Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Emmy Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good: 

- While I think 23 nominations is a little excessive, I love The Bear and its entire cast. It feels like it's a little late to be rewarding the second season (especially since it's already won Golden Globes for its second season), it was an amazing season of television. The best surprise, though, is Lionel Boyce getting in! Marcus has been my favorite from the beginning! Do I think it's a comedy? Not really. But it's not the first instance of this, and it won't be the last. There also seems to be a LOT of category fraud this year (...). 

- My second favorite television performance of the year (behind Emma Stone) and I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M SAYING THIS because I've definitely criticized her in the past, but Juno Temple is INCREDIBLE in Fargo. I really, really, really hope she wins it - and I've seen 3 out of the other 4 nominated performances and she blows them away. I also think this season might be my favorite season (it's definitely close between this and the first season). 

- I hate The Morning Show, but Nicole Beharie knocks it out of the part every single time. I love her so much, and she truly was the only part worth watching in that dumbass show. 

- Yay for Slow Horses and Jack Lowden!!! I assume this is for the second season? I didn't love the second season, but I don't think it was as good as the first. Happy for Lowden though - he's a terrific young actor who is largely ignored (because everyone obsesses over the same people - now everyone is on a Glen Powell kick and it's driving me insane). 

- Some great comedies nominated this year (usually my most problematic category) - What We Do in the Shadows, Hacks, Abbott Elementary, Only Murders in the Building. It's so hard to choose, which only means one thing: we win! 

The Bad: 

- I enjoyed Palm Royale just fine, but is it award worthy??? HELL NO. It's entertaining at best. Same for Mr. and Mrs. Smith. And Lessons in Chemistry. I wasn't expecting anything for any of these shows, so it's weird they each received multiple nominations. 

- The Morning Show is genuinely a terrible show - it was okay the first season (and I actually liked a lot about it), but it's practically unwatchable now. And Witherspoon and Aniston are probably the worst parts of the show. 

- The aforementioned category fraud. Sorry, but both Hannah Einbinder and Kali Reis are co-leads in their series but submitted themselves in supporting categories. I understand the thought process of not wanting to compete with their bigger named counterparts (Jean Smart & Jodie Foster, respectively), but it shouldn't be allowed. It really bit Einbinder in the ass though - her supporting category has the legendary Carol Burnett and Meryl Streep (good luck, Hannah!). Plus, is Kaitlin Olsen not a series regular on Hacks? That's weird. She's in multiple episodes in both seasons, and has a whole story arc. Also, so weird that she got ZERO nominations for It's Always Sunny - a show that's been consistently hilarious for 19 years, but received a nomination for this??? Make it make sense. 

- Again, SNL is painfully unfunny. They were largely ignored last year, but came back with a vengeance this year (Bowen Yang??? UGH). 

- All those nominations for Feud: Capote vs The Swans. That show was so fucking boring especially considering the talent. But I feel like they nominated the names and didn't actually watch the show. 

- Once again, the nominations feel very repetitive (a few surprises here and there - like Idris Elba, Reservation Dogs, Matt Barry), but I wish they ventured outside the box a little bit more. 

- I think it's hilarious that Masters of the Air was shut out - and I think it's very deserving of zero nominations. It' was so boring, and some of the acting was questionable. It did *look* very good (the scenes that I was awake for, anyway). 

The Snubbed: 

- The biggest snub I've seen in a long time - Emma Stone in The Curse was on another level. I don't even know what category it should have been in (GG had it under Drama - but that's weird), but she should have absolutely been nominated (and probably should have won). 

- Another big snub for me, but a more expected one - The Changeling. I thought it was incredible. And some of those performances have stayed with me. Clark Backo and LaKeith Stanfield were robbed by critics that were too intimidated by a show they didn't completely understand. 

- It's weird to me that something like Mr. and Mrs. Smith is nominated and then another silly pure entertainment type series like The Gentlemen is almost completely ignored (Guy Ritchie did squeeze out a director nod). They are completely different, but The Gentlemen had style, it was written really well, interesting & layered characters, etc., and I think it spoke to a wider audience. I think submitting it to the comedy category was its mistake (it's on the fence, but it should have been in the same category as Mr. and Mrs. Smith - and they went Drama. Once again, I argue that they should get rid of gendered categories and instead add different genre categories - sci fi, action, dramedy, etc). 

- I'm actually surprised at the Expats snub. I didn't love it, but it seems like a show that the Emmys would nominate. I do think that Sarayu Blue definitely gave an award worthy performance (better than all 7 in that category - even though I love Aja Naomi King and both performances from Baby Reindeer). 

No comments:

Post a Comment