Thursday, July 23, 2026

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. How to Make a Killing -
This was actually not as bad as I was expecting. It just didn't get good reviews at all - and most calling it really dull. But I was quite entertained by it - and I think Glen Powell does a really good job keeping the story interesting even though you know exactly what's going to happen. But FIRST, the most shocking actor jump scare in history - Rafferty Law (Jude Law's son) is in this and he is 30 FUCKING YEARS OLD. When he appears, I literally SCREAMED "HOLY SHIT IS THAT RAFFERTY?!", because he is a CLONE of Jude - it's almost scary! Apparently, he goes by Raff now and has appeared in a few things (Masters of the Air?? I don't remember him at all in that!). I've just been a fan of Jude Law for soooo long now (since Gattaca - so around the same time Raff was born), so it's crazy that his son is so old now and it makes me feel ancient. Just put me in the grave now, man. I'm very confused by the timeline for this movie though because Powell is supposed to be the youngest of the family (so the last one to inherit the fortune), but he is clearly older than Raff by about a decade (I don't know how old Glen Powell is - don't make me look it up, but I would guess 42?). Anyway, I'll stop talking about Raff now, because he's barely in the movie - but my mind was honestly blown. The plot is kind of similar to last year's No Other Choice, but instead of killing off potential threats to a job, he has to kill off everyone who stands to inherit his family fortune. They make them all kind of assholes, so you don't feel too bad for their deaths - and he's in prison from the start so you assume he doesn't get away with it. There's a great supporting cast (aside from Jessica Henwick - because EWWWW), but most of them are underused. I also like that it takes place in very recognizable places in NJ - I literally drive by that East Orange cemetery that is along the parkway every day on my way to work! But...did that 9 year old kid ride his bike from NJ to NY??? LOL. Overall, it's entertaining and interesting. Solid 3 star movie. 

2. The History of Sound -
I thought this would be better - I like Paul Mescal in quiet independent projects, and I like Josh O'Connor, but this is just SO dull. Like, there is nothing even memorable about it at all. It's like Brokeback Mountain but...not good and even more boring. I do like Mescal here though - his accent is surprisingly good (it's been surprisingly bad more often than not), and he looks so different with the little glasses and side part. He just shines in these softer roles. And I think they both have very nice voices. This just does not need to be 2 hours long - I was hoping it was over and then they just change the timeline and it still goes on for FOREVER. I think the concept of "seeing" music is interesting though - it's like the people who can "see" colors (synesthesia - and, yes, I will always think of Jennifer Lawrence trolling Cynthia Erivo in that one interview "what color is this....AAAAAAHHHHHHHH?" LOL, Lawrence is hilarious). But they never really go anywhere with this concept. I don't have much else to say about this - I will likely forget it exists by the end of the year. 

3. Pillion -
I watched the "unrated" version of this (obvi!), so I'm not sure how different it is than the rated version, but I did like this movie for the way it handles such a sensitive topic (BDSM). It's not really something that interests me, nor is it something I really have any understanding of - but obviously, it is a big part of human sexuality that is often discussed and analyzed due to its popularity (I mean, the 50 Shades of Grey books were popular for a reason). This film focuses on BDSM in a gay relationship, which is a little more interesting because I think the power dynamics between two men is inherently more complicated than a man and woman - but also this kind of proves that the whole wanting to be dominated/dominating dynamic is based more on personality than gender. And I also think this film shows the importance of consent and conversation - because this relationship is an extremely unhealthy BDSM relationship. There is no conversation at all - instead this man takes advantage of a less experienced, naive person. It's exploitative. I think it will help a lot of young men in the same situation - because he clearly enjoys the dynamics of the relationship but yearns for more. And once he fights for himself, and realizes that his needs are important, he's able to find this same dynamic in a healthier relationship. It's a very important message. The cast is great, Alexander Skarsgard is super hot (and delivers one of the best dad jokes of all time - "do you want to hear a pizza joke?" "nah...it's too cheesy". LOL), and it's very funny in parts (the wrestling scene to "I Think We're Alone Now" is gold. That assless wrestling outfit? Hilarious). There's also some very graphic sex scenes (like way more than the 50 Shades movies), so if that is something that bothers you, then this is easy to avoid. 

4. Keeper -
Meh. I think Osgood Perkins is an interesting horror director, but I've never rated any of his films above 3 stars (my Osgood ranking: I am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House > Longlegs > The Monkey > Keeper > >>> Gretel & Hansel. I have not seen The Blackcoat's Daughter, but I just added it to my list because I love Kiernan Shipka!! I was a stand-in for her on a film she did as a child before Mad Men. Yes, I am small enough to be a stand-in for a child! Haha!). I think he has great ideas, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. It's all very dull instead of suspenseful. There is too much focus on giving it this atmospheric horror vibe instead of focusing on the actual horror. I love Tatiana Maslany so much - one Emmy is not enough for her performance in Orphan Black. And she gives everything she's got in this, which is why I rated it 2 stars instead of 1. Also, the boyfriend is a Sutherland! I don't think I've ever seen him in anything but I knew more of Donald's kids were in the business than just Kiefer. There are a lot of plot points that just don't feel realistic at all (like they've been dating almost a YEAR and they haven't discussed kids. That discussion should happen at the very beginning of a relationship. And she hasn't been to his cabin that is obviously close enough to drive to? It seems like they don't know or trust each other at all?!). I figured it would have a supernatural twist and ending, but I was kind of hoping it didn't. It just makes it all so unreachable and unrelatable, when it could have been a stronger story of finding out your partner is a psychopath. I do like the part when the iris in her eyes are different sizes - super creepy, but simple effect. 

5. The Sheep Detectives - *spoilers ahead* 
Ugh another light and fluffy family movie being completely overpraised (it's like the Paddington movies). It's cute! A SOLID 3 star movie - and yet I see a TON of 5 star reviews and so much praise, with some even calling it the best film of the year. I don't understand it at all. I saw the trailer before Project Hail Mary, and it looked like the dumbest shit ever (maybe a cute kids movie, though) and then all of the reviews came in and it's so shocking. It's true - I don't have anything necessarily bad to say about it, but that doesn't mean it's a 5 star movie. There's nothing thought-provoking or creative or technically interesting about it. There is no depth or complexity, and all of these things are what makes a film a masterpiece. But anyway, it's also very predictable - my husband was like "who do you think the killer is?" and I said "probably the son that is mentioned in the will that we haven't seen yet?" (I was both right, and wrong, but only wrong because it's stupid). There are some funny parts (the "it's almost certainly a drifter" made me giggle), and the cast is great (Molly Gordon, Hong Chau, Emma Thompson, but don't go to see this for Hugh - he's barely in it), and the voice cast is excellent (Bryan Cranston, Reginal Hall, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Patrick Stewart, Brett Goldstein...the list goes on). And I see that Nicholas Braun is still getting work with no problem (I'm not a fan of cancelling people, but I wish Hollywood would at least stay consistent). I think if you're a big Agatha Christie mystery type person, or if you have kids, then I would recommend this, but that's it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment