Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Blue Beetle -
This is a perfectly fine superhero movie. There's a lot to like about it, but I am definitely part of the "superhero fatigue" club. It's just all too much, too quickly. I had to look up to see if this was even Marvel or DC because I honestly can't even keep track anymore. And you know what? I can't even remember now - I think DC? Anyway, like I said, there's some good stuff here - Xolo Mariduena has great screen presence (and a wonderful smile) and I enjoyed watching him in this role. I would love to see more of him - a CW type show like The Flash would have suited this story better, I think. Most of the rest of the cast is great too - Susan Sarandon is a great villain, the girl that plays his sister is really cute, and the love interest is good too (I'm tired and I don't feel like looking up names, sorry! But I actually thought that this was Chris Evan's girlfriend until I looked it up while watching it. They look similar, no? I could be wrong because I already forgot what she looks like. I do NEED the 3 piece lavender suit that she wears in the beginning. Not joking - I NEED IT!). I think the costume design is pretty cool and I like how grotesque it is for him to turn into the Blue Beetle (it should be gross - he's literally turning into a human/insect hybrid). I like that it embraces Hispanic culture, that they create their own little version of Miami with "Palmera City", and that both English and Spanish is spoken. It's made very well - I love the bright colors, and there is a fight scene that takes place at night THAT I COULD ACTUALLY SEE!!! I also laughed a few times (like when it attaches to his face like an alien face-hugger). But, it's also too long. There was a moment when I thought it was almost over - like maybe 20 minutes left, and I paused it only to find out that there was a whole hour left. It kind of made me lose interest in the story because I knew it was going to be dragged out. It could have been a very clean, concise 90 minute movie. I don't know why filmmakers keep making this same mistake, but it's annoying the fuck out of me more and more. I also think that George Lopez overdoes his role and I usually like him. He just didn't feel like a real person, more of a caricature. Overall, I was entertained, but I don't think it's very memorable. It's just going to get lost in the swarm of superhero films. 

2. Past Lives -
Ok. So. I loved this. BUT. I also think that it's being waaaay overhyped. Like, as far as Oscar talk, I think maybe a screenplay nod, but that's it. I think it's an *excellent* debut film, and I'm very excited for what Celine Song is going to do next, but I think there are definitely better films this year. The performances are strong, but I think Teo Yoo is the CLEAR highlight performance, and yet the more hyped performance is from Greta Lee. I kind of...don't like her (I KNOW. Another lauded actor/actress that I just don't agree with. There are so many of them now). I actually can't stand her on The Morning Show (her, along with her co-star Reese Witherspoon, truly make that show almost unbearable. They both literally look like they are reading off of cue cards. But, man, does Nicole Beharie knock it out of the park this season, and Billy Crudup has been the saving grace since the beginning), but I didn't mind her on Russian Doll. I don't mind her here either, but I don't think she does anything special with this performance, especially when compared to Yoo. John Magaro probably has the hardest role - being a supportive husband who is hurt and jealous, but not angry or controlling is a rarity, especially in film land. I think this is also why I would cite the writing as award-worthy, because it would have been much easier to write this character in a more cliched way and made him unlikable so that the audience roots for the "main" couple. Instead, he comes off as a fucking angel of a man. I think it's extremely relatable for a whole lot of people (just having an ex, in general, that may or may have not been "the one", but also anyone who has been in a long distance or online relationship, or a relationship that ended due to circumstance, etc.) - there is always this feeling of "what could have been", but I am definitely in the same mindset that Greta's character is in, which is, as she says "This is where I ended up. This is where I'm supposed to be". It's definitely my favorite line of dialogue of the year and will resonate with me for a long time, I think. I think it's a very romantic notion, although some will think the opposite. But, there are choices that you have to make in life, and constantly questioning or second-guessing those choices will drive someone crazy. You just have to trust that you're where you are supposed to be. I think that's all I want to say about this movie. I can easily connect it to my own life, but I think my brain is forcing me to disconnect from it (otherwise I will turn into a bawling, heart-broken mess of a person). It's sort of fitting that my husband came home when I was half-way through this, sat down with me, watched the rest of it, and declared that it was "the most boring movie ever". 

3. Nyad -
This is a very typical biopic elevated by some stellar acting performances from both Annette Bening and Jodie Foster. I don't really follow sports, especially swimming, but this story is super interesting and I'm kind of surprised that I had no previous knowledge of it (especially when it shows her on all these talk shows and such). I will never understand the type of person who sets out to do impossible tasks or break records, etc. I LOVE adventure and doing things out of my comfort zone (like I FINALLY went on a volcano helicopter tour and it was awesome and definitely addictive because I want to go on another helicopter ASAP. It was so much fun. I actually looked into how difficult it is to become a helicopter pilot. Something to think about.), but this is INSANE. And doesn't look particularly fun. I love swimming, too. And the ocean. But swimming from Cuba to Florida with no assistance and barely any food, is basically torture. But this crazy fucking woman is determined to do it and be THE FIRST even though she's past the age that most people would even attempt such a feat. It's impressive, for sure, but also very, very dumb. It all plays out exactly how you expect (she eventually completes her mission after failing a few times). I do wish they dove more into her backstory, too, because they kind of gloss over the fact that she was abused by her swim coach. There are these little confusing blips within the story, but it's not fully realized until they talk about his death. And it's kind of interesting that she openly lies and embellishes things and it's just accepted (like her last name). The best part of this film is the focus on the relationship she has with her best friend, who also becomes her coach, played by Foster. First, dear God, I hope I look as naturally beautiful at 61 as Jodie Foster does. She is, BY FAR, the highlight of this film. Bening is getting a lot of push behind her for awards nominations, but Foster should be a lock in the supporting category. Second, it's so rare to see female friendships on screen that aren't tested because of a man coming between them or another friend that makes them jealous. Their relationship is tested at one point in the film, but it's more of realistic approach to their dynamic (one is the giver and one is the taker - which I think is true in a lot of relationships). On a side note, the one thing that this film did do for me is that it motivated me to swim more. I really wish I had a lap pool (ultimate goal of mine - I think I would truly be happy if I could go for a quick swim every morning. We have gyms and the Y with public pools close to my house, but that seems like a hassle. I just want it in my back yard). It's such a healthy exercise, especially for older people and it soothes muscles and joints which I have a lot of problems with. 

4. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One -
I actually liked this more than...any of the other M:I films?!! Could that be possible? I think they are all just *okay*, but I actively enjoyed this one way more than I remember liking any of the other ones. It's still a 3 star movie, but at the very top of the 3 star movies of the year. It's just a lot of fun, and I liked all the twists & turns. There are several action sequences that are incredible and I love the addition of Pom Klementieff (although my husband commented "why is she dressed like a pirate?" and I couldn't stop laughing at her. She did look a bit ridiculous for most of the movie). Vanessa Kirby is also a very big highlight (especially in a particular scene in which she had to basically be a different character). Rebecca Ferguson, also great. I'm not really the biggest Haley Atwell fan, but even she did a good job in this. They all just worked really well together and Atwell has great chemistry with Tom. I do think it's too long (because OF COURSE IT IS EVERY MOVIE IS TOO LONG), and a few scenes, while spectacular, are dragged on a little too much - the ending train sequence is a perfect example. But, it's also so incredible and intense (and also felt like Speed - I was literally waiting for them to say "we have to jump the track". I also got a Speed vibe from the fight on top of the train. I pictured Keanu saying "yeah, but I'm taller" and laughed to myself). I also think, as is the case with every other M:I movie, they explain everything a little too much. They explain everything like 10 times in the beginning as if we're all too stupid to understand such a *complex* plot (that was sarcastic). Even though it is all very obvious and over-done, it does have an interesting story about how AI is going to eventually destroy the world. We should all be terrified. 

5. Rustin -
Just like Nyad, it's a typical (i.e mediocre) biopic, but Colman Domingo's performance make it worth a watch. It just feels more like a made-for-tv biopic, the story is too simple, the dialogue is a little cheesy, and some of the acting....is rough. How Chris Rock got cast in this, is beyond any reasonable thought, and then to put him in that old man makeup - it's just laughable. It felt like an SNL parody or something. He's just not a serious actor (and that's okay! Stick to what you're good at!). The story just...starts, too, without any real information on who Rustin is (as if he's just as popular as MLK or something? But I don't think most people know who he is. And that's also okay! That's the whole point of biopics like this - to tell these stories of people giving their lives so that we have the freedoms we have today. Just make him a fully-fleshed out person, please!!). Also, I don't know who that actor is who is playing Martin Luther King Jr. (too lazy to look it up!), but he is so bland (especially compared to what Domingo is doing). Nobody gets MLK, right though. His presence is impossible to recreate. As I was watching this, I thought to myself that it felt a little bit like Milk, which is one of my favorite biopics of all time, but it's just missing *something*. I had NO IDEA that Dustin Lance Black co-wrote the screenplay so that Milk feeling makes a whole lot of sense now (he also wrote Milk). I just wish it was as good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment