Sunday, February 16, 2020

3 Thoughts on The Rhythm Section



1. Lively & Law - I've said it before, Blake Lively is a surprisingly great actress. She's proven herself in smaller roles, and she has a presence onscreen that is undeniable. I've also said this before, literally in my last post, but I love Jude Law. My love for him started in the 90s - he was in three of my favorite movies from that decade - The Talented Mr. Ripley, eXistenZ, and Gattaca. He's just soooo charming. Together, they make this film tolerable. Both of them give really strong performances, and have some great (non-romantic) chemistry together. Unfortunately, everything else about the movie isn't so great.

2. The worst title. Ever. - The trailer is pretty strong - very Alias type action with a strong female lead. And it features well-known actors. It should be a strong movie for a February release, but someone made the most baffling decision in naming it The Rhythm Section. It doesn't seem to relate to what is shown in the trailer and it is so forgettable. When I was trying to pick a movie for my mom and I to go see, I almost skipped right over this because my brain didn't register what movie it was. When I described the movie to my mom - she was like, "oh yeah! I want to see that! That's the title??". And I feel like that alone is why this movie is bombing so badly at the box office. Obviously, the mediocre reviews aren't helping. The title is referred to a few times, but it still doesn't make sense to name the whole story after this one weird reference.

3. The worst wig. Ever. - I'm not sure why they made the decision to have Lively look so awful for a majority of the movie? I get in the beginning when she's a drug addicted prostitute, but once she gets healthy and starts training, why not have her start to look a little more like herself (i.e a stunningly beautiful woman)? Do they think it would make her performance seem more "gritty"? Because I think it hurts the movie tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment