Wednesday, December 10, 2008

7 shows you must watch so they dont get canceled!

In light of the recent canceling of 3 of my favorite shows on t.v (Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone & Dirty Sexy Money) - these are the shows you SHOULD be watching - so they don't get canceled too!!

1. Gossip Girl - Maybe I'm too old to be enjoying the ridiculousness of this show, but I do! It's produced and written by Josh Schwartz of The O.C fame, so you know it has to be outrageous (and therefore FANTASTIC!). Now it doesn't have the same bitter sarcasm of Seth or the Ryan & Marissa epic love story, but it does have BLAIR. While the rest of the show is mediocre and predictable(of course Lily's secret was having Rufus's baby - who didn't see that coming?), Blair Waldorf is a riot. She is also a surprisingly great role model for young women (in comparison to her peers). She is not "scary thin", nor is she tall or blond - yet her character is completely secure, uncompromisingly honest and smart. She has her own sense of style and doesn't get swayed by other opinions. It's refreshing to say the least. She may be harsh, but she is usually right. "Leggings are not pants!!!" - Brilliant. If the show does get canned - Please let there be a Blair spin-off!!

2. Chuck - Also by Josh Schwartz, yet the geniuses behind programming have these shows up against each other in the lineup (Mondays 8pm). So, if watching GG makes you feel old, then turn the channel to Chuck and you still have the same great writing, just slightly more mature. Chuck is an "everyman" kind of character thrust into the life of the CIA. It's one of those rare shows that has it all - a charismatic hero, humorous supporting cast, family values, lots of action plus a hot girl that can kick your ass.

3. Fringe - Now, so far Fringe has been doing well with the ratings so you probably are already watching it. DON'T STOP! I admit that the show is slightly predictable. It begins with some impossible & unexplainable phenomena, continues with Pacey(Joshua Jackson will always be Pacey) making some obnoxious remarks, followed by the crazy scientist talking about cows, then our heroine Olivia Dunham saves the day. But more important than each individual episode is the recurring theme that hints at some crazy conspiracy behind all of these events. I'm sure you are expecting more from JJ Abrams (like Lost perhaps?), and I have a feeling it is going to get better (like Alias perhaps?). You see, when Alias first aired - every episode had the same elements and each episode (or "mission" if you will) had a clear ending - but then something magical happened and suddenly all the episodes came together into one big story line and it was wonderful. (ok I may be biased - Alias is one of the best shows ever!) I am fully trusting that JJ has something amazing in store for the audience, so don't give up.

4. Kath & Kim - Overall, I am disappointed with the comedies on television (Two and a Half Men makes me want to vomit). It's a shame because there have been so many great comedic films over the past couple of years, yet tv has been suffering. That being said - Kath & Kim is one of the better ones. Having a mother that is more like my sister, helps me relate to the characters more than others might - but I think the show has a heart that everyone can enjoy. Plus it's genuinely trying something new - It's about women (!) who are not smart, dress inappropriately and hang out at the mall. Now that might sound like a step backward in the representation of women in the media - but I know women like this and they are fun to laugh at in real life so why not on tv?

5. 30 Rock - Also one of the better comedies. If only Tina Fey & Alec Baldwin could start the show over with a different cast - the show would be genius. Tracey Morgan is the most obnoxious, unfunny person on television. Ditto for Jane Krakowski. Yet the show is still solid, the writing is quick-witted, and Fey & Baldwin are pure comic gold together. Oh and Kenneth - He's funny too.

6. Heroes - Ok- I have no idea what is going on while watching Heroes - Things that run through my mind while watching - Where are they? What year is it? Does he/she have their powers? Is he/she good or evil? Why isn't he/she dead? WTF is going on? So why do I keep watching? I have watched the show from episode 1, I thought the idea of the show was genius, and I don't give up on something I love very easily. So, I guess I have faith that it will all make sense one day. And if the show gets canceled before it all makes sense - I will be even more frustrated. So everyone needs to keep watching!

7. Breaking Bad - Probably the best show on television - How is it not on Showtime? Please, Please, Please watch this show. I'm not going to tell you why - you just need to experience it for yourself. Catch up with season 1, before season 2 begins airing next year.


Please note - I am not including shows on premium channels - Every show on Showtime is a must - Weeds, Dexter, Californication...all GENIUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment