Tuesday, September 13, 2022

4 Thoughts on The Emmys

1. The Host - Over the past few years, there have been some truly terrible Emmy hosts (Cedric the Entertainer, Scarjo's husband, etc.), and this year isn't really any different. Although, I don't mind Kenan - I just don't think he's been funny since his days on Nickelodeon (I've tried watching some of his sketches on SNL and they are real cringe). I don't think many comedian/hosts know where the line is between being non-offensive and completely boring. Personally, I prefer when the hosts have a little bite to them - and take bigger risks with their jokes. This just all fell flat because Kenan played it very safe (I mean, his harshest joke was about Leo DiCaprio - a joke that's been made over and over again, and mostly done better by people on Twitter). I don't want to watch him dance to tv theme songs?? Who does??? Did people actually enjoy that? I think the only thing I liked is the reunion with Kel (I screamed!). I don't even remember him doing any other sketches or anything??? He was just blah. 

2. The Show - Overall, I think the show was very boring. Almost nothing exciting happened. The presenters stayed on track, the winners yelled out their thank yous while being played off by the music, and the announcer had way too much screen time (I think we saw her more than the host??). I feel like if you, like me, don't think SNL is funny anymore, then you will definitely be really bored by this - the announcer, Sam Jay (a writer for SNL) was so unfunny, and her voice was so jolting. It's like she knew people were falling asleep (she also mispronounced Taron Egerton's name - so she's automatically on my shit-list. It's like your one job as announcer - look up name pronunciations). The stage was also set up very oddly with some of the audience behind it so they had to look at the back of the presenters and winners all night. So awkward! A tie between the worst moment is definitely the Kia commercial in the middle of the show and the appearance of Pete Davidson (I always forget that he's supposed to be funny...). The highlight was Sheryl Lee Ralph's glorious rendition of "Endangered Species", followed by a wonderful, moving speech. There were a few funny presenters - Mindy Kaling (who looked stunning!) and B.J. Novak made me laugh with their bit about how writers are lazy now, writing only 8 episodes when they had to do 22. The Only Murders trio absolutely killed it - someone needs to get the three of them to host something (I know people were really rooting for them hosting the Oscars this year but they couldn't due to timing, but maybe next year????). And OF COURSE, I loved Taron and Paul Walter Hauser's little bit about British accents (I was honestly so worried for Taron presenting because he failed spectacularly in his last presenting venture. Don't YouTube it - it's so embarrassing.). Also, Geena Davis is an ICON. Okay, now that I'm listing it out, there were actually more highlights than I thought - but I still stand by the overall show being a complete snoozefest. 

3. The Winners - The only win I cared about was Amanda Seyfried for The Dropout. It's the only performance from this past year in television that I think about regularly (along with the performances in Black Bird, which will be eligible for next year and THEY BETTER SWEEP). It was a tough category (and Emmy voters really love Julia Garner - so I was nervous she would get a double win and I would have to start breaking stuff), so I'm glad she pulled it out. Everyone else was a bit...expected. Not necessarily a bad thing - Ted Lasso is one of the best comedies on television, Succession is a great show (not my favorite, but I get the love for it), Squid Game is fantastic, Jean Smart is a legend. I knew Abbott Elementary would get some love (I haven't watched it yet, but it's on the list!). Sheryl Lee Ralph has been acting since the 70s, so it was so joyful to see her have this moment. But there are a lot of those wins that I can't get behind. As I've said - Emmy voters love Julia Garner; I knew they would honor her performance for the final season, but literally every other nominee gave a better performance (but Rhea Seehorn should have had that in the bag!). I would say that all the awards for The White Lotus is surprising, but with ALL of those nominations, it was clearly an Emmy favorite. I definitely don't agree with any of those wins. Jennifer Coolidge is HILARIOUS and I adore her, but she is the same character in everything (and from what I can tell it's just a heightened version of her own personality. How is that an award-winning performance??). The show is a perfectly trashy, addictive drama, but I don't think there is anything particularly interesting about the writing or the directing (although Mike White is a super-weirdo nerd and I love it!). And now that I've finally watched Euphoria, I have to laugh at Zendaya getting all these awards. I haven't liked a performance of hers yet (she has some good moments in Malcolm & Marie), but I honestly thought Euphoria would change everything. It doesn't. She's awful - she just squints her eyes a lot to show emotions (the Reese Witherspoon school of acting). She seems like such a sweetheart, though, so I'm not exactly mad at her winning. I just really wish there were some surprise wins - they nominated some spectacular stuff that ended up winning nothing - Severance, Better Call Saul, Barry, Yellowjackets, The Great, What We Do in the Shadows. Next time, spread the love Emmy voters!!

4. The Fashion - My favorite part!! I love a good Emmy gown and some of these stars truly shined. I have a few favorites - Kerry Washington - the flowers, the volume - love it all (although it was a little wedding-y, I still adored it), Jung Ho-yeon's dress was STUNNING, and Alexandra Daddario looked spectacular (although, inappropriate. I appreciate a sheer dress, but her tits were just fully on display when The White Lotus won. I'm not complaining, but just not appropriate for this event. She might not have realized how sheer it was, either. Under different lights you couldn't see through it). Actually my favorite look was MJ Delaney, which is surprising to have a writer on this list - but the color and volume of that dress was a refreshing statement look. She looked gorgeous. I also liked all the men who wore white suits (Nicholas Braun, Andrew Garfield, Seth Rogen). I sort of liked Julia Garner's dress - it's at least interesting, compared to the see of sparkly fitted gowns. I also liked Sarah Paulson's two-piece ensemble, but the accessories were horrendous (that belt and that choker...together? Just no). My worst look is probably Juliette Lewis - the dress isn't that bad, but with those gloves? Eeek. 


No comments:

Post a Comment