Sunday, May 3, 2009

15 Summer Movies I am Psyched to See; 6 That I Have No Interest In

I love summer movies! This year shouldn't disappoint. Here are some movies I can't wait to see...

1. Terminator Salvation - I don't even remember whether or not I saw all of the Terminator films. I vaguely remember Edward Furlong and Linda Hamilton kicking Cyborg ass. I should probably brush up on the films before I see this new one. Either way, this film looks exciting. Christian Bale as John Connor and McG directing - that's got to be awesome, right? May 21

2. Star Trek - I can't wait! I've never seen Star Trek nor do I have any interest in watching any past Star Trek films or shows. But I will watch anything JJ Abrams does. I have never been disappointed by him, so I have a feeling after seeing this film I will have a new found appreciation for all things Star Trek. I'm also excited by the cast - Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, John Cho and Anton Yelchin! It's going to be brilliant. May 8

3. The Brothers Bloom- I have been waiting for this film for what seems like years. Mark Ruffalo and Adrien Brody are con-men brothers joined by Rachel Weiz, a neurotic heiress, for one big heist. The film was supposed to be released last December, but for whatever reason has continuously been delayed until now. It has been called several things from a "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels rip off" to a "wannabe Wes Anderson film", but it's directed by Rian Johnson - the director of the incredibly original film Brick. I am confident Johnson has created another original film with spectacular performances. May 15

4. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen- Transformers was awesome. It was one of my favorite films of 2007. I didn't expect much when seeing it (I mean it is a Michael Bay film!) but I think the extensive action sequences were actually really cool and if you're not into that sort of thing then there is also a great cast to fall back on. Shia is perfect as the dorky but charming Sam Witwicky and Megan Fox is ridiculously hot. I look forward to the sequel because it is guaranteed to be the perfect summer movie. June 24

5. The Proposal- I've already professed my love for Sandra Bullock - so obviously I am excited. She is back to what she does best - the romantic comedy. Will it be a great cinematic achievement? Of course not. But I'm sure I will be entertained. June 19

6. The Hangover- Yay- Bradley Cooper! Another Alias alum. He has had some mild success lately with supporting roles in He's Just Not That Into You, Yes, Man and his memorable role in Wedding Crashers. He was also phenomenal as the douche bag Aidan Stone on Nip/Tuck. I love him and I can't wait for him to be the next movie star! The great thing is that The Hangover actually looks hysterical. The trailer had me in tears. June 5

7. Away We Go - I hate when I see a trailer too many times and it makes me not want to see the film. Someone is really pushing for this film to be a hit because I have seen the trailer at least 3 times in the theaters. The only reason I am still excited about it is because of the cast and Sam Mendes directing. Hopefully they didn't give too much away in the trailer otherwise it will be incredibly boring. June 5

8. Whatever Works - I am now a Woody Allen fan remember? I don't know much about the film other than it has Evan Rachel Wood ,who I enjoy. June 19

9. Year One - I'm not really a Jack Black fan, but I am a huge Michael Cera fan. Of course, with that plot it could turn out to be extremely awful. I mean, it is about cavemen who are expelled into a world unknown - with Jack Black who is usually painfully obnoxious. However, the trailer is funny and the plot seems original - who knows, maybe it can be the breakout comedy of the year? June 19

10. Public Enemies - Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard, Billy Crudup, Channing Tatum and Giovanni Ribisi? Yes, Please. I have to admit though - I'm not really a Michael Mann fan. But, the trailer looks Amazing. Capital A. Johnny Depp as John Dillinger is perfect casting - I'm predicting an Oscar nomination. July 1

11. (500) Days of Summer- My favorite actor ever, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, is finally becoming the star he deserves to be! He has great chemistry with Zooey Deschanel (which can be seen in Manic) so it is only natural for them to be in a romantic comedy together. The plot sort of reminds me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in that it jumps between different points in a relationship. I hope it's as quirky, romantic and heartbreaking as Eternal Sunshine is. July 17

12. Funny People- Again, the trailer situation upsets me. I've seen it 3 or 4 times, and i'm pretty convinced I have seen pretty much the entire film. Hopefully, I am wrong but even if I'm not - I will still laugh at Leslie Mann making fun of Eric Bana's Australian accent. July 17

13. Orphan - As you can probably tell, I tend to gauge my interest in a film by who is in it. So, a horror film with Vera Farmiga and Peter Sarsgaard definitely peaks my interest. It's supposed to be similar to The Omen, hopefully it's just as scary. July 10

14. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra- Yay- another film with JGL! I really hope it doesn't bomb. I'm not quite sure if it will be as successful as Transformers was, but it does have the ability. They have been releasing teaser trailers and giving us "first looks" at each character for almost a year now, but I somehow have a sinking feeling that it might bomb. I'm still excited for it - not only for JGL, but also for Channing Tatum. It's not just because his name is fun to say or that he is nice to look at - he's actually a decent actor (see: A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints). Aug 7

15. Inglourious Basterds- Amazing title, obvious movie star and a director who glorifies blood and violence like no other - the film will be good. No doubt. Aug 21

Some films I will not be seeing in the theater this summer -

1. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - I enjoyed the first 2 X-Men films, the third one was o.k. For some reason seeing a film with just Wolverine doesn't really interest me. I'll wait for the dvd.

2. Angels & Demons - Ugh. The Da Vinci Code was such an awful film, it's one of those films that make me question the entire world's taste in film considering it made over $750 million. I can't fathom the sequel is any better.

3. Land of the Lost - Seriously? The trailer is painful to watch.

4. The Taking of Pelham 123 - It looks pretty predictable and also extremely over-acted. I'm sure it will make tons of money.

5. My Sister's Keeper - I've heard some great things about the book, but the film looks so depressing. I feel like it would be torture to sit through. Plus, I don't see Cameron Diaz in a dramatic role - she should stick to what she is good at.

6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Don't hate me, but I can not stand Harry Potter. I had to sit through one of them - I think it was the second film and I literally thought I was going to die. The acting was offensive, the special effects were cheesy and the plot made absolutely no sense. Obviously, I am in the minority on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment