Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Thoughts on 5 Recently Released DVD's: Part 2

I always try to catch films in the theaters - but sometimes I have to wait for the DVD. Here are my thoughts on the latest films I watched...

1. The Wrestler - Mickey Rourke's performance? Amazing. Marissa Tomei's body at 44? Amazing. The rest of the film? Eh. It was ok. I'm not interested in the subject of wrestling, so I found most of the film a bore. I liked the destroyed relationship between "The Ram" and his daughter, it was very real and heart-breaking but other than that, I can't say I would recommend this film to anyone.

2. Religulous - Bill Maher is the most obnoxious human alive, but I enjoyed this film - mostly because I agree with everything he says. Being an Atheist myself, Maher says everything that I would like to say, in regards to religion. I'm sure most people find it offensive and manipulative but I find religion (all religion) offensive and manipulative- it's about time someone speaks out against organized religion in favor of actual proven scientific fact. I found the documentary entertaining, well-organized and researched, but don't worry - I'm still not a Bill Maher fan.

3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- Oh, what a disappointment! Not only was it 2 hours and 46 minutes, but it was 2 hours and 46 minutes of the most boring and depressing story ever told. Cinamatically and technically speaking, it's a beautiful film but as far as character development and emotional depth I wasn't especially invested in the film. I really didn't care about Benjamin Button, because aside from the fact that he ages backwards, he is not all that interesting. It was similar to Forrest Gump, the way it connects one man with the most historic events of our time, but Forrest was actually interesting as a person, whereas Ben is simply boring. It also gets very awkward thinking about him getting "older" (as in a toddler) and Cate Blanchett's character getting "older" (as in an elderly person) and still being in love with each other. Ew. Also, SPOILER ALERT - Everyone dies. And you pretty much get the feeling everyone is going to die after the first hour. Don't waste your time on this film. Please.

4. Frost/Nixon - I expected this to be a very boring, slow-moving film, but I was pleasantly surprised. The tension between the characters created a suspense that I didn't expect. The acting was beautiful, the writing was sharp and the pace was perfect for such a long film (2 hours and 2 minutes). I have read that historically most of the film is inaccurate, but it probably made for a more interesting film than the truth would have been - so who cares?

5. Nothing But The Truth - I wanted to see this film in the theaters, but it was never released near me. The plot is interesting - it's about a reporter who is imprisoned because she will not release the identity of her source, which is not a crime unless it involves national security. The reporter basically loses everything because she insists on sticking to her morals and her oath as a reporter. I love that the film revolves around 2 powerful women - a reporter and a CIA agent (played by Kate Beckinsale and Vera Farmiga, respectively). The obvious misconceptions and discrimination's against women in power is an underlying theme (and is probably the more interesting theme that they should have focused more on). Unfortunately, I realized quickly who it was she was trying to protect which ruined the ending for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment