Thursday, December 15, 2022

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. Interview with the Vampire - I was definitely not expecting this to be as good as it is. I'm not even the biggest fan of the movie (and I've never read the novel! Must correct that soon, I think). But I do like vampire tales, and this one is a classic. But, it's really, really good. First, the two main actors, Jacob Anderson and Sam Reid, have insane chemistry together (and Jacob is HOT!). I was not expecting it to be so explicitly sexual and violent for an AMC show, but it definitely never shies away from either (I guess The Walking Dead was pretty violent, but I can't remember a single sex scene in it? Was there ever? I know people had babies on it, so there must have been sex?). It's also genuinely funny, which I wasn't expecting (when they talk to each other through the coffins LOL). I've also become a little obsessed with New Orleans recently (I've been there about 14 years ago, but I went there again this summer and there was something about this time that really made me fall in love with the history there. I'm also in the middle of watching Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke, which is devastating), and there are a lot of gothic myths and vampire legends that is just so deeply embedded in the culture. I also think the tv series adds another layer with how it handles racism in the south during the early 1900s (on a side note, when I mentioned how good this show is on twitter, a weird person responded that it's "racist". I ignored it, but it definitely baffles me that people think something depicting racism - that most definitely existed in the early 20th century and still exists - is automatically the thing that it is depicting. It's not racist to show racism, just like it's not misogynistic to show misogyny). Anyway, so far, I am loving it. It's something that I actually look forward to watching. 

2. A Friend of the Family - This story is straight-up insane. But I love that it starts with an introduction from the real victim of the story, setting up the fact that, yes, it is insane, but not everything is black and white, and times were very different back then. It's a little weird, but I think it instantly makes the audience empathetic to this family instead of judging them (at least, that's the effect that it had on me). I really started this for the cast, but the story is definitely intriguing. While I'm not the biggest Anna Paquin fan, I do love Jake Lacy, Colin Hanks, McKenna Grace and Lio Tipton (for once I wasn't being lazy and looked up how to spell their name only to realize that they've changed their name and came out as non-binary last year. Good thing because I would have repeatedly used the wrong gender without even realizing it. Please know that if I do ever do this it's not out of disrespect but out of pure laziness. I am not a professional. I assume that I spell actor names incorrectly at least once per post because of my laziness). I've loved Lio since America's Next Top Model (they should have won!) and I even watched that terrible show they were in, Manhattan Love Story. Anyway, the cast is great, and all feel authentically part of this time period. I am super fascinated at how he got away with kidnapping this girl - and legitimately made it believable for this little girl to fall for his story about aliens abducting them, etc. But it's even crazier that he does IT AGAIN?! I'm so intrigued! I haven't gotten to that part of the story, but it's so batshit crazy! And it's TRUE! 

3. Shantaram - Ughhhh this is very disappointing for two major reasons: One, I really love Charlie Hunnam, but his Australian accent is really hard to listen to. It's not necessarily bad, but it just doesn't fit him at all. And Two, Apple TV+ has been so on point with their television programming, I instantly had higher expectations than if this were on, say, Amazon Prime or Netflix. The show isn't that bad, but it's incredibly boring. And also somehow way too complicated. I can't even really tell what it's about? Or if it's actually about anything? Maybe I'm reading into it too much and it's just very surface level about an escaped convict getting into some more trouble in India. But it's just not interesting enough to be this complicated - too many characters are introduced and I'm too confused to figure out who is important. I think I'm 4 episodes in, but I don't really have any interest in watching more. But I will. Eventually. 

4. The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - I watched The Lord of the Rings movies a total of once and it was when they were first released (so approx 20 years ago) and I do remember really liking them, and even rooting for them during the Oscars (also I was pretty obsessed with Orlando Bloom back then). But I have to admit, I don't remember a single thing about them. I've also never read the books (but it always reminds me of the Friends scene when Ross is baffled that Joey doesn't know who Gandalf is and he asks "didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school?", "no, I had sex in high school". Never fails to make me laugh). I was nervous watching this that I would have no idea what was going on, but it's fairly easy to follow. I think hardcore fans will obviously get a lot more out of it than I did, but overall, I did like it. It's beautifully made, and *looks* expensive (and it's super weird that certain critics claim that it looks terrible). The biggest draw for me was Morfydd Clark because she is stunning in Saint Maud. She is fantastic here - tons of screen presence, raw emotion and she showcases a quiet sort of strength that is necessary for this lead role. BUT, the actual highlight for me is Nazanin Boniadi!!! I freaking LOVE her (I was a big General Hospital fan - watched it for a solid 15 years, but stopped about 5 years ago. She played Leyla for a few years and was one of my favorite characters)!! I hope this makes her a star. I was so happy when she appeared, I actually waved my hands in the air and started screaming. It's dumb, but there are so many popular actors who get randomly shoved into the spotlight and they can't even act, so it's always nice to see someone shine who actually belongs there. Anyway, I watched the whole thing pretty quickly - it's easy to binge which I wasn't expecting, but it's also a little boring in parts so I found myself drifting and doing house errands as it was on. 

5. Wednesday - This is a super cute show. I'm obsessed with Jenna Ortega. OBSESSED. And I would like to point out that I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon (she's definitely a hot name right now with several popular projects in 2022), and that I noted how great she was during the second season of You. And even in that dumb movie Yes Day. She is undoubtedly a star - the camera loves her. The absolute perfect casting is her in this role of Wednesday Adams. She feels like she owns this character even though others have excelled before her (I never thought anyone would out Wednesday Christina Ricci, but here we are). Plus, anyone who can make dark hair and pale skin popular again is a win in my book (I have dark hair and pale skin...). And speaking of Ricci, I love that she is in this show as a different character. It's weird because she was a big name when I was growing up, but I never really liked her, but NOW, I adore her. I really, really, really don't like Catherine Zeta-Jones though (I do like her voice. And I loved her in Chicago. And regularly listen to her songs from the Chicago soundtrack. I just don't think she's a good actress in anything else). I understand the casting, but she's just so blah. But the show is really fun and cute, has a little mystery and self-awareness. It's like Riverdale, but has a plot that makes sense (at least so far...). 

No comments:

Post a Comment