Sunday, September 6, 2020

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

 1. Little Fires Everywhere - I was not expecting to like this because for some reason, it reminded me of Big Little Lies (a show that I don't really care for). But, I found this miniseries very intriguing. There's a lot to criticize - the overly convenient plot, the awful casting of the younger versions of the main characters, the fact that *spoiler alert* the main character isn't actually poor (how very insulting). BUT, I think overall, it has a lot of great ideas - specifically, it shows the "grey" of white liberals/feminists trying to do the right thing, but having no clue what the right thing is. It's very explicit in its critique of white privilege, entitlement, and ignorance. The daily micro-aggressions are so in your face, but I think that's necessary right now. It's amazing to me how oblivious so many people are to their own racist and ignorant thoughts. There is a really great scene with Kerry Washington and one of Reese's daughters (sorry, I'm too lazy to look up what their character names are) in which she tries to explain the complexities of racism that will be burned into my memory forever. I think they did a great job of setting it in the 90s, but also still maintaining a certain amount of modernity and relevance to today. The music is phenomenal (I listen to the cover of "Sex and Candy" on repeat). Kerry Washington is phenomenal (as per usual). I'm not the biggest fan of Reese Witherspoon, but she has this entitled white woman down to a tee. I'm furious that Pacey is in this with teenage children because that, once again, reminds me that I'm old and I'm now attracted to guys with grown-ass children. It's really distressing.

2. Mrs. America - I enjoyed this very much, but my first thought after the first episode was "I bet Gloria Steinem hates this" and sure enough, she does (look it up - she destroys the series). I don't really agree with her (on this) because I've witnessed feminists disparaging other women (conservatives, stay-at-home mothers, etc.) firsthand, and I think it's an important part of feminist history. Her argument is that it's hurting feminism to show the clash between feminists and conservative women as cat-fights, but then she also argues that Phyllis Schalfly was inconsequential to them, because she was just a cover for the anti-feminist movement led by men (basically stating that her actions never hurt them. Which isn't true? And also really passive-aggressive). I adore Steinem with all my heart (seriously, I saw her speak live at an anniversary for Ms. Magazine - I think it was the 35th anniversary? It was thrown by the Feminist Majority Foundation and it was a highlight of my life), but she's not perfect. And I don't think she watched the whole series (I think she states she was given a few episodes as previews) because this is addressed with Schalfly - it shows her internal struggles with feminism and conservatism. It also very clearly states the irony of her fighting against the ERA, when she is in fact, not a stay-at-home mom. She's a lobbyist. And when they take down her supporters with the "Congrats! You're a working girl" scene, I almost died of pure joy. I absolutely do still think women are holding other women back. Steinem's argument is that this is a naive way of thinking, and that it is a gaslighting effect - it's really men holding back women's rights, but we just blame women. But when I look at reality - I see a lot of women being unsupportive. Even right now, with everything going on with Covid. At my work, we have so many working moms who weren't able to work because they didn't have childcare (and are now home schooling) - the responses from some of my female co-workers was downright disgusting ("that's their problem, they chose to have kids" is the basic attitude, instead of having any empathy. If I tried to accommodate a mom with scheduling, I was told it "wasn't fair"). I'm sorry, but feminism is taking a wrong turn if it isn't including moms (both working and stay-at-home). Anyway, enough about my thoughts on feminism and more about the series! The cast is a work of art. Cate Blanchett is outstanding - clearly set up as a villain, yet we see her perspective and life more than the rest of the women. That Emmy is hers for the taking. However, I think Rose Byrne (as Ms. Steinem) is really inspired casting - I'm a HUGE fan of Byrne, but I never would have thought of her for this role. She's so good, and seems to be largely overshadowed by the rest of the cast, which is a shame. The supporting cast includes Uzo Aduba, Tracey Ullman, Margot Martindale, Sarah Paulson (and many, many more). There are some really amazing scenes - the one previously mentioned about being a "working girl" is probably my favorite scene in television this whole year. I also loved the scene where Brenda (played by Ari Graynor - almost unrecognizable) tells her husband (Adam Brody!) that she cheated on him with a woman. The way he brushes it off and is not threatened by it is fascinating, and so subtle in its sexism. Overall, I liked the series a lot - and I even binged it, which is rare for me to do. Sorry, Gloria. 

3. The Great - Honestly, I'm sorry for liking this show too. It's fucking ridiculous, but, oh, SO GOOD. It's super trashy, hilarious, and "occasionally true" as the opening credits states. First, I am in awe of Elle Fanning. She plays this role with a certain youth and naivete, while also still being really powerful and intelligent. If the show, itself, received better reviews, I think she would have gotten more awards talk. Also, Nicholas Hoult is really hilarious as Peter. They have great chemistry (of not having any chemistry) and make the show a joy to watch. Hoult delivers some of the really ridiculous lines with such ease, that it somehow makes them not so ridiculous. It's really fascinating and watchable (I binged this one too! I think I watched it all in 2 days). Some of the lines cut through to the heart too (when she states that God mad her for "greatness" and he instantly responds with ease "then why did he make you a woman?" is just so perfectly done). I like that they play with the truth and that it's a show that is "genre-bending" - it feels modern with the dialogue and diverse cast. I'm really excited for season 2 (but I kind of hope that's it, I'm ready to see her fuck shit up and take over - I don't need it to be dragged out). 

4. Making the Cut - I'm so disappointed with this. I have been watching Project Runway since the very beginning (I think it's been 16 years!). And I love every single season. It's probably the only reality program that I've consistently watched (I'm not really a fan of reality tv, but I have been guilty of watching any modeling reality show - ANTM, specifically, and A Simple Life because Nicole Richie is hilarious). I kept watching the show even after Heidi and Tim left, and I thought I would miss them more - but honestly Karlie Kloss and Christian Siriano have brought some much needed life and youth to the series. I was excited for this new series though because I do love both Heidi and Tim and I wanted to see their new venture, but unfortunately this show is a gigantic snoozefest. It took everything away from what made PR great - and that is the actual CHALLENGE. I don't even understand the point of each episode - they just create two looks each time (a runway and a wearable look - I had a very difficult time distinguishing the two with almost EVERY SINGLE LOOK). I also don't like the way they judge - they basically talk shit to the designer and degrade them, if the designer "convinces" them that they are great, then they are "making the cut". And the judges can change their mind in the moment, which is dumb - it makes it about their personality and their likability instead of their talent (which I guess I understand bc they are creating a brand, but honestly the names behind famous brands are usually not likable people - just watch PR - Nina Garcia and Michael Kors are terrifying people but they are talented). It's all very boring - and I don't even remember who won. I'll stick with Project Runway, thanks. 

5. Lovecraft Country - I've only watched the first two episodes so far, but HOLY SHIT. It's not what I was expecting. I didn't really know what it was about - I just saw massive positive reviews on twitter, and elsewhere (except EW, which gave it a C+. HUH? Are we watching the same show? The production value and acting alone make it a solid B, at the very least). Someone compared it to Green Book but better, so I was kind of expecting that. I was not expecting a Horror/Sci-fi series - so the last 20 minutes of the first episode really caught me off guard. And I am absolutely here for it. Those 20 minutes are incredible. The build-up, the tension, the release - it's just perfect. I love the beginning of the second episode, too. Things are back to "normal", but the creepiness is in every second of it. Leti's complete comfortableness with being wealthy is really perfect, too. I've seen a lot of much deserved love for Jurnee Smollett (she's been doing great work since Cosby!). Also, it's really beautiful - some really stunning shots, and Leti's wardrobe is so cool and retro, but not overdone. I just love everything about it so far, and I'm looking forward to more episodes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment