Tuesday, September 22, 2020

4 Thoughts on The Emmys

 1. The Host - UGH Jimmy Kimmel...just UGH. Do people actually think he's funny? He's so dull. But, I guess with everything going on, it's the best choice to just play it as safe as possible. And Jimmy Kimmel is definitely safe (UGH). I did appreciate that he acknowledges that the Emmys are meaningless, but it's also some harmless entertainment and sometimes that's needed. I only laughed once through his whole hosting gig - when he was introducing the reality award and he said "past losers in this category have gone on to being...president of the united states!" (also a sore reminder that I totally used to watch The Apprentice and I LOVED IT. I never liked Trump, but I did love Ivanka - not anymore, obvi). Anyway, hosting this year was undoubtedly a difficult task, and Jimmy Kimmel did a very boring but satisfying job. 

2. The Winners & Losers - I don't have many complaints. Schitt's Creek sweeping was definitely unexpected - I was really hoping for a win for Dan Levy (either writing or acting would have sufficed) because, as wonderful as everyone is on that show, Dan is the heart and he deserved some recognition for creating such a lovely, heartwarming, and hilarious show. It's really such a terrific ending for such a little show - that practically nobody heard about until season 3. But winning the first SEVEN awards of the night, seemed a little bit like overkill - and absolutely ridiculous (not to mention that the final season wasn't even close to the best season!). Succession is on my list (might start it next week), but I'm already a big fan of Jeremy Strong so I'm happy for his win. Watchmen deserved all the recognition - especially Regina King (I wish Jean Smart won too, though). I want to like Zendaya (she's adorable), but I have not liked her in anything I've seen her in so far (the Spider-Man movies and The Greatest Showman). Euphoria is on my list, and I've heard that she's incredible so I'll reserve my judgement (although I'm 99.9% sure she's not better than Olivia Colman, because no-one is). However, she might want to learn how to speak in public? The "UMM"s drove me insane. I get that people get nervous at these things, and she's young, but it just makes her sound so dumb. It wasn't just her - Julia Garner did it too - "UMMMM" *brain explodes*. And y'all know how I feel about Julia. Probably the only winner that I absolutely don't agree with (and I never will). Also, I missed the fact that people from Hollywood were nominated this year?! What in the actual fuck? Out of all the amazing television out right now, that show deserves...nothing. 

3. The Show - Absolutely not necessary for this to be any longer than two hours. In "not normal" times, let's speed things up a little and cut out all the bullshit. I'm glad they didn't keep the fake audience through the whole thing because that was dumb. There are some really great moments that happened though - I still can not stop laughing at Ramy's tweet with the guy in the hazmat suit holding the Emmy, waving goodbye to him because he lost. It will remain one of my favorite Emmy moments of all time. It's also always lovely to have a mini-Friends reunion - "we've lived together since 1994!" LOL (I'm quite upset about Jen Aniston's botox face though. She's so stunning; why do women do that to themselves? To each their own and all that, but it's just something I will never understand). Overall, the show was entertaining, but did we really need to be reminded about how much money Tyler Perry has? It's great that he gives so much to charity, and such, but he's still a billionaire...so still not enough, dude (I was actually curious so I looked it up and, yup, his net worth is 1B). And, I don't really want to see "real" people during an awards show. I'm watching for the celebrities...because...it's supposed to be fun and distracting...remember? 

4. The Fashion - Zendaya clearly won the fashion game this year - both her in-person look and her at home look were stunning. I wasn't a big fan of the necklace with the first look (it looks cheap?), but then that second look is just...so gorgeous. Shira Haas also wore a lovely dress. I didn't really notice anyone else in anything spectacular, but it was kind of hard to tell with everyone sitting in front of a camera. The obvious worst dress was worn by Cynthia Erivo - it just had way to much going on - the contrasting purple & yellow, the fur, the sparkles, the puffy sleeves. Just horrendous. And Julia Garner looked like she was going to a Great Gatsby party (which if she was, she looked cute, but she wasn't...). 

No comments:

Post a Comment