Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Emmy Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good

- Some great nominations in the Drama category (which I usually agree with the Emmys on, it's the Comedy category that's always a mess). The Crown, Lovecraft Country, The Boys - all wonderful

- I am happily surprised for Jurnee Smollett - I thought she would be ignored, but she's mesmerizing in Lovecraft Country 

- I've just reluctantly started Ted Lasso due to everyone banging on about it. I'm only two episodes in, and...I am LOVING it. And, I've never been a fan of Jason Sudeikis (like ever, he's so boring), but he's won me over. He found something that fits him perfectly - and that's coming from someone who has consistently criticized him for the last decade. 

- Allison Janney vs Jean Smart??? I refuse to choose! But I would go with Janney, only because it's the final season of Mom and she's been consistently hilarious and heartbreaking in equal measure for that entire series 

- The supporting performances for Mare of Easttown are among my favorites of the year - Evan Peters, Julianne Nicholson, and Jean Smart are all just perfect

The Bad

- Emily in Paris? For real? A consistently critically panned show? The Golden Globes noms are one thing, but this is...bizarre

- I like The Mandalorian but 24 nominations seem very generous. Especially the acting nominations.

- I know I am completely alone, but Emma Corrin's Princess Diana is one of the worst portrayals of the icon that I've ever seen. I hate it so much, and I can't believe how much everyone else praises it. Just truly baffling 

- I usually LOVE Uzo Aduba, but I'm about 7 episodes into the new In Treatment and I'm not loving it and I think it's mostly because I don't love her performance and the series hinges on it. There's something really disingenuous and false about it, but I can't quite put my finger on why yet. 

- Hamilton is NOT a "Limited Series", nor is it a "Movie" - so all of those nominations can FUCK OFF

- The continued love for SNL is wild

The Snubbed

- First and foremost, everyone is sleeping on the best series right now, For All Mankind - a true masterpiece of a show, with some terrific acting performances 

- While I'm shocked that Ewan snuck in a nomination for his mediocre performance in Halston, the actual performance that is award-worthy on that series is Krysta Rodriguez - her Liza is stunning and unforgettable 

- I'm surprised by the lack of love for Small Axe, even though the episode I adored the most has been widely ignored anyway (Lovers Rock)

- Nicole Kidman for The Undoing - I assumed she would be Anya's biggest competition until I saw everyone's adoration for Kate Winslet as Mare (I think Winslet might win, too, which sucks because Anya's performance was way more consistent)

- Nothing for Lupin? Is it not eligible? I'm too lazy to look into it, but I'm guessing it's because it's considered "foreign"? 

- I would have loved to see more attention given to the last season of Shameless - other than William H Macy, the show was consistently ignored. And there was some serious talent there. 

- WAIT...If Sylvie's Love and Uncle Frank are considered TV Movies, then where the fuck are the acting nominations? Paul Bettany should be up against himself. Also, I'm so confused as to what constitutes a TV Movie? 


No comments:

Post a Comment