Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things - I was really in the mood for something cute and light, and this hit the spot just right. I really like both main actors - Kathryn Newton and Kyle Allen (from The Path, which is an interesting show with an excellent cast). It's another time-loop tale, which seems really popular right now for obvious reasons. It's clearly made for a YA audience, but I think there is a nice amount of depth and details to keep it accessible to everyone. Also, the whole map idea is super cute and kind of inspiring - they basically set out to find all the "perfect things" that happen throughout the day that they are stuck in. It's a sweet reminder to find try to find the good in everything and enjoy every moment. *spoilers ahead* There's also some deeper moments, though, with her not wanting to "escape" the time-loop since her mother is dying - so essentially staying in the time-loop keeps her mother alive, and him having the opposite feelings because the day that he is stuck in, his mom is missing from, therefore he never gets to see her. It's an interesting aspect of the whole time-loop plot that I don't think is ever really addressed. It's obviously cheesy and a little immature, but overall I liked it. 

2. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm - I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of this character - I find him more annoying than anything, but the first movie had some funny moments (I don't actually remember anything from it, but I do remember having fun watching it). A sequel is completely unnecessary, but I don't think we'll ever learn how to just let stuff go. There are two things that I saw consistently talked about when others referenced this movie - first, obviously, the Rudy Giuliani scene. I don't really understand why it got so hyped up - you can tell that it is deeply edited. However, how the fuck did Giuliani and his team fall for this? It's so fucking scary how dumb our politicians are. And that these are people that some Americans actually trust. Second, people really talked up the woman who plays Borat's daughter, Maria Bakalova, so much so, that she is nominated for a fucking Oscar for this ludicrous performance. I'm a big fan of comedy getting recognized for Oscars, but this performance isn't special in any way. And in no world does this woman look 15 years old, so I don't believe that anyone bought into any of these shenanigans. I'm convinced at least 75% of it is fake. Anyway, there are two things that should have been talked about more - and that is, first, Judy - a woman who decided to combat hate with love, whether she knew she was being pranked or not, her response is to be kind in a deeply unkind world and I love her so much. And second, the Tom Hanks moment is the funniest part of the whole movie. Otherwise, this movie is completely forgettable. 

3. Boss Level - You guys....it's ANOTHER time-loop movie! Fucking Hell. I had never heard of this movie, but it has Naomi Watts and Frank Grillo it it and it's directed by Joe Carnahan so that seemed like something I would like. It's not, unfortunately. It's not exactly bad, but it's just not as fun as it should be. I like the videogame vibe, and the concept is good - he actually dies at the end of the day, and then starts the same day again, trying to avoid a barrage of assassination attempts. Plus, there is actually some humor which is unexpected - I don't know why, but watching Grillo attempt some comedy is surprisingly great. It just becomes repetitive (obviously) and unnecessarily complicated (I completely lost the plot about 1/2 way in). And it also has Mel Gibson saying the line "let's not make this about race...it's a sword", which I think is supposed to be ironically funny but it is not. Plus, Naomi Watts isn't in it as much I was expecting for an A-list actress and her part could have easily been played by literally anyone, which is just a waste of her talent. 

4. Yes Day - And speaking of wasting talent...what the fuck is Jennifer Garner doing? I don't understand her career choices AT ALL. After Alias, I remember reading an interview with her saying that she has no interest in doing anything in the action genre, which I understood - Alias was a grueling shoot and it lasted for years. I bet she was exhausted after all that. She started taking bit parts and wife roles, which was frustrating, but whatever. Then she knocked it out of the park in 13 Going on 30 - seriously, one of my favorite romantic comedies of all time - and she is just superbly sweet in it. But then she went back to bit parts and wife roles. And then, out of nowhere, did an action film. And after all that waiting, the action film she decided on was one of the most mediocre movies I've ever seen (Peppermint). It's just so disappointing, but I continue to support her. I think she should be doing stronger projects, but I'll just have to settle for whatever makes her happy. This movie is cute. It looks like it was probably a lot of fun to shoot, and they all have really great chemistry as a family unit. I laughed really hard at one part (the father and youngest daughter singing along to that Saints Row song. I died.), but most of it is just...cute. The concept is ridiculous - the parents let their kids have a day where they can ask to do anything and the parents have to say "yes". Sounds like some fucking spoiled, rotten, wealthy, entitled garbage to me, but, again, whatever. It's also wildly unrealistic that they do all of these things in the span of like 16 hours - Magic Mountain is a whole day long process with the long-ass lines, etc. I really like the girl that plays the older daughter, Jenna Ortega; she plays Ellie on the second season of You, and is, by far, the best part of the series. She definitely has "it". 

5. A Rainy Day in New York - How did a Woody Allen film with a cast of Timothee Chamalet (I'm too exhausted to look up how to spell his name...I feel like that's close enough?), Elle Fanning, and Selena Gomez get released so quietly? And I don't understand why everyone went so hard after Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet and Scarlett Johannson for working with Allen, but these three extremely popular actors from a younger (and supposedly more woke) generation are getting a pass? Where's the outrage? Anyway...Woody Allen has done some incredible movies but he's also had some really bad ones - and this is really, really bad. It's completely miscast - some actors excel with Allen's dialogue, but Chamalet (?) and Fanning struggle (and I'm a HUGE fan of Elle Fanning so I'm going to pretend this whole movie didn't happen). I *think* Chamalet (?) is trying to do a Woody Allen impression - and seem like quirky and neurotic, and it is really quite...something to watch. The love story doesn't really work either - I certainly don't root for them to stay together; nor do I root for him to end up with his ex-girlfriend's...sister? Like, what the fuck? It's also incredibly disappointing for a director who is practically synonymous with NYC to make a film about NYC feel so inauthentic. The whole thing is just a mess, and definitely among Allen's worst films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment