Sunday, February 23, 2020

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Honey Boy - I've written about my love for Shia LaBeouf many (many, many) times on this blog, so I won't bore you by repeating myself. I just think he's really talented and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for this talent. It's super cool that he wrote this movie, based on his own life experience as a child actor with parents who have questionable parental skills. He focuses more on the relationship with his father (in which he portrays in the movie), and it is fascinating to watch. I was surprised at how self-reflexive it is - once the scene with the car crash happened, I was pretty impressed by his honesty (I remember that crash well, and feared it was going to be the end of his career). I think most people are terrified of analyzing their past mistakes and learning from them. It's also a huge success to cast Lucas Hedges in the role of "Otis" (aka Shia). He even changes his voice a little to sound like Shia and he gets it pretty perfect. The kid version of "Otis" is also very good. Unfortunately, I did find the movie itself a little dull. I also didn't find anything special about the way it was directed (as Alma Har'el was listed among the female directors "snubbed" for an Oscar nomination this year, but umm...why exactly should she be nominated for this? I don't get it.).

2. How to Talk to Girls at Parties - Oh my God. What the fuck even is this movie?! I can't tell you if I loved it or loathed it, but it's fucking crazy and for that I have to at least respect it. John Cameron Mitchell is a genius. I saw him perform Hedwig on Broadway, he had broken his leg the day before and still gave one of the best live performances I've ever seen. I was excited about this project simply for him, and for Nicole Kidman in that outfit, but then it got zero traction once it was released. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have a large cult following - it reminds me of Spring just 100x weirder. Elle Fanning is sublime. She never plays it safe and I adore her for that. I don't really want to say much more because I think it's a movie that you just have to experience for yourself, but there is one scene that is worth mentioning - the scene where they sing the punk song together and leave their bodies. It's a stunning visual representation of what it feels like to experience a "connection" with someone - there is so much passion and intensity, and the scene will stay with me forever.

3. Skin - I've never really given Jamie Bell much thought. He's always sort of bored me, but I don't think he's been given many challenging roles (other than the one he's most famous for which I can't think of right now, but I know it involves dancing...maybe?). I mean, he's been in a ton of films, but I don't remember him in anything. On a side note, I just found out last year that's he's married to Kate Mara (the superior Mara sister) and I AM JEALOUS. Anyway, he's unrecognizable in this, and it's definitely a challenging role so kudos to him for finally taking a chance and doing something memorable. The film is in the same territory as American History X (a movie I've only watched once, because it's such a difficult film to watch, but man, is it a great movie). This is just as hard to watch for me - I'm going to drop a nugget of personal information and then quickly move on: my father (who I hate for many reasons, but I'm about to reveal one of the biggest reasons) is a white supremacist. He has "white power" tattooed on his knuckles and is basically human garbage (he was also raised Jewish, which is why American History X is such a tough watch). So, now maybe you can understand why these films hit me a little bit harder. Anyway, as far as the film goes, the first hour drags a lot, but I appreciate that it's a story about someone who is trying to better himself and change his life while also showing how difficult this journey is (and also gives a solid reason as to why someone might stay). I was floored when I found out that it's a true story - what an inspiration this guy is, and it gives me such a glimmer of hope that people, even someone as evil and vile as he was, can, in fact, change.

4. Zombieland: Double Tap - I wasn't the biggest fan of Zombieland - it was overpraised, in my opinion, and it felt like it was one of those films that just tried too hard. I did think some of it was funny, but I don't really remember any of it (it was 10 years ago, but I'm pretty sure I forgot about it like a month after watching it). The sequel is more of the same. Some of it is funny, most of it is trying too hard, but it's mostly unmemorable. I do adore Emma Stone, though. She's just wonderful, so watching her for 2 hours is always entertaining. What's Jesse Eisenberg been up to? I can't remember him in anything other than playing Lex Luther and that Woody Allen film. Also, Abigail Breslin isn't very good, is she? Was Little Miss Sunshine a fluke? Because I don't remember her being good in any other movie. I will admit, the best part of the movie was Zoey Deutch. Her part was pretty cheesy, but she played it well and provided most of the comic relief. For some reason I thought I didn't like her, but I can't think of why.

5. Aladdin (2019) - So unnecessary, but I obviously had to watch it. I think the only way this was going to work is if Robin Williams was still alive and played the live action version of Genie. To have anyone else do it is just downright disrespectful. And I say this as a Will Smith fan. However, I've questioned Smith's choices lately - he hasn't done anything noteworthy in years and some of his films have been downright rough. This is pretty painful to watch - it's an embarrassment for all involved. Especially for Guy Ritchie - I actually can't believe he directed this? Whhhyyy would he think this is a good idea? And why can't he go back to making original films? Also, I just looked him up on IMDB, and apparently there is a Snatch tv show??? How did I not know about this? Snatch is one of my favorite films...ever (I long for another Guy Ritchie/Matthew Vaughn collaboration. What happened, you guys?). Anyway, even though Aladdin was never one of my favorite Disney movies, I did love all of the songs, with "A Whole New World" being among my favorites, and this version almost made my ears bleed. And why did the costumes seem so cheap? The actors who played Aladdin and Jasmine are so dull, too. It's just overall, such a mess. The dance sequence during the credits is the best part of the whole movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment