seen. I watched the opening 3 times and found something about it incredibly funny all 3 times. I think it deserved a standing ovation but whatever. (I also love that they included Nina Dobrev from The Vampire Diaries - at least they gave one nod to an amazing but overlooked series)


2. Aaron Paul won - Holy Shiz!! I did not expect it to actually happen. Aaron's performance on Breaking Bad has been on the top of my list for the past 2 years. He is the only actor on t.v that can finish sentences with "yo" and "bitch" realistically and flawlessly. I was so happy when his name was announced I actually stood out of my chair and started clapping (scaring my cats at the same time). It was definitely the most deserved award of the night.

3. Jimmy Fallon - So, you all know that I am a huge Jimmy Fallon fan - but I was a little nervous for him hosting such a prestigious event (sure he can kill it at less mature award shows, like the VMA's). I think overall he did an amazing job - I admit the twitter intro's bombed, as did some of the guitar/audience play. On his late night show, he does skits like 6B and Late (versions of Glee and Lost) but they are not spoofs, instead they are skits to pay homage to his favorite shows. I am glad he was able to showcase his talent as well as his passion for television.

4. Out with the old - It was definitely a night for 1st time wins (almost all actor/actress categories were dominated by newbies - except "the original real housewife of NJ" Edie Falco and three time consecutive winner, Bryan Cranston). Most were well deserved - even Jim Parsons (I don't watch The Big Bang Theory but he is a favorite among critics that I usually agree with). I am glad Modern Family won and that overrated shows got the boot (30 Rock, Two and a Half Men, CSI and Curb Your Enthusiasm).

5. George Clooney - Sure, showing up in the Modern Family skit was hilarious - but his real shining moment was accepting The Bob Hope Humanitarian Award. 16 years ago, did you ever think you would be watching Dr. Ross receive such an honor? Especially with such grace and self-deprecation?

6. Ricky Gervais - Once again, Ricky is the best presenter of the night. Not only did he bring beer for the audience (at least the first few rows. On a side note, I am glad to see Matthew Perry turn down the beer...). He also gave the best quote of the night - "Mel has been through a lot (long pause) not as much as the Jews".

Worst Moments:

1. "like for serious" - These are the words uttered by winner Claire Danes. Not only did she sound like a complete moron - she actually won an award over Judy Dench. Like for serious - Dame Judy Dench! No, I did not see this miniseries/t.v movie - so it is a bit harsh for me to judge, however ever since Claire ruined Romeo and Juliet for me - I have not been a fan. (on a positive note - I love her as a style icon...)

2. Ty Burrell and Michael C. Hall did not win - I love Eric Stonestreet (I also love that he is a very straight man in "real" life able to play a realistic, flamboyant gay man without being offensive), but hands down Ty is much funnier. I have already stated my love for MCH - so I don't want to be repetitive (I also don't want to take away from Cranstons win), but it is a sad day when MCH is once again on the losing end of an award.

3. Mad Men wins - Have you seen Breaking Bad? Season 3 was impeccable (as expected) - from violent and shocking episodes like One Minute to sublimely quiet episodes like Fly. The series does not have a single flaw. Don't even get me started on season 4 of Dexter (which I am currently watching). The Trinity killer storyline is it's best yet. These shows are brilliant - better than the very good Mad Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment