Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. Liaison - This show was sort of a slog to get through, but parts of it are really good. Plus, it's Eva Green and Vincent Cassel! They have great chemistry together. I kept watching it for them alone (it does have a great supporting cast too, of a bunch of people who look familiar but I don't know their names). There's also a scene in episode 4 or maybe 5 in which a plane has gone rogue over the city of London and it's really intense. Other than that, though, the plot is overly complicated, the series doesn't really offer anything new or fresh, and I found my thoughts drifting when Eva isn't on screen. There's somehow too much stuff within these 6 episodes, but any more episodes would feel too long (and I definitely will not be interested in a season 2). It's definitely a disappointment considering it's Apple TV+, because most of their shows have been bangers. I don't really have much else to say about it, which tells you everything you need to know, I guess!

2. That '90s Show - I like That '70s Show a lot, but I was never that invested in it or the characters. But, it's my husband's favorite sitcom so when we first met we would watch it a lot (and I made him watch Friends, which he now loves). He watched two episodes of this, and then said "nope, I'm out". I continued to watch because I think it's cute (and the next generation doesn't bother me as much because I work with teenagers so I'm used to them a bit more than he is). I just really like seeing the older characters back together (minus the one who is on trial for rape...also I try to pretend like Laura Pepron is not a Scientologist because it's so disturbing). Unfortunately, the one on trial for rape played my favorite character - Hyde. His sarcasm was the BEST. But after that I love Kelso and and Jackie (and it's cute that they are married in real life now). I think it's hilarious that in this new series (focused on Eric & Donna's teenager daughter and her friends) they named their daughter Leia Tatooine (I literally spit out my water when he said her name). It's a cute show to just throw on while I'm cleaning or writing. I wish that the kid actors were stronger actors, but I don't think the original cast are very strong actors either so it sort of works. 

3. Swarm - I like this miniseries quite a bit. Some episodes are far better than others, but overall I like what it's trying do - and I really think Donald Glover is a genius. There are definitely elements in this that felt like Atlanta, with the genre jumping and the focus on side plots. There is a very clear indictment of "stan" culture and how dangerous it's become - that is the main theme, with the focus on a pop diva that is very obviously supposed to be Beyonce (and her "Beyhive"; hence the "Swarm"). I think we were fundamentally heading in the wrong direction as soon as we started calling it "stan" (like, we've listened to the song, yes? It's about someone so obsessed with a celebrity that they kill themselves). I get being a super fan of someone, and as a teenager/young adult I definitely was obsessed with *NSYNC and Justin Timberlake. But there is a line that's being crossed now, due mostly to social media and our ability to find out everything about everyone, that is really scary. When I was in college I was really interested in music videos (they were big back in 2002) and I secured internships at multiple record companies, one of which was Jive Records (*NSYNC's record label). This was when Justin Timberlake was releasing his solo album and doing a ton of promotion for it - and I was in the Video Promotion department. At one point my boss handed me a printed calendar and asked me to distribute a physical copy to every department. I looked down at it and it was literally Justin's schedule - where he was staying, his scheduled interviews, his restaurant reservations. I could have easily stalked him. But I'M NOT A CRAZY PERSON, so I didn't. And so many people thought I was the weird one for not stalking someone. This also reminds me that I am a bit obsessed with Taron Egerton now (SHOCKING, I know) and sometimes I'll search twitter for updates on him (like his projects & interviews and such, not his personal life) and there is this one girl who literally stalks him and she posts videos of meeting him (it has to be upwards of 25 times now) and he is always extremely nice to her and knows her name and says hi, gives her a hug etc., and she's, like, proud of this. And in my mind, I think he's probably fucking terrified of her??? Like, she's a crazy person, clearly? Anyway, I've gone off-topic a little. Well, not really, I'm just giving examples of how crazy people are and this is what this show depicts - these crazy fans who will do anything for their idol (I mean, I don't think most people are murderers, but crazy nonetheless). I said this when I saw her in Project Power, but Dominique Fishback is a STAR. She's incredible in this - like, Emmy worthy incredible. There's a lot of other famous people in small roles that got more attention than they deserved, I think, like Billie Eilish (who is...fine...but also in the most boring episode of the series) and Paris Jackson (although inspired casting with the "half black" character arc), but Fishback's performance will go down as among the best of the year. 

4. Up Here - Super-duper cute and sweet with a cherry on top. I love it so much. It's been a while since there has been a good musical tv show (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was sooo good until it wasn't). I absolutely adore Mae Whitman in every project (also, my mom always says that she reminds her of me which I think is weird because she also says that about Drew Barrymore. Like she thinks that I give off Drew Barrymore vibes and I think Whitman has that same presence. But I don't think I have that presence). But I'm really, really surprised by Carlos Valdes because I couldn't stand him on The Flash, but he is SO GOOD in this (and the haircut suits him so much better). I think he was just miscast on The Flash because I'm pretty sure we were supposed to like his character but I found him so annoying and obnoxious. But this is such a different role for him and he nails it! I like that it takes place in NYC in 1999 (which is a very different place than NYC post 2001) because it reminds me of my early college years (I went to college in Westchester NY, which is right outside NYC, from 1999 through 2003). The see-through phone really got me (and, remember talking on the phone??? What a concept.). I really like the musical numbers - they both have such surprisingly strong voices and they sound great together. I think the "So Many Ways" musical number is my favorite so far (those lyrics!). I'm surprised that the musical theater people aren't screaming about this from the rooftops??? Or are they still all obsessed with Hamilton (*groans*)? 

5. Shrinking - I was hesitant about watching this because I'm just so tired of Harrison Ford's grumpy curmudgeon act that he's been doing for 30+ years, but the great reviews reeled me in. And I'm glad they did, because I'm really enjoying this. I've only watched the first two episodes, but it feels sort of like an American version of After Life (the Ricky Gervais Netflix show - it's amazing). I don't have very much to say about it just yet (because, again, I've only watched two episodeds), but so far it is very funny. I love every character - especially Gaby, portrayed by Jessica Williams. She is so fucking funny and I love her gigantic water bottle (and Ford's deadpan response "that's too much water"). I've liked Jason Segel in a few things, but he's really strong here and he does a fantastic Harrison Ford impression. Also, I don't think I've ever actually seen Michael Urie in anything before and he is also hilarious (his "I think you're very rude and I deserve better" scene is really poignant too. Never allow people to treat you like shit, even if they are going through their own shit). Anyway, I like that this feels very much in the real world - I think (hope?) it's widely known that therapists are the fucking craziest people out there (it was always a joke in my college - like the people studying psychology and human behavior are just trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with themselves), and this doesn't shy away from that. His solutions aren't exactly ethical, but if they actually work and help people then....maybe it's the right way to go? Although it feels like he's going more towards a Life Coach career (which I know seems ridiculous, but I would be a terrific Life Coach). I'm excited to watch more of this, and it feels like it might be an easy show to binge, but I'm going to try and savor it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment